Am I the only person who is utterly unenthused right now about a generic FPS being shoehorned into my spaceship game?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
in those odyssey videos we have just seen combat in normal gravity - this was quite disappointing, because it would be interesting to see it in low gravity conditions.

And head shots - why would i want to achieve that - all it takes is a breach in the opponent's suit and the sudden decompression will kill him. So what it would really take is a japanese tuna cleaver :cool: And you can't run in a low gravity environment, you would hop like a kangaroo. think about it, to run you would need a large forward vector and very small upwards component, to not launch off the ground doing that. You can't get the resulting combined vector that near to horizontal to run - you hop.
3c5ec16035733f662f9c37e66fb1276b.png_q80_.webp

Last edited:
I've not invested over 1700 hours of my life into a product in the hope that some day it will give me a chance to do exactly what I can do in a multitude of other titles. I have many games already installed on my PC that allow me to run around and shoot people/things.

And I don't think that's what drew most people to this game either.

The reason Elite Dangerous has been a major part of my gaming life for the last 6-7 years is because it's about flying a spaceship around a 1:1 simulation of the Galaxy. I can't experience this any other way. I think it's a real shame that FD seem to be neglecting what makes this game unique and not expanding on what is already it's greatest achievment: our Galaxy it so amazingly simulates.

Personally I've always wanted more of the flying around the Galaxy stuff. Complex lifeforms and habitats, comets, gas giants, oceans, alien weather, little fluffy coulds, a huge ever growing pulsating brain that rules from the centre of the Ultraworld etc.

The only reason I'm going to buy Odyssey (and yeah I'm gonna get it in spite of my kvetching) is for the planets, they look great so far. More worlds to land on, hopefully more spacefaring gameplay mechanics, atmospheric re-entry and aerodynamic flight model perhaps?

I know I'm complaining about something that wont change now, and maybe I'll be wrong. Hopefully FD come up with something exceptional again, but this doesn't feel like a play to Elite's strengths, more an attempt to court broader appeal that forgets what was great about the game in the first place.

Somebody, convince me I'm wrong.
Psst.

... here's a membership card to the club ... :)

(But FWIW, FPS is not going to fix the things I enjoy in this game that have otherwise been broken for a while now, like smuggling, megaship looting etc... And notwithstanding that, I really, really want expansion of the spaceship-based mechanics before this... there is so much potential in the game being wasted with effort expended against bolt-on space legs instead)

FDev's vision is huge and to accomplish it, they will need more staff - I see that now, and the FPS part might just raise the funding to hire the required staff to achieve it.

Agree 1000%. Definitely hoping Odyssey goes down well and that with the walking, shooting and don't forget other scanning and welding tools we've seen in place, the game will be profitable and popular enough for the environments to be expanded out from there.

Seems a natural expansion to me (unless shoe horned is a euphemism for how excited the OP really is for elite feet) and personally I can't wait.

I'm not wild about aspects of it so I'm unlikely to use parts of it, just as there are parts of the game now I don't use. I think what is perceived to be a flaw in the game is really one of its main advantages, there is no real narrative. You're a human, with a spaceship (and soon legs), the end. Setting aside age old discussions about 'grinding mats', this means you're not compelled to take part in activities that you don't want to.

I do adore this game but there are parts that feel creaky, just little things that at some point got a bit broken and never really repaired and now they're going load a whole new layer on top of that. With the greatest will in the world, I think we all know there will at least be a bedding in period where they try to fix some broken things in the new parts of the game and however long that takes, they will do it but some bits will get left broken, they will sit on top of the already 'got left' broken bits.

I understand the idea that FPS was always on the menu, that people feel they have waited long enough but I just wish they had given the game a proper MOT before adding this substantial new addition.

I see as I have been writing this I have been partly ninja'd.

I've not invested over 1700 hours of my life into a product in the hope that some day it will give me a chance to do exactly what I can do in a multitude of other titles. I have many games already installed on my PC that allow me to run around and shoot people/things.

The reason Elite Dangerous has been a major part of my gaming life for the last 6-7 years is because it's about flying a spaceship around a 1:1 simulation of the Galaxy. I can't experience this any other way. I think it's a real shame that FD seem to be neglecting what makes this game unique and not expanding on what is already it's greatest achievment: our Galaxy it so amazingly simulates.

Personally I've always wanted more of the flying around the Galaxy stuff. Complex lifeforms and habitats, comets, gas giants, oceans, alien weather, little fluffy coulds, a huge ever growing pulsating brain that rules from the centre of the Ultraworld etc.

The only reason I'm going to buy Odyssey (and yeah I'm gonna get it in spite of my kvetching) is for the planets, they look great so far. More worlds to land on, hopefully more spacefaring gameplay mechanics, atmospheric re-entry and aerodynamic flight model perhaps?

I know I'm complaining about something that wont change now, and maybe I'll be wrong. Hopefully FD come up with something exceptional again, but this doesn't feel like a play to Elite's strengths, more an attempt to court broader appeal that forgets what was great about the game in the first place.

As they talked about getting out of the pilot seat back in the Kickstarter days, yes I fully expected and look forward to First Person Perspective gameplay.

As to adding a first person shooter, that will be the Odyssey CQC addition, which I imagine will be similar to the ship version and not a proper part of the game.

As they have said many time, Odyssey isn't all about shooting, sure it will be a part of it like it is in space ship flying part of the game, but I don't see many going around calling ED a space ship shooter, mainly because it doesn't have to be. You can play the game however you like and I will hazard a guess that Odyssey will be no different.

Personally I am very much looking forward to the extra adventures my commander will be able to go on, once Odyssey drops.

Also there aren't many FPS (if any) where missions will involve your feet, the SRV, and flying your ship. Combining those together, in a single mission sounds great to me.

Yea, not really a fan of pedestrian combat in ED (had thousands of frantic combat hours in UT and replayed Mass Effect trilogy several times), but i will get Odyssey for the planetary tech

I'm waiting until someone streams the alpha before forming any opinion, other than I'm extremely "meh" about the FPS aspects we've been shown/hinted at so far.
yeah, we would have low gravity environments which changes the way in which one can move around on foot quite a lot - and what do they show us - normal pew pew FPS.

bring in a new slice of the gaming community too, and perhaps give new players a more familiar setting (on foot combat & maze navigation) to start from so they don't feel they are starting completely from scratch with a 6 DoF, no up or down, staggering distances between things game map.

Yeah when they release an on rails starfox galaxies like era 2 spaceflight because foot people would rather just get the space stuff over and done with....

Don't joke they made the fss.

EDIT: Though are we in truth the "special needs" that frontier are indulging.. in drew wagars second video he mentioned it was original backers who raged at the idea of microjumps.. so frontier and steam chumps are actually on the same side its the spaceflight people that's the problem.

Last edited:

I have Destiny 2 to satisfy my shooty, shooty grenade explody itch, what what

Toodly pipsky

Yeah when they release an on rails starfox galaxies like era 2 spaceflight because foot people would rather just get the space stuff over and done with....

Don't joke they made the fss.

EDIT: Though are we in truth the "special needs" that frontier are indulging.. in drew wagars second video he mentioned it was original backers who raged at the idea of microjumps.. so frontier and steam chumps are actually on the same side its the spaceflight people that's the problem.

I don't mind what they add, it's what they take away that can create a problem. If we got feet but they removed the SRV 'because it detracts from the experience they want players to have' I'd have something to say about that. I like the SRV :)

I have Destiny 2 to satisfy my shooty, shooty grenade explody itch, what what

Toodly pipsky
Honestly, No mans Sky seems to do the FPS part, customization and exploring planets on foot way better than what they have shown so far for Odyssey.

And yes, Destiny, COD, even the new Outriders does on foot combat way better than what they have shown - I played Elite for what it did other games did not - fly a spaceship in a semi-realistic universe.

ye nah, their idea is to have ships, people on foot and SRVs being able to interact with each other on the same playing field - you don't have to fear that.

Certainly a lot of Cmdrs react like the OP.

But Odyssey will bring extra life and dynamism to the game.

And there will be new graphics technology :)

And maybe later Frontier will refocus on the Space part of the game and also add planets with atmosphere, climate and flora and fauna. :unsure:

😷

ye nah, their idea is to have ships, people on foot and SRVs being able to interact with each other on the same playing field - you don't have to fear that.
The idea that a human held weapon can damage a ship beyond ridiculous, especially if that same weapon doesnt instantly obliterate a player, and a reasonable amount of the landscape when its turned on them.

Also the idea that a player on foot isnt turned into pink mist (that on low grav planets might actually just hang there like a 3d Jackson Pollock artwork) from a tiny burst of a multi cannon, or isnt turned into a nuclear shadow when shot by a laser or a plasma cannon is also just silly.

Remember the scale of human ships and weapons? Here is a comparison done in 2019 - These ships are not a family car, or even a school bus in size, the SRV is the size of a medium size dump truck, the size 4 multi cannons are the size of the biggest battleship guns ever floated.

Certainly a lot of Cmdrs react like the OP.

But Odyssey will bring extra life and dynamism to the game.

And there will be new graphics technology :)

And maybe later Frontier will refocus on the Space part of the game and also add planets with atmosphere, climate and flora and fauna. :unsure:

😷
You mean like the Gas Giant mechanics that were promoted with Horizons by Braben himself and then dropped and never spoken of again?

The idea that a human held weapon can damage a ship beyond ridiculous, especially if that same weapon doesnt instantly obliterate a player, and a reasonable amount of the landscape when its turned on them.

Also the idea that a player on foot isnt turned into pink mist (that on low grav planets might actually just hang there like a 3d Jackson Pollock artwork) from a tiny burst of a multi cannon, or isnt turned into a nuclear shadow when shot by a laser or a plasma cannon is also just silly.

Remember the scale of human ships and weapons? Here is a comparison done in 2019 - These ships are not a family car, or even a school bus in size, the SRV is the size of a medium size dump truck, the size 4 multi cannons are the size of the biggest battleship guns ever floated.

That a Cmdr on foot can deal sufficient damage to a large structure like a ship is easy - timed release (grenades).

That a ship does not vaporise a foot Cmdr instantly is a matter of precision - they have to actually find and hit the tiny target the Cmdrs body presents. I agree the idea of a Cmdr on foot being able to tank damage from a ship is ridiculous, but I suppose that's what personal shields will be for ;)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom