(Elite Dangerous: Odyssey) Will walking around ships be added eventually?

just eject cargo and look at the capsule.

the "standard cargo capsule" (TM)
  • has a fixed volume
  • always weights 1 metric ton.

so, maybe, one capsule of feathers is not completely full, but at least limpets and cargo rack "racks" can be of standard size.
That's the opposite actually. One "standard cargo capsule" with a "fixed volume" full of feathers as you said, would have much much less than "always 1 metric ton". In order to fill one ton you'd need much much more volume. But they do add one ton, as I said, as you can see in the ship statistics after picking up cargo in a station.

That's the opposite actually. One "standard cargo capsule" with a "fixed volume" full of feathers as you said, would have much much less than "always 1 metric ton". In order to fill one ton you'd need much much more volume. But they do add one ton, as I said, as you can see in the ship statistics after picking up cargo in a station.
ohhhh yes. 1t of fethers must be compressed. the ton of gold would not be full...

stupid, i feel

Hello
I havent really kept up to date on whats going on with Elite, but like many others the upcoming Odyssey expansion has peaked my interest in the game once again. I remeber reading some time ago, that walking around ships wont be in Odyssey at release, but I'm having trouble finding any official information regarding wether or not walking around ships will be added further down the road of release

Would anyone be able to point me to a (RECENT) official roadmap or the like confirming or denying wether this feature will be added later?

Wedneverday, thats when they will do it.

I'm pretty sure we'll have ship legs at some point, for 3 reasons:

1 - FD said several times it was on the roadmap, including when advertising lifetime expansion passes, just like ground legs.
2 - Seeing FD add ground legs was even more unlikely, yet behold Odyssey.
3 - There are others making a bloody fortune out of selling ship interiors even without a game to put them in, that's the barometer for how much people want to have ship interiors and to have their ships become a seamless part of the game world. And customizing our ship interiors would be the ultimate Arx cash cow one can possibly imagine.

Last edited:
3 - There are others making a bloody fortune out of selling ship interiors even without a game to put them in, that's the barometer for how much people want to have ship interiors and to have their ships become a seamless part of the game world. And customizing our ship interiors would be the ultimate Arx cash cow one can possibly imagine.

I think we all know what the ultimate Arx cash cow would be and it involves C1 hardpoints ;)

I think the only thing that is allowing Frontier to hold back from throwing money and man-power at this issue right now, is the fact that there are no serious competitors out there at the moment that don't also have major problems of their own to attend to. Once a serious contender shows up that is ready to topple this game, Frontier will probably hit the panic button and get to work at adding more content in a MUCH more timely fashion.

Fully modeled and unique per ship? I don't think that will ever happen. A generic small, medium, large layout? Possibly, but I expect even that to come with some severe limitations. Like, ship must be docked or motionless to leave the pilot seat. Fdev just seems to be very frugal when it comes to development.

Even for immersions sake, on larger ships, having to walk 150m to get to the rear exit every time you dock - you're soon going to be screaming 'get me the teleporter - now !!'
I took a Vulture to Beagle Point and back the long way. I'm good with walking/floating around my ships and boarding other ships. At the end of the day, game-play for me isn't about a means to an end, it's about enjoying my time immersed in a cool sci-fi galactic space game. To each their own though.

Last edited:
It's not just the mass of the cargo containers, it's how they are distributed within the ship which effects handling. (I'm speaking in principle here - like I said in a previous post, I doubt the effects of changes to mass distribution within the ship have been modelled as it stands.)

If things are standardised such that a single container is always filled to a specific mass, rather than to maximum volume, then dealing with the distribution of mass within the ship becomes much much simpler.

It could be argued that that's far more important for a spaceship, and particularly for those having to fly it, than maximising the volume of goods that can be put into a single container.

That's a good point.

In real life, in the maritime shipping industry, ships are designed to be loaded by either mass or volume. For example, container ships are typically loaded with volume constraints, where as a bulk ore carrier is usually loaded by weight to a particular draft mark (depth of hull). In either case the distribution of the mass is important—for container ships to remain stable, they must load heavier ones lower and lighter ones on top. On an ore carrier, the ore is distributed in a way that works with the architecture of the ship, as when fully loaded it can literally bend the ship and cause it to sag in the middle or sag on each end (called "hogging"). Both typically employ some level of ballasting as well.

Fully modeled and unique per ship? I don't think that will ever happen. A generic small, medium, large layout? Possibly, but I expect even that to come with some severe limitations. Like, ship must be docked or motionless to leave the pilot seat. Fdev just seems to be very frugal when it comes to development.

I think making the interiors is the east bit, as its just the will to devote graphical time and resources to it. It's coming up with things to do in the interiors that's the tricky and time-consuming bit.

Imagine how much space would be needed to transport 512 tons of tea 😂
If we're talking fresh leaves that would be a ton of space (pun intended). Even a Cutter wouldn't cut it (pun intended). Dried leaves - different story but same problem. 34th century processed, packed, completely water-free tea extracts - presumably no issue at all.

Perhaps the gold is stored in a solution of aqua regia or whatever it's called. Like that one guy did with the other guy's Nobel Prize during WW2?
That'd be less efficient in terms of storage, as the nitric and hydrochloric acid solution would just add to weight and volume.

If we're talking fresh leaves that would be a ton of space (pun intended). Even a Cutter wouldn't cut it (pun intended). Dried leaves - different story but same problem. 34th century processed, packed, completely water-free tea extracts - presumably no issue at all.
You are right, they'd probably manage to have just the extract. But then imagine instead of tea composite materials. Those are low density by design.

I'm not sure about imposible, this fanmade Video does a pretty good job of including a varity of things such as srv, cargo rags etc

He also did several other videos showing how all possible compartments would fit to current ships Krait Phantom example
Impossible in its current state of course.
I know that video, but it is based on assumptions that clash with ED concepts unfortunately. I have to say that the creator of that video is more accurate than FDEV because he considered everything, instead with the sidewinder FDEV created the model without considering the future development. An evidence is the planetary hangar clipping through the cockpit floor. This is visible only in VR or with a head tracker (so in reality the hangar bay would not fit inside the sidewinder as is). I made a detailed post about that sometime ago.

Deleted member 48160

D
Yeah the issue is that they went for cargo racks by weight and not by volume.
Just as an example:
512 tons of gold occupy at least 27 m3(which is very small, as gold is one the most dense elements)
512 tons of water occupy at least 512 m3
And water has a high density compared to anything not metal. Imagine how much space would be needed to transport 512 tons of tea 😂

I think you are all overcomplicating the issue of designating weight to area, when it simply a question of area. For 512 tons you only need to designate the appropiate cargo modules needed for that amount, for simplicitys sake lats say 2x 8class cargo racks of 256 ton capacity each. so you need to model 2 big areas of the ship to be able to store this amount. Nevermind the complexity with different densities of materials, when both areas are filled to capacity you got 512 tons of cargo on board. It is a video game after all not real life, besides it wouldent be worth the effort to model a big varity of single cargo containers for each comodity in the game.

Again I'm gonna link to an fan made example of how this issue is easily resovled by designating appropriate area to module class size

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 48160

D
Impossible in its current state of course.
I know that video, but it is based on assumptions that clash with ED concepts unfortunately. I have to say that the creator of that video is more accurate than FDEV because he considered everything, instead with the sidewinder FDEV created the model without considering the future development. An evidence is the planetary hangar clipping through the cockpit floor. This is visible only in VR or with a head tracker (so in reality the hangar bay would not fit inside the sidewinder as is). I made a detailed post about that sometime ago.
In current state, yes it would be impossible, but thats kinda redundant anyways. If frontier were to implement walking inside ships they would have to model everything for all ships from scratch, and there is no reason why the same approch/method presented in the video couldent be used in such a scenario btw. Also your "evidence" of srv clipping through the cockpit floor isent indicative of anything, other than frontier arent fussed about clipping/proper area designation of modules in ship, because you cant walk around your ship anyways, currently.

Top Bottom