Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Sidewinder Fuel Finder

Do we get any extra points for completing a run with a Braben Tunnel? 😂

:cry: A Braben Tunnel with Yellow Adders and Orange Sidewinders just ruined what might have been my best and last run of the day, 1 jump out from Fuelum 🤬
Turned a low 40 minute into a 52 minute run.

Since we got a good few submissions already: Have a scoarboard... more to come...

Schermafbeelding 2021-01-17 om 18.14.44.png

Do we get any extra points for completing a run with a Braben Tunnel? 😂

:cry: A Braben Tunnel with Yellow Adders and Orange Sidewinders just ruined what might have been my best and last run of the day, 1 jump out from Fuelum 🤬
Turned a low 40 minute into a 52 minute run.
Not sure you want more points in a race where the LOWEST number (time) wins :p

After a day filled with looping stations, server disconnects and lightly toasted Sidewinders, looping Wollheim Visions and then having issues with the landing gear on the last run is fitting. I have no more runs left in me and have to concede defeat to Goosefraba (and whoever else manages to improve before the deadline). It's been a great race, thanks to Hojothefool for organising it and hope to see more like it in the future 🥳

All the best to you racers using the last 2 hours. I wanted to join you but logging in for the first time in a year I find I'm a long way away. In a type 9!
Hey Cheetah - shame you couldn't make it, woulda been cool to have a veteran from the original EZ Buckyball Runs turn up at the 11th hour! Maybe the next one?

:cool:

TIME IS UP!!!
My first Buckyball race as a organiser is a fact.
This was a wonderfull experience!! Thanks to all contestants for taking part!

Here is the final Scoreboard

Schermafbeelding 2021-01-18 om 01.12.53.png

YOU ARE FREE TO ADD MORE ATTEMPTS + SCREENSHOTS as a response here but the form will be closed and i won't be updating the Scoreboard!

See you in the next race and Get Jumpin'

o7

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2021-01-18 om 01.00.34.png
    Schermafbeelding 2021-01-18 om 01.00.34.png
    136.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Schermafbeelding 2021-01-17 om 18.14.44.png
    Schermafbeelding 2021-01-17 om 18.14.44.png
    136.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Just wanted to thank @Hojothefool for organising this race (first of 3307) and coming up with such an excellent concept in the first place. Sorry I wasn't able to take part ... which leaves me curious. What were people's tactics for this one? From the test run I did for hojo during planning it seemed like there was only really one way to get to Ngalia and that all the real competition would come in the second half. What we people's half-way outfitting choices and was there a trade-off between how long you spent in outfitting and the improvements gained?

After much thinking I went with a 3 stop/refuel run to Ngalia using a mix of efficient and best range jumps, then went with a D rated set up with A rated fsd and Dist. Then filled the holds with fuel for a no stop 16 jump last section. Seemed ok overall.
I thought I had found the best route I could, but that means you beat me on the first leg to Ngalia by more than a minute. I only had 13 jumps on the last leg and lost maybe 5 seconds from obscured jump points. Also had 3 stops on the way to Ngalia, with a total of 19 jumps and a mixture of fastest/eco routes.
Refit was D everything but powerplant and fuel scoop wich was A. I did try D class powerplant but it lead to an unfortunate meltdown of the Sidewinder.

Just wanted to thank @Hojothefool for organising this race (first of 3307) and coming up with such an excellent concept in the first place. Sorry I wasn't able to take part ... which leaves me curious. What were people's tactics for this one? From the test run I did for hojo during planning it seemed like there was only really one way to get to Ngalia and that all the real competition would come in the second half. What we people's half-way outfitting choices and was there a trade-off between how long you spent in outfitting and the improvements gained?
I D-rated everything except FSD and Fuel Scoop at Ngalia. My late-night post-deadline thoughts – after saying I was pretty sure I couldn't go any faster – was whether say leaving the sensors or life support at E-rated would give me the same number of jumps from Ngalia to Fuelum, or if the jumps saved would be outweighed by (I didn't time it lol) how long actually refitting the modules takes. I didn't try to do anything clever once I had a fuel scoop, just set destination for Fuelum, filtered to main sequence stars, so I'm sure time could have been saved on that leg but I couldn't be bothered. I might see how many jumps it gives me to convince myself to try something cleverer next time

I also could only see one way in principle out of Celaeno via whatyacallems Zeta, Epsilon and Delta but by setting a couple of well-chosen intermediary waypoints I managed to trick the route plotter into giving me what I felt was a fairly minimal # of jumps, 3, 3, 4 and 7 (down from 3, 3, 5 and 9 for my first posted run)

Last edited:
I guess switching between fastest and best half way along must have been a good call, It was close on fuel, and as I said before, any interdiction was a suicide job. I hate running on fumes lololol.

Top Bottom