Switching from Console to PC for Odyssey?

Sad that Frontier delayed the release of Odyssey for console players, which in any event, cannot do cross-platform play.

I would enjoy meeting some of the dedicated console players I see here in my PC game, if they switched platforms, like maybe "@TheSisko".

Are there any commanders considering a move to PC just for Odyssey's release?

Hopefully everybody else would follow and consoles would finally die in a dark hole screaming...

Consoles have been a part of the computer gaming landscape since computer games were invented.

All were a proprietary form of computers, using cartridges of one kind or another, but I doubt they will ever die.

They have their advocates as do PC's. Their costs now rival that of a PC but always limited in some respect as to performance.

The limitations of consoles seems to be their greatest pitfall in multi-player gaming, as well as the static nature of their proprietary hardware over time.

Although the multiplayer games evolve over time, development of multiplayer games for consoles always seems to be a roadblock, in some instances, downgrading PC performance to be compatible.

I’d consider it if I could keep my paint jobs that I have accumulated over the years. I highly doubt FDev would honor purchases made through another platform even though they ultimately received the money I spent.

I really don’t get the console-hating these days. I used to build computers and preferred the games on that format because in every conceivable category they were superior.

As I get older, despite having a load more money my most precious commodity is time; I just don’t have enough to fiddle around getting the latest drivers for everything, downloading patches and ironing out defects unique to my build or ubiquitous to a (for example new) graphics card etc.

Now, you turn the console on, it always works barring extremely rare crashes back to ‘home’.

The games are mostly the same (unlike a few decades ago where the whole game architecture was different on both formats), just with lower quality visuals that really don’t impact the gameplay because they’re still really good.

PC is better anyway. I used to be a console pleb, but my brother helped me see why PC's are just better at parsing information and make better machines that you can maintain instead of buying whatever outdated crap Microsoft brings out. Their new console is outdated.

You've made a better move.

Consoles have been a part of the computer gaming landscape since computer games were invented.

Nowadays, consoles are just PCs in a console shell that keeps you from doing anything a PC normally can and can not be upgraded, mandating obsolescence. All for a chunk of change that would have been sufficient to turn the computer you almost certainly already own into a gaming machine.

I really don’t get the console-hating these days.

Games being released for PC and consoles inevitably mean PC gamers suddenly are shackled by console limitations. Irritating when one plays on PC primarily for the relative lack of limitations, only for it to be strapped onto your back regardless.

The games are mostly the same (unlike a few decades ago where the whole game architecture was different on both formats), just with lower quality visuals that really don’t impact the gameplay because they’re still really good.

. . . and control differences that are absolutely enormous in some genres (like flight games), community made content, game tech that isn't tied to the product cycles of 3 corporations (not just graphics), and the general ambitions of developers themselves. The decisions surrounding all of these things are impacted heavily the moment console implementation is a thing.

Even when a cross platform game isn't gimped by console inclusion, there are often aggravations. I've been really into Deep Rock Galactic recently and recommended it to a family member. When he informed me he only uses Xbox, I looked into it and was happy to see DRG is on Xbox. Then I found out that Xbox DRG players can only play with PC players if the PC players purchased the game through Microsoft. So my only option to play with him in DRG is to buy the same game twice, and have two game accounts to 'level'. Thanks, Xbox. 😑 Life on a console is very akin to being an Apple customer. Purchase of their products comes with consent for them to lord over your experience. Cross platform often means that totalitarian experience that I hate extends to me, despite not signing up for it.

Nowadays, consoles are just PCs in a console shell that keeps you from doing anything a PC normally can and can not be upgraded, mandating obsolescence. All for a chunk of change that would have been sufficient to turn the computer you almost certainly already own into a gaming machine.

Games being released for PC and consoles inevitably mean PC gamers suddenly are shackled by console limitations. Irritating when one plays on PC primarily for the relative lack of limitations, only for it to be strapped onto your back regardless.

. . . and control differences that are absolutely enormous in some genres (like flight games), community made content, game tech that isn't tied to the product cycles of 3 corporations (not just graphics), and the general ambitions of developers themselves. The decisions surrounding all of these things are impacted heavily the moment console implementation is a thing.

Even when a cross platform game isn't gimped by console inclusion, there are often aggravations. I've been really into Deep Rock Galactic recently and recommended it to a family member. When he informed me he only uses Xbox, I looked into it and was happy to see DRG is on Xbox. Then I found out that Xbox DRG players can only play with PC players if the PC players purchased the game through Microsoft. So my only option to play with him in DRG is to buy the same game twice, and have two game accounts to 'level'. Thanks, Xbox. 😑 Life on a console is very akin to being an Apple customer. Purchase of their products comes with consent for them to lord over your experience. Cross platform often means that totalitarian experience that I hate extends to me, despite not signing up for it.

Fair points, although arguably a little niche at times (the console market isn’t swimming with flight games and on Xbox for example you can get a HOTAS).

Proprietary console manufacturing/software is of course a thing and not ideal as you say. However, 500 notes for a good gaming rig? Nah. Even £500 added to a basic existing rig, you know you’ll be slipping back into obsolescence about as fast as the console owner. No desire to ‘maintain’ a gaming platform from a lot of people either.

I get your point about limitations, but for those who care deeply about frames rates, resolutions and benchmarking on your PC (as I used to, if these are still ‘things’) I can almost guarantee you it will pass with time and the difference between the formats on a game like ED at least is relatively minor IMHO (your other mentioned title notwithstanding)

Oh for sure I am! Elite is pretty much the only game I play nowadays, and most of the other games I waste my free time on, like RPGs and strategy games, are better on PC anyway. I was a happy Sony customer thinking of upgrading to a PS4 Pro or just going all in on the PS5. Now though, I think any forthcoming gaming hardware really needs to future proof my Elite experience; looks like I’m joining the master race!

Now if I can just make enough for a fleet carrier on my PS4 account first...

Fair points, although arguably a little niche at times (the console market isn’t swimming with flight games and on Xbox for example you can get a HOTAS).

Proprietary console manufacturing/software is of course a thing and not ideal as you say. However, 500 notes for a good gaming rig? Nah. Even £500 added to a basic existing rig, you know you’ll be slipping back into obsolescence about as fast as the console owner. No desire to ‘maintain’ a gaming platform from a lot of people either.

I get your point about limitations, but for those who care deeply about frames rates, resolutions and benchmarking on your PC (as I used to, if these are still ‘things’) I can almost guarantee you it will pass with time and the difference between the formats on a game like ED at least is relatively minor IMHO (your other mentioned title notwithstanding)

Within their own realm, they are great console boxes.

PC's allow you to do all those extra things for a game that just cannot be done on a console, like using VoiceAttack, and for Xbox, a hotas. You cannot change the HUD colors or use the extra tools and utilities for most games. So, just for the game itself on a console, yea, looks great, runs great, but for the extras, you need a PC.

PC is better anyway. I used to be a console pleb, but my brother helped me see why PC's are just better at parsing information and make better machines that you can maintain instead of buying whatever outdated crap Microsoft brings out. Their new console is outdated.

You've made a better move.
...'buying whatever outdated crap Microsoft brings out'.....? W10 64 ? ;)... ahh, of course there is.................Linux*** :unsure:

*** Edit: I Know nothing about Linux... as far as I know he's a character out of 'Peanuts'..... humor inended

Last edited:
...'buying whatever outdated crap Microsoft brings out'.....? W10 64 ? ;)... ahh, of course there is.................Linux :unsure:

Lemme know when you can run at least 50% of the applications and games you can in Windows without installing an emulator, and I'll gladly start installing a fresh distro. Till that time, sorry to say but most developers consider Linux to be an edge case scenario.

Lemme know when you can run at least 50% of the applications and games you can in Windows without installing an emulator, and I'll gladly start installing a fresh distro. Till that time, sorry to say but most developers consider Linux to be an edge case scenario.
...failed to detect 'sarcasm'... :unsure:

edit: I know... sarcasm = lowest form of wit.

Last edited:
... failed to detect 'sarcasm'... :unsure:

edit: I know... sarcasm = lowest form of wit.

Very likely because there's no sarcasm intended.

"Microsoft is Evil, therefore install Linux" has failed as a campaign. As I said, when I can run at least half the applications and games without installing an emulator, I'll gladly install a fresh distro. Seriously.

And yes, I do know what the "e" in "wine" stands for. Emulators don't run natively, else they wouldn't be emulating.

Very likely because there's no sarcasm intended.

"Microsoft is Evil, therefore install Linux" has failed as a campaign. As I said, when I can run at least half the applications and games without installing an emulator, I'll gladly install a fresh distro. Seriously.

And yes, I do know what the "e" in "wine" stands for. Emulators don't run natively, else they wouldn't be emulating.
SHEESH.... Sarcasm WAS intended as it was ME replying, tongue in cheek to CMDR RellTyr who said:

'PC is better anyway. I used to be a console pleb, but my brother helped me see why PC's are just better at parsing information and make better machines that you can maintain instead of buying whatever outdated crap Microsoft brings out. Their new console is outdated.'

I WAS trying somewhat sarcastically, to point out that not ONLY does Microsoft make the X-Box but ALSO a very good Operating System for the PC... called MICROSOFT Windows 10 64 bit..... however if CMDR RellTyr was saying all Microsoft products = bad.... another (TONGUE-IN-CHEEK) product is available i.e. Linux.

Please go back and read comments in the order, as they were made. o7 ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom