I wanna ask a huge favor of the game devs for the nonbinary community

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Is there any way we can display our pronouns, and if so can we have that option eventually implemented? I feel bad sometimes saying in chat that I don't identify as a girl/guy and inform people that I use they/them as I worry people will see me as being too aggressive about my identity or something (I try to be polite about it).

There is no in game display of any personal info and I’d like to keep it that way. Your Commander’s name is the name of the imaginary character that is flying a spaceship in 3307.

They could of course have some sort of pronoun preference if you play them that way.
Thats kinda what I would like, is a pronoun preference or something and making it optional to be displayed or not.

Is there any way we can display our pronouns, and if so can we have that option eventually implemented? I feel bad sometimes saying in chat that I don't identify as a girl/guy and inform people that I use they/them as I worry people will see me as being too aggressive about my identity or something (I try to be polite about it).
Just ensuring I understand this; you want the gender neutral, Commander, replaced with gender specific pronouns so that you can demand that you can inflict yourself on other people, but you're not aggressive about it?

Last edited:
No way this does not get political. Commander is gender neutral. Fdev would be nuts to change that considering the current climate surrounding that.
If a player wishes, they can place their pronoun in front of their name when they set up a new commander. I could be Cmdr Mr. Gorankar. Someone else could be cmdr [pronoun] [name] if they wish. Nothing stopping that.

Nobody seems to care what my gender is in chat. They only seem to care that I cough up cargo or die. I don't care even a little bit about the sex, age, gender, political affiliation, race, religion, or creed of other players. You are all just ships to me.

Last edited:
I realize that I am a bit of a grammar precisionist, but I find the idea of usurping They for a gender neutral term is ridiculously arrogant. They is a plural form, so, in this case, it sounds like the Royal We, which is rather presumptuous unless you are claiming to be a sovereign nation.

Last edited:

i'm still baffled at this. bear with me, not a native speaker and had to google up the whole they/them thing first. okay, yeah, language is the straitjacket of the mind like someone said, and it does make sense to make it less intrusive.

but what is it what you're actually asking the devs to do? can't you use they/them or whatever freely in chat? /me lines are gender neutral afaik, if that's still thing? are you're referring to in-game labels ... why on earth should those need pronouns, regardless if gender neutral or not?

i am all in favor of language being inclusive. however, i see no point in gender (or absence of it) having to be made explicit in a game except for gameplay reasons, and for that you have the richness of expression of holo-me (although i'm sure some minority will find it lacking), and just let others admire your character for their look, no need for qualifiers.

languages have these burdens and we will need to adapt them in time, but imo our final goal in this issue is to simply take gender out of the equation, not new ways to make it explicit. in this case the best course of action is doing nothing (and not inventing more problems).

It is a bit odd to template 2021 sensibilities on a 3307 ish universe.

Pretty sure there are far more exotic templates for humanity in this game setting. If I recall the lore correctly, Zachariah Nemo cyberparty and the members of the Quince system might have transhuman, or very aggressive genetic modification to make them very different from what we are today. Pronouns might need to be invented to cover a spectrum of physical expressions, or the language might just resign itself to individual name designations and abandon pronouns.

I can imagine with wetware like neuralink a thousand years from now, individual personal identities might even not be a thing under certain circumstances - where "they" might apply to multiple identities temporarily inhabiting a local node body for its utility.

From a more present-day political stance, I avoid pronouns when addressing strangers (or at work), and have taken a custom of addressing individuals by their names. It comes across awkward in some circumstances, but I am not a fan of compelled speech with our legal constitutional protections in the US.

I realize that I am a bit of a grammar precisionist, but I find the idea of usurping They for a gender neutral term is ridiculously arrogant. They is a plural form, so, in this case, it sounds like the Royal We, which is rather presumptuous unless you are claiming to be a sovereign nation.
I find that a bit of a stretch for the assumption that I am claiming to be a soverign nation. English itself is pretty much a mess of a language that I personally find to be very inadequate or incomplete in some senses, which is why we have our grammar change more often than other languages (not to mention the conflicting rules we took from other languages).

Meaningless argument about languages aside, I was asking for some way to identify as not male, and I do respect cmdr as gender neutral, but there are still many times people recongise me as male rather than not. I was just asking for something that players can look (when friending them for instance) so I dont eventually have to actively tell people I meet.

i'm still baffled at this. bear with me, not a native speaker and had to google up the whole they/them thing first. okay, yeah, language is the straitjacket of the mind like someone said, and it does make sense to make it less intrusive.

but what is it what you're actually asking the devs to do? can't you use they/them or whatever freely in chat? /me lines are gender neutral afaik, if that's still thing? are you're referring to in-game labels ... why on earth should those need pronouns, regardless if gender neutral or not?

i am all in favor of language being inclusive. however, i see no point in gender (or absence of it) having to be made explicit in a game except for gameplay reasons, and for that you have the richness of expression of holo-me (although i'm sure some minority will find it lacking), and just let others admire your character for their look, no need for qualifiers.

languages have these burdens and we will need to adapt them in time, but imo our final goal in this issue is to simply take gender out of the equation, not new ways to make it explicit. in this case the best course of action is doing nothing (and not inventing more problems).
While I can in chat ask people to use my preferred pronouns, I do have an understandable anxiety of people telling me off or something. Overall, I feel this wouldnt invent issues rather than the community itself inventing an issue out of this (as some of the people here are already doing to varying degrees). Asking for a non-intrusive, optional way to communicate pronouns is perfect. While I agree with the sentiment of having your cmdr name incorporate those pronouns, I am unsure of a way to actively change your cmdr name already.

I am unsure of a way to actively change your cmdr name already.
Since we are fussy about language here: I would be very much opposed to you changing my CMDR name, thank you very much.

If you want to change your CMDR name, you can
a) ask support. Last time I checked (which admittedly was quite some years ago), you get one shot free.
b) clear save.

I don't care about your pronouns if I'm being completely honest and I like it to stay that way. It doesn't contribute to any game mechanism or meaningful interaction. In fact it would achieve the exact opposite effect of rubbing your gender preference (which I really don't care about) into other people's faces and guess what that would achieve? People picking on you for your gender preference. Gankers mocking you by (gasp) using WRONG pronouns just to irk you. In the end, you just would put a mechanism in the game that would be used to make it more divisive than it was before.

I was asking for some way to identify as not male, and I do respect cmdr as gender neutral, but there are still many times people recongise me as male rather than not.

And you think 3-4 letters of text would've changed their observations? That's quite a stretch and assumes a staggering stupidity of others.

If you don't like how people react when they observe you and genuinely want them to react differently, your only option is to conform your behavior/appearance/etc so that they will observe you in the fashion you wish to be the case. Ie, you can't slap a post-it note on your forehead that says blueberry bush and expect to blend in with the foliage. You need to make yourself look like a blueberry bush, for anyone to see you and say, 'oh, a blueberry bush'.

cmdr or commander is good enough to address a stranger in the most non-intrusive way
pretty much as using they instead of he / she

if they want to be identified in any way, they will let you know.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom