ANNOUNCEMENT Odyssey Update 2021

Greetings Commanders,

We wanted to share an update with you regarding the ongoing development of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey.

2020 was a difficult year for many, but in spite of those challenges we are pleased with our progress towards what is a truly ambitious new era for the game. We’ve been delighted with the excitement and positive response to our development diaries, interviews, streams and trailers and want to thank all of you for your continued support.

The ongoing impact of the pandemic however, including the renewed lockdowns in 2021, continues to put added pressure on our teams and ultimately our development timeline. We have therefore had to make the difficult decision to make some adjustments and changes to our existing development roadmap.

Our PC plans have only been affected by a small amount, however our plans for the console release will unfortunately see a larger development shift. Please do know that these difficult decisions have been made with a focus on making Odyssey as incredible as it can possibly be for all our Commanders regardless of their platform, while also respecting realistic project deadlines for our teams during this difficult global situation.

We would like to sincerely apologise to all of our community. We know you have been waiting patiently and how disappointing and frustrating this must be. With that in mind, we would like to share with you our latest roadmap so that you are fully aware of our plans.

Alpha – early spring 2021
We are continuing with plans to bring Alpha access to our PC players and get boots on the ground. This will now be a little later than originally planned, in early spring.

Much like our original Elite Dangerous release, we will be taking a phased approach to our Alpha, bringing new features and systems online throughout the period. This will allow us to focus and best consider our community feedback while also providing vital user testing on key areas of the game. We will be sharing further information including details of feature drops and Alpha plans as we get closer to release.

Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Deluxe Alpha and Lifetime Expansion Pass holders will get access to this release.

PC release – late spring 2021
Following the completion of our Alpha phase we are targeting a full launch on PC in late spring.

As with every era in Elite Dangerous’ history, we will be closely engaging with our community and continuing to react to feedback refining Odyssey through to the console launch.

Elite Dangerous: Odyssey pre orders will be able to access the game with this release.

Console release – autumn 2021

After continued feedback, iterations and balancing, we are targeting our release on PlayStation®4 and Xbox One in the autumn of this year.

We understand that for many, this additional delay will be frustrating. Once again, we would like to apologise wholeheartedly to our community, especially our console Commanders. However, as mentioned previously, we feel it is vital to ensure that the content being released on consoles meets the highest standards and this will require this additional extension to our roadmap.

Throughout this time we will continue to bring more news, videos and content of the development in progress. We would like to thank you all for the ongoing support and we are very excited to bring in this new era to the game with you. Your feedback, support and involvement is a vital part of this process and we are looking forward to a shared Alpha experience, which will be touching down very soon.

o7 Commanders
I just want to inform you on what's going to happen sir of you leave consoles out of the alpha.

I can understand the Xbox One and PS4, but the Next-Gen would be perfect for a alpha, furthermore if you leave consoles out of it, then when you release it on consoles we're gonna have to adjust to our own bugs for x period of time thus destroying the need for an alpha PC run in the first place.

May I suggest actually throwing the Next-Gen Commanders in to the fray to pave way for the Console-Generation aswell?

Commander
Cpt Jack Sasmson

From their stock market announcement, seems reasonable. The whole "argh, 6 months to port to console!!!" is nonsense:

Elite Dangerous: Odyssey is expected to release on PC, the biggest platform for Elite Dangerous, before the end of the financial year (which ends on 31 May 2021), albeit slightly later than our initial target for Q1 2021 (January to March). This will be preceded by an alpha period. Our plan for PlayStation and Xbox is to submit console versions for approval as soon as possible after we have released on PC, rather than putting the console developments of Odyssey under additional time pressure by planning for a simultaneous PC/console launch. PlayStation and Xbox console releases will therefore now come in FY22.

Odyssey console-delay has nothing to do with exploration as far as I can see, you can already in Horizon explore all systems that will be available in odyssey also, and get your name as a first to discover / map it.

Though it might be that you will miss bubble "first discovery / mapping" renamed for the 3rd (?) time, pretty sure you won´t miss much...
Even if so, people are already living there, who cares you got your name on a planet 2021?

As i said: I'm not at all concerned about discovering new systems.
But: Until now, as a console player, I always felt I was one step behind. I was never really there when history was being made. My anticipation for Odyssey was so great because I could finally have been a part of it.

As i said: I'm not at all concerned about discovering new systems.
But: Until now, as a console player, I always felt I was one step behind. I was never really there when history was being made. My anticipation for Odyssey was so great because I could finally have been a part of it.

I doubt there is much happening in first months only for Odyssey players, that we have not already seen or will continue to see in slightly different forms in coming years.

Deleted member 182079

D
Thanks for the update, I guess the continued silence about a firm Alpha release was the writing on the wall.

Am a bit disappointed but not entirely surprised - am just glad I didn't pre-order already (in part due to the lack of a clear and concise roadmap). I reckon the consoles delay is due to optimisation issues, but am relieved that the PC version isn't pushed back as a result of that as that wouldn't make commercial sense at all, if it's ready.

Even the often quoted Cyberpunk 2077 actually plays just fine on PC (I enjoyed it greatly since launch, despite the lack of polish in various areas), getting next gen titles released on outdated hardware is the problem really (should be less so the case for Odyssey but who knows).

But to those who moan about 'disadvantages' due to PC players getting a headstart, well if you're narcissistic enough to needing your CMDR name plastered over some system map bodies in high traffic systems (I guess that's what people are really on about, right?) then just buy a copy on PC - you can play the game on a pocket calculator potato these days so no excuses re hardware cost.

I know that for many it will be frustrating the delay of Odyssey, that I include myself in them. But I also understand the reasons for the launch delay. I sincerely expected this delay because of how U.K. with COVID. Also and already speaking of the project I prefer that they delay it before something happens like what happened with Cyberpunk. From my point of view, all my support for Frontier especially for having communicated it and being honest with the community. Greetings to all

Yep, I do live in the UK, and I'm very much aware of Covid and its effects. I lost my job at the start of December because of contracting Covid myself back in October (still recovering). So please don't patronise me because I'm not drinking the Frontier Koolaid. I just have a different POV because of my experiences, which makes Frontier's statement smell bad. 🤷‍♀️

You must have long-covid then if your sense of smell is still off.

Best of luck in your recovery.

Greetings Commanders,

We wanted to share an update with you regarding the ongoing development of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey.

2020 was a difficult year for many, but in spite of those challenges we are pleased with our progress towards what is a truly ambitious new era for the game. We’ve been delighted with the excitement and positive response to our development diaries, interviews, streams and trailers and want to thank all of you for your continued support.

The ongoing impact of the pandemic however, including the renewed lockdowns in 2021, continues to put added pressure on our teams and ultimately our development timeline. We have therefore had to make the difficult decision to make some adjustments and changes to our existing development roadmap.

Our PC plans have only been affected by a small amount, however our plans for the console release will unfortunately see a larger development shift. Please do know that these difficult decisions have been made with a focus on making Odyssey as incredible as it can possibly be for all our Commanders regardless of their platform, while also respecting realistic project deadlines for our teams during this difficult global situation.

We would like to sincerely apologise to all of our community. We know you have been waiting patiently and how disappointing and frustrating this must be. With that in mind, we would like to share with you our latest roadmap so that you are fully aware of our plans.

Alpha – early spring 2021
We are continuing with plans to bring Alpha access to our PC players and get boots on the ground. This will now be a little later than originally planned, in early spring.

Much like our original Elite Dangerous release, we will be taking a phased approach to our Alpha, bringing new features and systems online throughout the period. This will allow us to focus and best consider our community feedback while also providing vital user testing on key areas of the game. We will be sharing further information including details of feature drops and Alpha plans as we get closer to release.

Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Deluxe Alpha and Lifetime Expansion Pass holders will get access to this release.

PC release – late spring 2021
Following the completion of our Alpha phase we are targeting a full launch on PC in late spring.

As with every era in Elite Dangerous’ history, we will be closely engaging with our community and continuing to react to feedback refining Odyssey through to the console launch.

Elite Dangerous: Odyssey pre orders will be able to access the game with this release.

Console release – autumn 2021

After continued feedback, iterations and balancing, we are targeting our release on PlayStation®4 and Xbox One in the autumn of this year.

We understand that for many, this additional delay will be frustrating. Once again, we would like to apologise wholeheartedly to our community, especially our console Commanders. However, as mentioned previously, we feel it is vital to ensure that the content being released on consoles meets the highest standards and this will require this additional extension to our roadmap.

Throughout this time we will continue to bring more news, videos and content of the development in progress. We would like to thank you all for the ongoing support and we are very excited to bring in this new era to the game with you. Your feedback, support and involvement is a vital part of this process and we are looking forward to a shared Alpha experience, which will be touching down very soon.

o7 Commanders

How will this gap affect the in-game story arc and community goals? Will PC captains simply have a leg up on this as well or will the push on the story arc also be delayed until console is updated?

Oddessy was supposed to be the experience for me which I never had with Elite itself.

When I discovered the game I learned that many CMDRS before me had their name on things! The only thing I could do was watch at it and their name tag.

I waited patiently for Oddessy, to be among the group that embarks on a brand new journey.

Now that is also being ripped away. Us console players can join when all the taggings and visitations have been done, great... :(

I feel also on a personal level, more than ever that I'll have to reduce and skip Elite Media / streams by the community later in the year. I'm not having it, seeing and learning everything about legs but not being able to play.
I understand your feelings, if it's of any consolation i came recently back to the game, headed in the black not far from the bubble, and still found entire systems not even scanned to claim first discovery tag! (I mean on PC!)

It's disappointment, but not a joke. I can understand your frustration, but would you feel better if a half baked game was released? I don't like bugs, personally, so I find it more acceptable to wait. Time flies, anyway. You'll see.
My only annoyance with it is if there is a first stepped on a planet trophy similar to first discovered, mapped i would be annoyed because xbox players like myself wont be able to do it until autumn which means pc will have named alot of the planets in the bubble.

How will this gap affect the in-game story arc and community goals? Will PC captains simply have a leg up on this as well or will the push on the story arc also be delayed until console is updated?

it's a good question, my gut feeling is that the story will continue as planned and any CG that is foot related will possibly have a ship alternative alongside it
was there any planet based CG's after horizon was launched?

I think / hope that the "phased approach" can imply that the story arc is delayed until console release. So getting the basics working and maybe getting rid of a few worst showstopper bugs before that.

General delay... disappointing but not unexpected. Separate console version delay... very disappointing and an unpleasant surprise. However, I do understand the general delay given the circumstances.

Having said that I have looked at every bit of Odyssey footage so far with the phrase "How is this going to look/run on consoles" floating around my head.

My opinion is that ED even in its current version doesn't perform particularly well on console. Things like the infamous disco shadows, the LOD popping, the micro-stuttering and 'pulsing' frame rates you get around scooping stars and in regions with higher star-density (ED's performance on console actually degrades the closer you get to Sag A*).

Of course I don't expect my console to have the performance of a modern gaming PC, but I'm not comparing my console version of ED to the PC version, I'm comparing ED on console to all the other games I play on the same console, not just platform exclusives but well-known multi-platform titles too. The Cobra game engine is PC-based so the console versions of ED are essentially ports, but IMHO they're just not great ports, or maybe just not well-optimised.

On this revised schedule we have now (assuming there are no further delays) the new-gen consoles will have been around almost a year by the time Odyssey reaches last-gen consoles. I know FD currently have "no plans" for new-gen specific console versions but I hope - given this extra delay - that they might at least be able to shoe-horn some extra graphics options into the console versions so that new-gen console CMDRs can at least open up some performance and resolution improvements from their new-gen machines.

Top Bottom