Tritium mining is a bad joke out in the black!

I've done better than that in an LTD hotspot, normal can be anything from 80t to 150t per hr in my T9 ice miner 3 x 2D lasers 1 ssd 1 blaster and 11 limpets, I don't bother with cores when getting Tritium.

Tritium mining is such a bad joke mining out in the black.

How soul destroying does FD want to make this game!

The developers simply don't understand exploration. It's understandable that they don't get the difference between using all the gameplay loops for exploration and being out in the black for an extended period of time and having to use those gameplay loops constantly. To understand that they would have to spend weeks or months doing nothing but exploring - but they have to develop the game, so…

The only big mistake they did in regards to FC fuel was to make it a commodity. Since it can be mined and bought to fuel up there is the problem of price.
For Tritium to be mined in a fast way - allowing FCs to get easily refilled in the black - it would have to be a very cheap commodity in order to prevent it from being fast way to make money in the bubble.
Buying Tritium needs to be expensive to make owning and using a FC something of a challenge (or resembling of a challenge in the eyes of the developers since they obviously don't understand how players that don't just play 1 h a week earn credits).

Best solution would have been to make a Tritium something that can't be sold, just mined and bought.

Tritium mining is such a bad joke mining out in the black.
5 hours today exploring trying to find a hot spot or even a multiple over lapping hot spot which I didn't.
So dropped back to a single hot spot and just spent the last 3 hours mining and have only collected 160 units!
In them 3 hours I've only found one asteroid with 33.65% and only a couple of 28% nearly all others are well under 15%
How soul destroying does FD want to make this game!
Hey i'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, this game doesnt have the option to lower the difficulty, like in Mario Kart for example.

Anyways, you'll be mostly welcomed when you feel ready to come back and beat the goals you've set for yourself.

I would also recommend that you ask around how do fleet carrier owners retrieve their tritium to roam around the galaxy. It'll be easier than changing the whole game in your favor.

My Fleet carrier is at EOLLS BLAI GD-A D14-0
If you think you can do better finding a good hot spot with a decent % then please drop over and I'll gladly buy some from you.
Like I said in my first post in 5 hours play this morning trying to find a multiple hot spot to no avail and then dropping back to a single ones each having poor % of tritium.
It should be high % out in the black as no one has been there to mine it!
What sort of price are you willing to pay, I ask because I can either mine or buy but the lowest asking price in the Colonia area is 150k and I have only got 5k on board at the moment.

I would also recommend that you ask around how do fleet carrier owners retrieve their tritium to roam around the galaxy.

I bought a carrier on roll out. Saw all the crazy stuff what with the tritium in flux at the time. The egg etc.
To date I've only mined about 1k tritium. I do mine it just not as much as fdevs want.
Why? Because like most carrier owners we are wealthy enough to spend a few 100 million on fuel.
Stick 12000 tons in it'll last you ages.
Plan journey so you've tritium to get you home if not mine some.
But do not think you can go out into the black using mining tritium as your source of fuel. That will end in tears.
Fill her up and do what l do...I'm out in the black i do a small 50ly jump with the carrier and then get out and scan everything locally. If i find a tritium spot I'll mine 100 or so. That pays for next 50ly jump.
So out of bubble 10x500ly jumps and your into unknown space where you can easily map making a killing If u map high metal contents elws ww's etc.
Hand into carrier UC 12.5%goes straight into the carriers own bank 12.5% goes to the void, and the rest is yours.
Tritium is fine as it is. Just don't be mining fuel to run it...keep your jumps to a minimum.

3 double tritium hotspots.

Coests YX-P a73-0 4

BYOI EURK DK-Y D1-7 AB 4
Eol Prou PC-K c9-221

It's all a matter of balance, & Frontier haven't had this right from the start.

Let's put aside the price of the Carrier & Maintainace Costs, but even from day 1 having Tritium's commodity as a 'quick profit making' item was their biggest mistake, along with not having a 'passive' re-fueling system.
That along with no UC facility on board - later addressed.
Tritium usage by the Carrier - addressed numerous times since.
Tritium's poor availability & yields in Ice Rings, particularly in the black - this apprears to have been effected by every adjustment of every change in Mining that Frontier have made, intentional or not & rarely made more obtainable.

The opinion's show that there's quite a large number of player's, myself included, who can't seem to reach 100 tons or more/hr when Mining Tritium, no matter where they go or how they Mine, doesn't mean we're crap at Mining.
There's surely supposed to be a 'playable' balance here, somewhere in between that doesn't penalise a player because s/he doesn't like Mining & is forced to do it, or run out of fuel.
I'd like to see the market price & it's availability at Stations changed to around 4k/ton - 10k/ton price range with availability more in line to say Hydrogen.
In Rings, it then shouldn't be too difficult to extract from Mining by the modest actions of the players - it's a FUEL afterall not a semi-precious commodity.

Whether, Frontier finally re-balance this fueling issue further, we wait to see.......until then we soldier on.......complaining!

What sort of price are you willing to pay, I ask because I can either mine or buy but the lowest asking price in the Colonia area is 150k and I have only got 5k on board at the moment.
I would pay the maximum amount my carrier will allow me to buy for.
I will be there for some time as where I am is an unexplored neutron star field so I'm exploring that while mapping all Ice rings looking for better hot spots.

Last edited:
A new job for the fuel rats, though it's going to take a long time to go 25K light years with 500T of Tritium on board.

To be honest I fail to understand why the carrier is not capable of just scooping from the stars.

Or has no upkeep and has unlimited jump capability... I mean, having to pay pennies each week to run it, and not being able to jump from the Formadine Rift straight to Beagle Point is so last year, isn't it?

A tripple tritium hotspot gives a 20% 25% at most. But the chances for you to find those in deep space by your own are low to zero.

Really? I must check your observation in the tiny double overlap I found in Colonia region - I thought I was getting much better than that previously!

Even so, this means 1h for every jump give or take. It gets boring and repetitive real fast. Would you not rather be exploring in that time?

You could have unlimited exploration, without mining... But if you choose to pull a FC along, well... Your choice really 🤷‍♂️

LOL.... owch.

Well, next time you're in town, buy up some extra modules: PWS, Cargo, Refineries, Controllers, and Tools. That way you have some options out there

;)

Isn't that standard mining gear that anyone who understood mining was going to be required would be dragging along with them?
I have a dedicated mining Python on both my FC's - and can certainly mine between 100-150t in an hour without getting too bored!

Bzzzzt, wrong answer. I've mined 5,000T of Tritium to extract myself from the fuel nightmare that is Colonia.

I did the same first trip to the bubble from Colonia, plenty of hotspots to be found during the trip as I was flying ahead of the FC all of the way :)

The developers simply don't understand exploration
Or maybe players don't get around to reading the 'mining' part of the FC description?

Really? I must check your observation in the tiny double overlap I found in Colonia region - I thought I was getting much better than that previously!
Yes but 20-25% rocks were fairly consistent in a tripple hotspot. Something like 1 in 2 asteroids was tritium

Yes but 20-25% rocks were fairly consistent in a tripple hotspot. Something like 1 in 2 asteroids was tritium
I arrived back in Colonia last night - I'll nip out to take a look - I'm more than half-interested to see if my memory serves me well with % of the rocks I was finding.

Top Bottom