Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

One friend of mine had that, when he saw my WW2 era bolt action rifle reaction was "bah old bolt action, it cannot do anything nowadays. I said to that, actually that gun is bear hunt legal even nowadays...."

Well proper flintlock pistol is pretty dangerous, it can kill one pretty dead even today. Humans usually do not like of getting hit with balls of lead flying at high speeds. It is kind of funny misconception. Obsolete weapon being not dangerous....
Not how I really meant the comment :)

I'm a combat veteran... as such and having been at the wrong end of quite a variety of weaponry fired by people who seemed not to like me very much, I understand reasonably well how dangerous firearms can be, believe me. During my life I've also live fired many types of firearm... from a 15th century matchlock musket up to and including the 120mm main armament on a Chieftain tank and most types of hand held ordinance in between :)

Last edited:
Yep, top ejecting. That is why the 1894 Winchester has such a bad reputation in the firearms community.

Look at this, it is awful

You shoulder those, you don't look like you should that handgun,

With that handgun the recoil, being a 50cal, will result in the ejection port pointing at your face with a standard stance.

With the 84 and 82 this is not the case as it is in your shoulder and also such the case comes out over your head, though I often find empty cases in the brim of my hat.

Last edited:
You shoulder those, you don't look like you should that handgun,

With that handgun the recoil will result in the ejection port pointing at your face with a standard stance.

With the 84 and 82 this is not the case as it is in your shoulder and also such the case comes out over your head, though I often find empty cases in the brim of my hat.

Thats fine. I always wear eye protection while firing in game.

W5XDxY6.png

Quoting Sarsa from SA, because i like his summaries of ISC

It's time for another week's episode of

emot-siren.gif
INSIDE STAR CITIZEN
emot-siren.gif

The show you will watch in the hopes of gleaning even the slightest shred of information about the jpeg you bought last week for 600 dollars, you complete loving rube!

Today's summary:

* This one is going to be a post-sale advertisement for the Perseus. The ship you can't buy anymore. Okay?

* They are explaining the rock-paper-scissors theory of capital ship management. Destroyer = can fight other big ships. Carrier = only sort of capable of fighting other big ships? Also, the Idris, a frigate, is smaller than the destroyer, and is a carrier even though it can only hold 2 fighters... I'm not sure that CIG has collectively read even one book on naval warfare.

* Anyway the Perseus is a fleet defense ship. It can shoot other ships, that aren't quite capital ships! As opposed to the Hammerhead, which costs 700 dollars now but they're saying is only meant to shoot small ships- in reality it is in the game and totally useless because you need 6 other players to crew your turrets, and they can't hit anything. Or the Polaris, which costs 700 dollars but is now said to be meant to torpedo capital ships, but actually they sold that as a "Fleet headquarters" originally and not as some part of some grand flotilla at all, so whoops oh well gently caress it buy the new ship, purpose guaranteed to change by the time it is released.

* Like every other large ship in the game, all of its firepower is in turrets that you will have to entice other players to crew. Naturally this makes it totally useless for the single-captain meta that Star Citizen actually occupies, and any fleet battle featuring even two of these ships on either side would eat half the pop of an entire server, but who cares about reality?

* They seem to build every 600-700 dollar ship around a crew of 6 now but they don't actually have anything for the 3 additional people to do here so they just kind of cram the beds and seats in and write "TBD" on them. Nothing to worry about.

* Jared is talking, skip skip- wha? He says the ship is still available for purchase? Did they drag out the sale or something?

* Okay now we're talking about tractor beams, a basic feature of the CryEngine physics system. Never been done before! (Somebody posted in the sub a video of them using this exact tractor-beam-handgun in SATABALL videos, six years ago).

* You can pick up and move stuff with the tractor beam. I don't know how this can occupy more than 30 seconds of video time. It's the gravity gun from HL2. Every game has one of these, and has had one of these, for 20 years. They even show it generating the same glitches as the HL2 gun, like picking up an object you're standing on. It's like they're innovating backwards even further in time.

* Naturally, this 20 year old technology has so many bugs and broken edges that they can't release it yet.

* Oops that's it! Hope you weren't looking to see anything about, say, the entirely empty roadmap for next year's development- byeeeee!

Maybe I play too much Rule the Waves 2 but..
It is surprising the 2 fighters get Irdris carries were not imagined like float planes rather than devoting all that same to a deck.

Or I suppose to use a SC equivalent
Like the parasite that goes with the Constellation.

Double its fighter compliment and have on maintenance bay

* You can pick up and move stuff with the tractor beam. I don't know how this can occupy more than 30 seconds of video time. It's the gravity gun from HL2. Every game has one of these, and has had one of these, for 20 years. They even show it generating the same glitches as the HL2 gun, like picking up an object you're standing on. It's like they're innovating backwards even further in time.

I do like this quote contrasted with the hysterical backers freaking out that there is no such thing as hand held tractor beam and it is going to ruin the game/immersion.

1JXnZkT.png

Old news : it's the Salvo Frag Pistol here since 3.7.0

Okay, hold your horses, let me get this straight: when the trigger is pulled longer, a freezing agent is sprayed into the firing chamber, freezing the cartridge (and round) so completely, thoroughly, that it shatters into fragments, which then are blown outwards?

I do not know that much about guns, but that seems a pretty weird concept. Firstly, the entire gun has to be able to withstand the strain of going from fairly warm to super cold and back (unless they've found an incredible insulation agent), not to mention issues with the payload. A shattered bullet's fragments will provide lousy ballistics. But, hey, what do I know... ;) o_O

Okay, hold your horses, let me get this straight: when the trigger is pulled longer, a freezing agent is sprayed into the firing chamber, freezing the cartridge (and round) so completely, thoroughly, that it shatters into fragments, which then are blown outwards?

I do not know that much about guns, but that seems a pretty weird concept. Firstly, the entire gun has to be able to withstand the strain of going from fairly warm to super cold and back (unless they've found an incredible insulation agent), not to mention issues with the payload. A shattered bullet's fragments will provide lousy ballistics. But, hey, what do I know... ;) o_O
…also, there's the strange notion that Newton's laws of motion work differently because you freeze things.

I do like this quote contrasted with the hysterical backers freaking out that there is no such thing as hand held tractor beam and it is going to ruin the game/immersion.

1JXnZkT.png
Yeah that's fair, I mean, Valve is a very obscure and peripheral indie developer so it's not all that strange that someone interested in sci-fi would have never heard of them.

Last edited:
Are you guys arguing about firearm realism details (which, as an European, really are futile..) in a game where characters move just like in Doom or Unreal Tournament, space ships have instant infinite power and magic local gravity, and where there is noise in space ? Why not start with the aero design for most ships which would lead them to at least flip over in atmo almost immediately, or their thruster design that is so far still unrelated to the actual thrust they produce, or magic acceleration suppression for people standing inside, etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom