Hey Frontier, Where Are The Doors/Ramps Into Our Ships?

Pretty obvious as to where the entrance / exit is on the Cobra and Krait. I think I know where the entrance ramp might be on the AspX and maybe on a few others. BUT it would be nice if they gave us a bunch of images of each and every ship and where the entrance will actually be. I'm still trying to figure out where it might be on the Imperial Courier.

Come on, FD, if you can't give us Odyssey for a while at least tease us with where our doors are.

If the Courier isn't entered through the canopy, I might cry.
top-gun@2x.jpg

Descending lift from the cargo bay :p
Oh no, I'll be a little disappointed if the disembarking point for every ship is the cargo hatch again. I'd almost prefer that we just fade to black and teleport to the foot of the exit ramp (for ships that actually have them), with the promise that at some point down the line interiors will flesh all of that out.

I did suggest before that they use the technology they already have from Planet Coaster and create an elaborate 'Jamie and the Magic Torch' exit from any cockpit. The bigger the ship, the longer and wilder the ride.

It was ignored.
Considering that the theme park games use the same engine as elite (obviously a different forking) that there is no building option or similar seems really bad management to me

Yeah, I don't even think we are getting an SRV like exit/entrance animation. Just fade out of your seat and into your suit outside either at an entrance ramp or door of ships that obviously have one, or through the cargo or srv hatches of ships that don't. Actually, I figure it will be the cargo or SRV hatch regardless. Could be wrong. The beta/alpha are likely within 2-3 months if they keep to the current spring release projection. We will know then which way they are going with it. I would like to just walk out the side bridge doors of an Annie or the front landing ramp of a Krait, after stopping by a remlock/weapon/gear closet and picking my gear for the outing myself, but I don't think we are getting that at launch if ever.

Yeah, I don't even think we are getting an SRV like exit/entrance animation. Just fade out of your seat and into your suit outside either at an entrance ramp or door of ships that obviously have one, or through the cargo or srv hatches of ships that don't. Actually, I figure it will be the cargo or SRV hatch regardless. Could be wrong. The beta/alpha are likely within 2-3 months if they keep to the current spring release projection. We will know then which way they are going with it. I would like to just walk out the side bridge doors of an Annie or the front landing ramp of a Krait, after stopping by a remlock/weapon/gear closet and picking my gear for the outing myself, but I don't think we are getting that at launch if ever.
Sooner than that I expect. The release needs to be out by the end of May, so Alpha can't be in May as they said content will be dropped over time to the alpha so people can test parts of it. So I would estimate end March, at a push early April?

edit- I also suspect there's an alpha, then release, no beta unless it's right at the death with all the content for a week.

I used to say that I don't care about cockpit legs, and well, I really don't care much about spacelegs in general, to be honest, I wanted atmos only and bad. But after watching several videos and looking more around different ship cockpits, frankly, not being able to walk around it doesn't make any sense to me now...

Just think about it:
Main cockpit interiors are already made, they are very, I'd say painfully well detailed and we don't get to see more than 30-50% of it, unless you use VR, of course, which isn't really "walking" anyway. People ask them to walk inside full ship interior, but from development standpoint, it would be pure nightmare to model and rig to work properly, especially considering our ships are modular.

What would be wrong with simple ability stand up from chair, walk around cockpit and exit through the door, making it fade-to-black transition, teleporting us to those small elevators almost all ships have? And if you look closely to most models, I think each one has at least some sort of hatch that could work as a lift, extend, etc. Like SRV deployment animation. Yeah, it would be some work to animate this stuff, but it would definitely please both crowds and make that "first footfall moment" quite immersive and memorable. I mean, we already get full walking/running body animations. It would be mostly work with existing assets, aye?

I used to say that I don't care about cockpit legs, and well, I really don't care much about spacelegs in general, to be honest, I wanted atmos only and bad. But after watching several videos and looking more around different ship cockpits, frankly, not being able to walk around it doesn't make any sense to me now...

Just think about it:
Main cockpit interiors are already made, they are very, I'd say painfully well detailed and we don't get to see more than 30-50% of it, unless you use VR, of course, which isn't really "walking" anyway. People ask them to walk inside full ship interior, but from development standpoint, it would be pure nightmare to model and rig to work properly, especially considering our ships are modular.

What would be wrong with simple ability stand up from chair, walk around cockpit and exit through the door, making it fade-to-black transition, teleporting us to those small elevators almost all ships have? And if you look closely to most models, I think each one has at least some sort of hatch that could work as a lift, extend, etc. Like SRV deployment animation. Yeah, it would be some work to animate this stuff, but it would definitely please both crowds and make that "first footfall moment" quite immersive and memorable. I mean, we already get full walking/running body animations. It would be mostly work with existing assets, aye?
This is exactly the same discussion that's happened here for, I dunno, 6 months? Since they said no cockpit legs at launch. Yes the assets are there for cockpits, but they have decided not to do it at the moment.

My opinion is that we know they are implementing physical multicrew in EDO, so you can ride in someone elses ship with them. That I suspect it much simpler as an extension of multicrew instancing ie not physically walking in the ship but fade to black into a multicrew seat.

I imagine walking in ships is planned for whenever they do EVA. It makes perfect sense for that functionality, but not really before, other than "immersion" without any actual gameplay

I've always felt that even if we can't walk around the inside of the cabin, the "fade-to-black-and-fade-in" should put us in the airlock, not on the ground. This would give us the option to change our mind, turn, push the "open inner airlock door" and fade back into the cockpit. Other players should see us exit the ship, either down a small elevator (such as from the back of a sidewinder) or walk down a ramp. This gives us an opportunity to shoot waiting players (or NPC's) waiting for us so they can get the first shot at us.

We should be able to open the outer door, look around, assess the situation. In "real life" you wouldn't just "fade in" on the ground to other players, right?

No. There are ramps, walkways, methods of exit. If you drive your SRV under the rear of an AspX you can see the warning "Might deploy unexpectedly" so I assume that is the method of exit. It seems obvious on some ships but not on all of them, hence my question.

If the ramp/walkway isn't deployed, how do you get back in? They should at least satisfy my immersion!! After all, this is supposed to be realistic, not some fantasy, right? 🧜‍♂️

I did suggest before that they use the technology they already have from Planet Coaster and create an elaborate 'Jamie and the Magic Torch' exit from any cockpit. The bigger the ship, the longer and wilder the ride.

It was ignored.
Just imagine the ride we'd have to get in the space stations to our ship if our ship was a large lion that formed Voltron.

Top Bottom