Release bindED 3.0 – import your key binds into VoiceAttack

You are probably aware of Gary’s original bindED plugin that reads Elite keybindings and makes them available to VoiceAttack via text variables: https://forum.voiceattack.com/smf/index.php?topic=564.0

I wasn’t quite happy with how it worked (and how some things didn’t), so with his permission I forked it and have worked on it over the last weeks. Version 3.0 is out now!

You can just use it as a drop-in replacement. Improvements over the original version include:

• Support for non-US keyboard layouts. Currently implemented are de-neo2 (because that’s why I’m using) and en-GB (thanks to A.Cyprus for providing that). If you have another layout instructions for making it work are on Github, and I’m happy to include it in the next release.
  • Automatic key bind detection. No running a plugin context necessary. You can still manually (re)load by invoking the loadbinds context.
  • Logging to the VoiceAttack log (loading binds, changing keyboard layout, missing files, missing keys in your keyboard layout)
  • Reports profile that you can import. It will create a list of variables and a list of missing binds and put them on your Desktop. (Note: currently that includes all binds, including those that can’t take keys, like axes.)
  • Automatic profile detection. No need to manually specify a binds file to use.
  • Automatic change detection. Will reload the binds if you change presets or modify your controls in the in-game options menu.

Last edited:
For anyone that has no idea what I’m talking about, here’s a rundown of the general idea.

VoiceAttack can, among other things, press keys for you. That is limited to the keyboard, it cannot press Joystick buttons for you. So for starters, that means you’ll have to at least have a secondary bind that is a key on your keyboard. Once you have that, you can for example have a “deploy hardpoints” command in VoiceAttack, and tell it to press the H key (or whatever you have your hardpoints bound to).

But what happens if you change that key? Or if you want to share your profile with other people that might or might not have bindings that are different? That’s where this plugin comes into play. Instead of telling VoiceAttack to press the key H, you’ll instead tell it to press the variable key edDeployHardpointToggle. The bindED plugin handles setting that variable to the appropriate key or key combination, and it will work for everyone in the same way!

The process is entirely automatic, and changes to your controls will automatically be reflected. If you’re using a non-US keyboard layout however you may run into a few quirks due to how Elite saves its bindings and how VoiceAttack presses keys. More information in the README file on Github.

Last edited:
I've just tried this for the first time, and I have a quick question. When I start VA, bindED reports:
"11:21:48.758 INFO | bindED: Elite binds 'Custom' for layout 'en-us' loaded successfully."
In my case it seems to be loading the 'en-us' layout, but I have a UK (en-gb) keyboard. That's how it's set in Windows, and I don't have a US layout installed. How can I make bindED recognise my UK layout?

For me the bindings file of ED does save the setting as if I have an en-US keyboard although my windows setting (and keyboard) is de-AT.

I've just tried this for the first time, and I have a quick question. When I start VA, bindED reports:
"11:21:48.758 INFO | bindED: Elite binds 'Custom' for layout 'en-us' loaded successfully."
In my case it seems to be loading the 'en-us' layout, but I have a UK (en-gb) keyboard. That's how it's set in Windows, and I don't have a US layout installed. How can I make bindED recognise my UK layout?
Most keys will just work™, otherwise read this: https://github.com/alterNERDtive/bindED#support-for-non-us-keyboard-layouts

Funnily enough that was the reason I initially forked it, on the old plugin I could literally only use numbers, modifiers and a select few other keys; none of the letters :)

… and then feature creep set in.

Hi. I have been playing a while on ps4 and xbox and for about a year now have been hitting the pc version hard. i have just started trying out the voice pack and its awesome when i get it to work. on PC i notice that i would always have to change my bindings almost everytime i play. very annoying. lately its been ok but i can not get the voice attack to work properly. i redid the whole secondary binding for voice attack and then it was all messed up again. i am a real Noob when it comes to all this new tech stuff. i read how people save binds and backups but honestly i need someone to dumb it down for me. if any patient commanders out here want to help out i really would appreciate the help.
thanks
Steve AKA: wildbill336 on xbox & PC

Hi. I have been playing a while on ps4 and xbox and for about a year now have been hitting the pc version hard. i have just started trying out the voice pack and its awesome when i get it to work. on PC i notice that i would always have to change my bindings almost everytime i play. very annoying. lately its been ok but i can not get the voice attack to work properly. i redid the whole secondary binding for voice attack and then it was all messed up again. i am a real Noob when it comes to all this new tech stuff. i read how people save binds and backups but honestly i need someone to dumb it down for me. if any patient commanders out here want to help out i really would appreciate the help.
thanks
Steve AKA: wildbill336 on xbox & PC
I think you’re in the wrong place? This is not a “voice pack”.

Hi,
just realized, that bindED doesn't work with ED Odyssey.:oops: This is what I get from VA:
Screenshot 2021-05-20 144047.png

I think the problem is because in ED Odyssey there is an additional menu for the settings of the controls. They are now separated for general, ship control, srv control and on foot.
Screenshot 2021-05-20 144329.png

I hope you can fix that.. ;)

During the alpha test this new menu didn't exist and bindED worked, that's why I believe the new menu ist the culprit.

Thanks

Top Bottom