(Elite Dangerous: Odyssey) Will walking around ships be added eventually?

Deleted member 48160

D
Hello
I havent really kept up to date on whats going on with Elite, but like many others the upcoming Odyssey expansion has peaked my interest in the game once again. I remeber reading some time ago, that walking around ships wont be in Odyssey at release, but I'm having trouble finding any official information regarding wether or not walking around ships will be added further down the road of release

Would anyone be able to point me to a (RECENT) official roadmap or the like confirming or denying wether this feature will be added later?

Deleted member 48160

D
Nope. That's unfortunately all we have. "Not at launch".

There's no official word from Frontier whether this will ever be added to the game, but i suppose they'd like to add it.
Ty for answering mate, apprciate it.

Thats too bad, it would really be the deciding factor for me in terms of buying the expansion at launch or not. I know it would be alot of work and a huge comitment, but I wouldent mind waiting a year or two for it to be added down the line.

Maybe Frontier is hesitent too commit to anything that big since they werent able to deliver atmospheric planets in Horizon? who knows (other than frontier lol)

Hello
I havent really kept up to date on whats going on with Elite, but like many others the upcoming Odyssey expansion has peaked my interest in the game once again. I remeber reading some time ago, that walking around ships wont be in Odyssey at release, but I'm having trouble finding any official information regarding wether or not walking around ships will be added further down the road of release

Would anyone be able to point me to a (RECENT) official roadmap or the like confirming or denying wether this feature will be added later?
Key points:
  • 'Ship Legs' is its own Major Milestone for ED, separate to the ones coming in Odyssey.

• Odyssey appears to be intended to be a single major release, not a season.
Therefore:
  • Ship Legs is still on the roadmap

• It'll be part of another expansion, not Odyssey.
Not sure there's much more to say.

I expect its a trade-off of resources expended for active useful gameplay. Sure it'd be pretty, but that would soon wear off - what else would you do with it, without introducing irritatingly unnecesary interaction?

The resources are better spent on creating meaningful environs for ground activities, which is a huge modelling task in itself.

you will walk around ship (on the ground), but not INSIDE ship :D yet. It needs too much redo, ships are fake inside now you can see that in VR with some tricks.
So if you walk inside, then you need to find where are all that 512T of cargo are stored etc.
Definitely agree to that.
Even if many cockpits are very accurate already, there are ships currently that would need a complete overhaul.
The sidewinder for example is an "impossible ship" already.
In the outfitting menu you can fit a hangar bay and a passenger cabin (both size 2), but if you check carfully the 3D model it's clear that the hangar takes the complete space, you can verify this cross checking the hangar bay when you deploy the srv and when flying by opening the cargo scoop and looking through it to see the same bay.

Deleted member 48160

D
The sidewinder for example is an "impossible ship" already.
In the outfitting menu you can fit a hangar bay and a passenger cabin (both size 2), but if you check carfully the 3D model it's clear that the hangar takes the complete space, you can verify this cross checking the hangar bay when you deploy the srv and when flying by opening the cargo scoop and looking through it to see the same bay.

I'm not sure about imposible, this fanmade Video does a pretty good job of including a varity of things such as srv, cargo rags etc

He also did several other videos showing how all possible compartments would fit to current ships Krait Phantom example

Last edited by a moderator:
Even for immersions sake, on larger ships, having to walk 150m to get to the rear exit every time you dock - you're soon going to be screaming 'get me the teleporter - now !!'

Ship Interiors

Another topic we know players keen for more information on is around ship interiors, and we wanted to clarify our current position on this.

While Odyssey will see players explore a wide range of on and off world locations including station interiors, ship interiors will not be included at launch.

We understand that the bond between Commander and starship is incredibly strong and know this will disappointing news for some. However, we believe it is right to invest our development time in locations and features which offer the most meaningful experience and gameplay for all players. Rest assured that Odyssey will offer a great variety of long requested locations to explore, both on land and in space, which we'll be sharing more details around very soon.

As always, we value and appreciate your passion and feedback and cannot wait to share more with you.

Its from Sep 9, but sounds like "not at launch (but maybe later??"

If it's not purely a visual thing, I think it's maybe more of a can of worms gameplay-wise than people realise. If you can DO things to your ship, they'd have to be things that you can't already do from the cockpit controls or you're talking about redesigning quite a lot of the core gameplay. I'd love to see boarding mechanics, space pirates etc... but quite a lot of people will get very angry if they keep getting boarded by space pirates while they're trying to deliver tea to a nearby star system. And I'm not sure that sort of FPS gameplay works if you're on a really small ship -- 2 or 3 very small rooms doesn't make for a satisfying combat environment. And to make it work in multiplayer you're basically having to do multi-crew properly, which is a huge thing, and also might mean redesigning a lot of the core gameplay.

Dunno. I think they'll do it, but in small stages probably or it's a huge undertaking.

[...]
  • Odyssey appears to be intended to be a single major release, not a season.
[...]

Weirdly enough, Frontier has given us conflicting statements on that. Yes, they've said Odyssey won't be a season but a single release.

But whenever somebody asks "will feature X be part of Odyssey" we get the answer "not at launch", which implies there will/may be feature updates.

Despite what the naysayers claim, I've yet to get bored with my ship interiors:

Attachments

• earthship3.jpg
    earthship3.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 292
  • reentry.jpg
    reentry.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 262
  • entry1.jpg
    entry1.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 407
  • entry2.jpg
    entry2.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 380
So if you walk inside, then you need to find where are all that 512T of cargo are stored etc.
Yeah the issue is that they went for cargo racks by weight and not by volume.
Just as an example:
512 tons of gold occupy at least 27 m3(which is very small, as gold is one the most dense elements)
512 tons of water occupy at least 512 m3
And water has a high density compared to anything not metal. Imagine how much space would be needed to transport 512 tons of tea 😂

Last edited:
Top Bottom