Odyssey trailer - thoughts?

...also some random thought about covers.
It is cover for you, but for that NPC it could be last food supply, if they lose that (broken by bullets) - then they will die from hunger :D So they take risks trusting in own personal shields.

Also medpacks are immersion breakers. Why would we deliver carriers of basic meds when we could just send 1 box of those magic medpacks and fix all at once? :D

Last edited:
When watching the playthrough i was looking at the base layout to see if it gave good combat opportunities in the horizontal and vertical planes.
It seemed mainly on a ground level with only limited opportunity to fight at a higher level. I hope its just the nature of the mission they did, because i would expect that with the game having jetpacks and srvs that can bunny hop around, that there are natural gameplay mechanics to exploit for combat purposes and it would be a shame if frontier did not exploit this.

The AI i saw intrigued me. The NPCs were sometimes seen dodging fire by side stepping and also running away from were the fire was directed at. What then let it down somewhat was that instead of then trying to get to cover they just stood in the open to act as bullet magnets

I found it odd to see what looked like "smurfs" running around all the time during combat. I think the shields should mirror the ship mechanic for consistency in that shields are only visible on activation and when hit by incoming fire.

At times i got the impression NPCs were attempting rudimentary flanking tactics. The nature of the base layouts would appear to make this something that the ai should aim to do.

A top class AI would lay down covering fire while one of the Ai tried to close distance and jump behind cover.
I also never saw AI crouching which is something else i would expect both players and ai to do if caught in the open as this reduces the hitbox of the target.
We also never saw any of the players able to use mechanics like leaning over or around objects to shoot. Something that i would like to see.

I wonder if long range sniper combat with scopes is possible in the game. The earlier trailers seemed to indicate weapons with scopes but we never saw them in action.

I thought it was also interesting how the NPCs basically ignored the players until they started misbehaving, it will be interesting to see what the actual field of view of npcs is in the game, as one of the many failings of numerous so called AAA shooters is AI with infinite detection capabilities regardless of how well you are hidden.

I was surprised we never saw any of the skimmers scanning players. They scan srvs in bases so i wonder if it was just something that just didnt happen because this was a low security base.

The Goliath skimmer seemed useless. I would expect it and the other skimmers to be very nasty opponents to on foot soldiers as well as srvs. Though i must admit in horizons skimmers are just target practise for srvs

Seconded. You raised many significant issues with the trailer. These videos show the cover systems of Killzone 2 (2009) and Mass Effect 2 (2010). 11 years later, despite the available examples, Frontier is unable to reach such sophisticated gameplay design.

Killzone 2 10 Years Later MAX QUALITY

Mass Effect 2: The Sentinel

Last edited:
Seconded. You raised many significant issues with the trailer. These videos show the cover systems of Killzone 2 (2009) and Mass Effect 2 (2010). 11 years later, despite the available examples, Frontier is unable to reach such sophisticated gameplay design.
Whereas Killzone 2 and Mass Effect 2 added amazing top-tier space flight models and full galaxy simulations with surprising ease.

Buck up fdev, the Angry Ex Boyfriends are so right!

Frontier is unable to reach such sophisticated gameplay design.
Are you saying that because of couple mins vid? C'mon, those NPCes were "Almost helpless" rank for sure. Wait to meet Elite and cries started all around forums "please disallow NPC to use covers" as it was with FA-off by them before.
Fighter's pilot hired still can do FA-OFF if u press "attack" button, try it, press it each 5 seconds and see what she can do.

I really liked it. I did notice the animations for the player characters, but when I watched it a second time I thought it looked better and I thought the NPC animations were great.
I wonder if the panel cutting was an animation or something the player controls? Hopefully the later. Also hoping that AI improves overall, as it seemed a bit too easy to get out of there with so many NPCs shooting at them, I’d prefer that scenario to be much more dangerous, requiring assistance from a slf, srv, or at least necessitate deploying some explosives to break things up. Just legging it with 6-7 soldiers shooting you in the back and a drone targeting you to no discernible effect is anti-climactic. Still though, the mission looked fun, everything else is secondary. I’m excited.

I really liked it. I did notice the animations for the player characters, but when I watched it a second time I thought it looked better and I thought the NPC animations were great.
I wonder if the panel cutting was an animation or something the player controls? Hopefully the later. Also hoping that AI improves overall, as it seemed a bit too easy to get out of there with so many NPCs shooting at them, I’d prefer that scenario to be much more dangerous, requiring assistance from a slf, srv, or at least necessitate deploying some explosives to break things up. Just legging it with 6-7 soldiers shooting you in the back and a drone targeting you to no discernible effect is anti-climactic. Still though, the mission looked fun, everything else is secondary. I’m excited.

Yeah, I totally agree with you regarding the AI, hope it either improves or that it was related to some sort of threat level of the settlement. As it seemed like they could have just as easily picked up the core and run out of there without having to shoot anything.

Pretty much echos how I feel, heres what a mate of mine thought.

"What I saw..

Buildings / site look something out of Andromeda.

Security's a joke were is their tactics, no use of cover just running around shooting from the hip.

Character animation running looks like last generation.

Why were they shooting at the characters/thieves, If I was the commander of security ship start shooting at the teams ship.
It has potential but they got a lot work to get done."

Last edited:
Imo it was heavily directed, but I see lots of potential for what it could become. The way they "snuck" into the facility by walking right through several NPC's field-of-view was pretty funny. The comms were Mission Impossible, while the actual gameplay on screen told a different story. Stealth mechanics weren't even in the game script (yet). The only mechanic I saw that related to stealth was the alarm that caused all of the AI on site to aggro.

Unfortunately, that's how many video games and expansions are designed these days. They are stuck in a perpetual state of Beta. I know it's pre-Alpha, so maybe it will get better. But I've seen it too many times to be optimistic. The final nail for me was Cyberpunk. So, I'll believe it when I see it.

Imo it was heavily directed
I don't see that exact that way. Week ago main guy said he is playing Odessey to prepare vids for us.
So it looks like that guys just played at home computers, recorded vids, maybe couple, and combined to show best they could. That was not something designed or directed by professional PRs as other games do.
So that should be treated as 2 new to game streamers recorded their "first launch" game.

I for one, saw a disturbing lack of jiggle physics.
Are u sure? It was 0.5G there. You can't judge by impression unless u did calculations and draw own simulation or spent some time on 0.5G planet urself.
Jiggles are used to catch balance on the move, that's why women do it more as they have unbalanced body.

I think that will be hard to learn tricks if you swap planets often actually. Like same fight on different G will do complete different.

Last edited:
Whereas Killzone 2 and Mass Effect 2 added amazing top-tier space flight models and full galaxy simulations with surprising ease.

Since Frontier is adding FPS features, they better do it right and learn from other successful games.

I for one, saw a disturbing lack of jiggle physics.

It appears the NPCs don't have ragdoll physics which is disappointing. Static death animations get repetitive.

Last edited:
Since Frontier is adding FPS features, they better do it right and learn from other successful games.
No one game was in variable gravity. And those who tried to do "space pew-pew" made it wrong any way.
So if you see some animation "does not fit", think twice, maybe because of gravity?

No one game was in variable gravity. And those who tried to do "space pew-pew" made it wrong any way.
So if you see some animation "does not fit", think twice, maybe because of gravity?

Possibly, but I don’t think gravity can explain all of the issues with the trailer.
I watched the Killzone 2 video (and remember playing at the time), and the animations are smoother (the way the characters run in Odyssey - gawd awful!), the graphics better, and there is interaction with the environment.
From a 2009 FPS.

What I saw on the Odyssey trailer is not as good as that, and that’s a genuine concern.

How is that even relevant?

FDev has created “top-tier space flight models and full galaxy simulations with surprising ease”.

Yep! I’m with you there! What an amazing game ED is.

But... so what? What’s your point? That this means they can create a poor FPS and that’s ok? Or that their FPS is also top-tier?

Loathe as I am to criticise something before I’ve had a chance to play it, I’m really not sure about the bright blue baddies once they’ve engaged their shields.

I get that it’s probably a gameplay thing - making it obvious to the player that it’s a shielded opponent - but I agree with other posters in this thread that it should only show when actually hit, just like our ship shields.

I’d much rather see a different, more subtle effect, perhaps like how personal shields are described in the Dune novel - a faint shimmer around the individual. Something like the existing heat shimmer effect that’s in the game, just applied to the NPCs.

Heck, I’d even suggest a Ready Brek glow instead of the Blue Man Group 😁

Top Bottom