Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Are you guys arguing about firearm realism details (which, as an European, really are futile..) in a game where characters move just like in Doom or Unreal Tournament, space ships have instant infinite power and magic local gravity, and where there is noise in space ?

*in a game that prides itself on fidelity.

I'm no gun nerd, so this is above me, but I know I feel the same about ED outpost design that rotates you to launch you facing the approach vector of the next ship waiting for pad. A stupid design is a stupid design.

What FUDstery is this? The buttons are of perfect size, carefully measured by Holy Roberts himself.
It's like suggesting to make those pixels blue.

Meanwhile, behold! CI-G proudly presents you... a hair dryer!!
PqCwjjq.png
so that thin mag has .50 cal ammo in it? is that the bullet coming out sideways? I guess the mag fits lengthways under the barrel then?, it says .50 X 12 but doesn't look like there's room for 12 bullets in there to me

Ah, thanks for reminding me of that. Note to self: Even Newton's Laws have to give way to fideliltitlitlity... or however CRobberts spells that.
"Fidelity" is the second rule. The first is "rule of fun". Like the sounds in space simulated by the helmet because space game with sound is more fun than without...

so that thin mag has .50 cal ammo in it? is that the bullet coming out sideways? I guess the mag fits lengthways under the barrel then?, it says .50 X 12 but doesn't look like there's room for 12 bullets in there to me
Just look at my second video if you want to know more. The mag has 8 ammunitions not 12. And it seems they are caseless, there is no ejection on this specific pistol (i don't see ejection on the video).

That thing below? It's just a spare AA battery holder, don't you see? In the year of 2950 batteries have advanced enough to power hair dryers.
And the markings about ammo are purely aesthetic, to support that tacticool feeling.

"Fidelity" is the second rule. The first is "rule of fun". Like the sounds in space simulated by the helmet because space game with sound is more fun than without...

Just look at my second video if you want to know more. The mag has 8 ammunitions not 12. And it seems they are caseless, there is no ejection on this specific pistol (i don't see ejection on the video).

Cheers for the vid, makes more sense now how it works, although the mags writing does state it is 12 rounds

Okay, hold your horses, let me get this straight: when the trigger is pulled longer, a freezing agent is sprayed into the firing chamber, freezing the cartridge (and round) so completely, thoroughly, that it shatters into fragments, which then are blown outwards?

I do not know that much about guns, but that seems a pretty weird concept. Firstly, the entire gun has to be able to withstand the strain of going from fairly warm to super cold and back (unless they've found an incredible insulation agent), not to mention issues with the payload. A shattered bullet's fragments will provide lousy ballistics. But, hey, what do I know... ;) o_O

I thought you were being snide then I read the description in the link....o_O

Are you guys arguing about firearm realism details (which, as an European, really are futile..) in a game where characters move just like in Doom or Unreal Tournament, space ships have instant infinite power and magic local gravity, and where there is noise in space ? Why not start with the aero design for most ships which would lead them to at least flip over in atmo almost immediately, or their thruster design that is so far still unrelated to the actual thrust they produce, or magic acceleration suppression for people standing inside, etc.

Cos we have done that already.

Okay, hold your horses, let me get this straight: when the trigger is pulled longer, a freezing agent is sprayed into the firing chamber, freezing the cartridge (and round) so completely, thoroughly, that it shatters into fragments, which then are blown outwards?

I do not know that much about guns, but that seems a pretty weird concept. Firstly, the entire gun has to be able to withstand the strain of going from fairly warm to super cold and back (unless they've found an incredible insulation agent), not to mention issues with the payload. A shattered bullet's fragments will provide lousy ballistics. But, hey, what do I know... ;) o_O

It shatters the gun for even more damage then it regrows. It's solid mechanic - you can't do anything with it while it grows back but the damage increase is significant.

Hard to say what is realistic or not for science fiction guns when you see what is available now.
From the P90 with its top-mounted magazine with ammo at 90°
300px-P90--.png

to plastic guns
130916081209-3d-printed-gun-super-tease.jpg

caseless ammo
9VZgkRG.jpg

or real railgun
I like these retro futuristic things, They fire rocket powered ammo. It didn't catch on. But in a sci fi setting unusual gun designs are cool.

I was just questioning the .50 cal ammo really. That pistol must be massive if there are 12 .50 bullets in that mag

I like these retro futuristic things, They fire rocket powered ammo. It didn't catch on. But in a sci fi setting unusual gun designs are cool.

I was just questioning the .50 cal ammo really. That pistol must be massive if there are 12 .50 bullets in that mag

They are a thing in Cyberpunk 2020 space setting, because they have little (or no?) recoil. Also AP ammo is severely frowned on in space.

Also: space compression ftw.

Wonder if they are in the Cyberpunk game? I know it has futuristic stuff like homing ammo.
Dunno, they are not so good vs std firearms. In the combat zone you want AP ammo, high RoF. I think the implants are carried over to the new CP ruleset, so maybe the guns too? CP 2077 releases along new rulebook for the tabletop and I think orients to that.

Top Bottom