Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

What does it mean to play a game in alpha ?
Nothing, you usually don't have access to alpha...

Hold on, what are backers talking about then when they talk about companies release buggy unifished games? Aren't they on a par with Star Citizen alpha in the eyes of faithful citizens?

Oh no, silly me. For them released products by other companies are worse than SC's alpha.

Hard to say what is realistic or not for science fiction guns when you see what is available now.
It's really not, since all of those operate on known and simple principles like action/reaction, the continuity of size of space and so on. The blithering idiocy in the SC lore ignores all of that by suggesting that objects move in the opposite direction to the force applied to them; that ammunition is larger outside the mag than inside it; that gas laws and aerodynamics are malleable; that moving parts do not need any room to move and so on.

Your examples are purposefully designed to solve and/or use specific mechanical, chemical, and physical issues, features, and constraints. The artists at CI¬G are wholly clueless about all those facets and thus create something that has no relation to realism whatsoever. They've heard of some concept or other but failed to actually read up on or research it in any way, instead fantasising about what it could have meant if the words they read were not referring to an actual real thing.

Hold on, what are backers talking about then when they talk about companies release buggy unifished games? Aren't they on a par with Star Citizen alpha in the eyes of faithful citizens?
Oh no, silly me. For them released products by other companies are worse than SC's alpha.
No, every released game has far less bugs than Star Citizen. You have to provide links of backers saying that SC has less bugs than any released game of the market. I want to see it myself...

The real message is, if you find bugs in released games, don't expect not finding worse ones in a real alpha.

If the released RDR2 can get you in orbit once in a while, you can sunk in planet with no shame in SC alpha every hours.

The artists at CI¬G are wholly clueless about all those facets and thus create something that has no relation to realism whatsoever.
Holy Roberts teaching his artists Tier0 Physics:

iu

Core Gameplay Director at CI-G:
1607081939954.png

"Fidelity" is the second rule. The first is "rule of fun". Like the sounds in space simulated by the helmet because space game with sound is more fun than without...

No, really? o_O ;)
It's an issue I have with such games in general: they focus on shiny, shiny, shiny. Gameplay mechanics come last, if they enter the equation at all.

The point is that CRobberts and his merry band tool around, NOT delivering what they promised in the first place, and, just like magpies, they get so hung up about shiny stuff that they do not get around to doing what backers payed them so lavishly for: deliver a game. FIRST the basics, THEN add the glitz. Roberts and his gang are doing it the other way around, and no end is in sight, forcing them (ultimately) to refactor everything, 'cause by the time this game finally gets going in earnest, it'll be eclipsed.

I mean, seriously. 2022 is being bandied about already, a date so optimistic that anybody seriously believing that should have a good friend take away their wallet from them. 100 systems were promised. 100. Delivered? One, incomplete. With technical debt piling up like that, it is simply moronic to add more and more shiny stuff. Oh, wait, I take that back. It's an insult to morons to claim that. So, we have three choices here: either it's absolutely irresponsible, or it's a scam, or well-meaning people with the attention span of your average kitten are in charge. Sorry, that's the way I see this.

Edit: OF COURSE other games have bugs. Many have game-breaking bugs. I-War 2, a game I loved and played a lot, had at least two game-breaking ones, which, when triggered, would not allow you to continue the campaign. Back to the last savegame (which was bad, 'cause one bug tripped after having spent some time on a mission).

The thing that ticks me off is that SC is, after 8 years, still in Alpha, yet people get gouged. Hundreds, even thousands of bucks for spaceships... insane. People are being encouraged to dream, encouraged, as CI (emphatically NOT G!) puts out ever more ideas.

Last edited:
No, every released game has far less bugs than Star Citizen. You have to provide links of backers saying that SC has less bugs than any released game of the market. I want to see it myself...

The real message is, if you find bugs in released games, don't expect not finding worse ones in a real alpha.

If the released RDR2 can get you in orbit once in a while, you can sunk in planet with no shame in SC alpha every hours.

I guess you don't read /r/sc and the comments of the faithful there. One of the foundations of the jokes and jibes we tell here are built on the faithful saying things like SC already is better than the half-finished buggy messes released by publishers. Hell, CR practically built his early pitch for SC on the back of saying how he could do better than the big publishers.

Remember when CR said that every dollar given to CIG was worth 5 dollars given to a publisher. If true, SC is already effectively the first >1 billion dollar alpha!

dayrth

Volunteer Moderator
....when the trigger is pulled longer, a freezing agent is sprayed into the firing chamber, freezing the cartridge (and round) so completely, thoroughly, that it shatters into fragments, which then are blown outwards?....

This implies that the gun doesn't fire until the trigger is released :confused:

I guess you don't read /r/sc and the comments of the faithful there. One of the foundations of the jokes and jibes we tell here are built on the faithful saying things like SC already is better than the half-finished buggy messes released by publishers. Hell, CR practically built his early pitch for SC on the back of saying how he could do better than the big publishers.

Remember when CR said that every dollar given to CIG was worth 5 dollars given to a publisher. If true, SC is already effectively the first >1 billion dollar alpha!
Yes, and that implies also the number of bugs. They multiply too.

What does it mean to play a game in alpha ?
Nothing, you usually don't have access to alpha...
Neither do we have any other game in this world that is been stuck for almost a decade in alpha and BTW how much more you believe you can bring that "alpha"prefix before it become really tasteless?

Last edited:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/k637vb Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/k637vb/star_citizen_is_no_longer_buggiest_game_that_has/

Top Bottom