Game Discussions PS5 players won't get future Bethesda games

Xbox boss Phil Spencer has confirmed that future Bethesda games will be exclusive to "platforms where Game Pass exists", meaning PS5 players will miss out.

During the "Bethesda Joins Xbox" roundtable on March 11, Spencer addressed speculation around whether the acquisition will see future Bethesda titles, such as Starfield and The Elder Scrolls 6, becoming Xbox exclusives – and it's not good news for PS5 players.

It's not a huge surprise that Microsoft is choosing to utilize its Bethesda acquisition to secure exclusivity for some of the biggest game franchises around, but it is a major hit to those on PS5 who were looking forward to playing future Bethesda titles.
Just like Microsoft Studios in the past, this entirely ruins gaming for many., many people.

Microsoft's acquisition of Bethesda is the actual end of Bethesda as a meaningful force in the industry, no matter what financial success remains for Microsoft's new profit monkey.

giphy.gif

I find that no different than Sony exclusives...Microsoft are simply playing the same game. As a PC/Xbox player, I still want to play the likes of Ghost of Tsushima or Horizon: Forbidden West...Gods of war even.

I'm a gamer, I don't particularly care what piece of plastic I play games on, but I'd much rather be able to play them all regardless of which one of the 3 major types of expensive plastic I prefer, PC, Xbox or PS. Games should be universal, not gated behind some corporate hardware marketing strategy.

It's been a staple Sony marketing strategy for as long as there's been a Playstation and it's about time this locking of game development houses behind a corporate brand name was ended, whether it be from Sony or Microsoft. I respected Guerrilla games for releasing HZD on PC via Steam last year...took 3 years for it to happen but I regarded it as a good sign none the less.

Last edited:
It doesn't really matter. Just like the myriad of console exclusives never mattered for me. Some I know by title and that they exist, but their appeal is gone with the wind usually. You'll forget about it in no time. If the products on offer actually are sufficient for you. Or you'll turn to another platform that has a broader set of offerings and doesn't make you pay through the nose for their "services". Some also think it's a good idea to get all platforms - I'm oldschool and think PC is pretty sufficient for one gamer life.

It doesn't really matter. Just like the myriad of console exclusives never mattered for me. Some I know by title and that they exist, but their appeal is gone with the wind usually. You'll forget about it in no time. If the products on offer actually are sufficient for you. Or you'll turn to another platform that has a broader set of offerings and doesn't make you pay through the nose for their "services". Some also think it's a good idea to get all platforms - I'm oldschool and think PC is pretty sufficient for one gamer life.
I still want Ghost of Tsushima and Horizon:Forbidden west on my PC :D

Games should be universal, not gated behind some corporate hardware marketing strategy.

Need more open-source games.

Or you'll turn to another platform that has a broader set of offerings and doesn't make you pay through the nose for their "services".

Or I'll wait ten years and play them on an emulator at quadruple their original resolution!

I still want Ghost of Tsushima and Horizon:Forbidden west on my PC :D
HZD expansion I'd expect to be ported since the base game was. I actually like hunting in OW. It still does sell very sluggishly to me, because console game just dont sell well to me. Even if I hear a lot of praise for the game. Too many shise ports that I've played, I guess. Also seen a good many games devved for multi-platform which didn't turn out so great - the task is pretty hefty and getting right one platform is already too much more some.

I've heard of Tsushima. Also praise. Don't really know what it is. Have mentally filed it under platformer / wossnamer where you have to click the right combo when fight your boss. I guess that can be interesting but not really my cup of tea.

HZD expansion I'd expect to be ported since the base game was. I actually like hunting in OW. It still does sell very sluggishly to me, because console game just dont sell well to me. Even if I hear a lot of praise for the game. Too many shise ports that I've played, I guess. Also seen a good many games devved for multi-platform which didn't turn out so great - the task is pretty hefty and getting right one platform is already too much more some.

I've heard of Tsushima. Also praise. Don't really know what it is. Have mentally filed it under platformer / wossnamer where you have to click the right combo when fight your boss. I guess that can be interesting but not really my cup of tea.
Ghost of Tsushima is the Assassin's Creed that never got made...feudal Japan. From watching more than a few reviews and gameplay videos it's universally lauded as being awesome. HZD...loved every second of it when it appeared on PC. A deep engaging storyline with gameplay to match....

I still go back for a replay of HZD every now and then and always enjoy it just the same as the first time I played it...it's kinda a Witcher 3 with robotic dinosaurs, better combat system and is truly scary and challenging when you turn the difficulty up. You go from wading in and knocking robo-dinos about with your spear to hiding in long grass hoping they don't see or hear you...The port to PC is practically faultless too, a stunning game graphically that runs at high FPS even on ultra settings on older machines....

HZD benchmark running on my wife's 4 year old desktop...
LJ8H15B.png

dwn5cwT.jpg

sF4lUVM.png

Last edited:

Deleted member 110222

D
Meh, PlayStation has been a terrible platform for Bethesda games since forever.

You guys understand that Betesda was heavily biased in favour of Microsoft platforms long before the takeover, right?

Sure there's a couple PlayStation exclusives of franchises that are a bit meh, but all the big name games just work best on an Xbox or PC.

And yeah. Sony has been playing this game for years. Their customers are salty because they likely won't get to play TES6 or FO5. Honestly? Meh. If one vo.pany can play the exclusive game, why shouldn't Microsoft?

At the end of the day they're still not doing console exclusives. Windows is part of their scope too.

After the fallout 76 train wreck I can only see good things coming from this. Why you would play a Besthesda game on anything other than a pc is beyond me. Mods are the only thing that make their mediocre games actually good.

That said Microsoft is not the biggest fan of mods either so there is that..

Deleted member 110222

D
Well, Microsoft is already making changes. Yes, loot boxes are still in ESO, but the items in them that previously could not be purchased with the gem currency in lieu of a natural drop, will now be purchasable that way too.

It is a step in the right direction there.

Deleted member 110222

D
After the fallout 76 train wreck I can only see good things coming from this. Why you would play a Besthesda game on anything other than a pc is beyond me. Mods are the only thing that make their mediocre games actually good.

That said Microsoft is not the biggest fan of mods either so there is that..
You do get that is not true, right? Halo has it's own mod-enabled launcher. Flight Simulator actively promotes it.

They don't meddle much with devs these days now. Yes, I expect limited, if any, modability on game pass. I have no worries about outright purchases though.

Ghost of Tsushima is the Assassin's Creed that never got made...feudal Japan. From watching more than a few reviews and gameplay videos it's universally lauded as being awesome. HZD...loved every second of it when it appeared on PC. A deep engaging storyline with gameplay to match....

I still go back for a replay of HZD every now and then and always enjoy it just the same as the first time I played it...it's kinda a Witcher 3 with robotic dinosaurs, better combat system and is truly scary and challenging when you turn the difficulty up. You go from wading in and knocking robo-dinos about with your spear to hiding in long grass hoping they don't see or hear you...The port to PC is practically faultless too, a stunning game graphically that runs at high FPS even on ultra settings on older machines....

HZD benchmark running on my wife's 4 year old desktop...
LJ8H15B.png

dwn5cwT.jpg

sF4lUVM.png

Quite the praise here for HZD I was tempted some time ago but something put me off, probably a review I'd read I suppose.

I play mostly for a good story and interesting characters, what you seem to be saying here is a recommend in that regard?

Quite the praise here for HZD I was tempted some time ago but something put me off, probably a review I'd read I suppose.

I play mostly for a good story and interesting characters, what you seem to be saying here is a recommend in that regard?
Definitely, HZD really surprised me with the depth of story and lore involved in it. It was truly immersive and a sheer joy to play through with excellent character acting throughout. I can quite solidly recommend it to anyone who like me, loves a great storyline in a single player game. Solid 10/10 from me. Graphically stunning; engaging, diverse gameplay, well thought out crafting, trading and upgrade system and one of the best game storylines I've ever played through..

Last edited:

I am not an HD Mole, but in short:
Girl raised by a volunteer tribe castout (who knew he got cast out when he set out to fulfil a revenge and try a rescue of family members). From being shunned from the tribe she gets to be the tribal scout into forbidden areas to investigate a looming menace over the mountain, all the while trying to find out about someone she believes to be her mother and improving her skills with bow, sling and spear.
The human race exists onyl in beautiful ruins.
A mercenary will help against bandits but later fight her (should you choose so), a traitor later leads to some of the most revealing dig sites, a soldier almost looses his sister you tried to help him rescue and all the while two major intelligences pull the threads in the background though human and machine puppets.
Some machines you can kill, some you must, some you can catch, some trap, some will help you. You rescue children, catch thieves, help lovers, support a renegade, fight a warlord.
But how to do this you will have to learn. Items can be found and traded, improvements stacked, weapongs bought, treasures found.
A priest will help with lore, a loco shamane sends her hunting down rare animals to get pieces of the solution and a town full of people will contain a market and a prison and a king. And an elevator.
In the addon (Frozen wilds) you fight teddies to shut down a once human controlled vulcano.
You collect plants for medicine and poisons, shot animals for food and crafting, shoot robots for parts and explosives.

I was sorry when I played the last mission and cant wait for the sequel (forbidden west) to come out (preordered it even).

Last edited:
Right guys thanks for those words here, I'll have a go at this later.
One more thing I'll mention...turning the difficulty up changes the entire nature of the game. It morphs from being similar to Assassin's creed-like difficulty to Alien Isolation-esque sheer terror. It forces you to play totally differently...as in... "Do I really want to be firing arrows at those big robot dinosaurs over there and upset them or should I just hide in the grass here and find another way around?". There's always a stealth option...the harder difficulties make it a life saving choice.

It makes you chose your moments...whether to risk everything in trying to get those spare parts you desperately need or just waiting till you have the right gear to be taking the bigger robo-dinos on.

Wow that's a big difference there, normally turning up difficulty in games doesn't have quite so stark a comparison.

I'm assuming it's a better experience on the hardest difficulty then?

One thing I did read recently was the quality and diversity of side tasks was quite low? Any comment on that?

One thing I did read recently was the quality and diversity of side tasks was quite low? Any comment on that?

Im what regard exactly? Repeatitive action? Solutions only won by a fight?
You can sneak, climb, swim, circumvent, steal or only maim, trap and plunder or kill and scavenge.
You help a painter gather colours.
You help a musican reinstalling the perfect acoustic environment.
You help a scavenger find the one item he always longed for. (Why he lost it in an ancient water barricade, I do not know.)
You help a nature reserve ranger to reclaim his lost animal toys.
You do not help a warlord continuing sacrifice games against robot dinosaurs. (But I think this was maybe a main quest)

One mission you go into a valley where all robots (which normally attack on sight) are peaceful and docile among the humans.
I
nvestigating the cause of this you find something like a peace ray. And two dolts in train of breaking it for money.
They succeed.
Lets just say the way out of the valley is not as peaceful.

You follow the trail of a missing husband, having gotten lost with a waggon load of brandy. Yeah, this could have only one obvious resolution as to the reason.
But it's fun to rescue the barrels dropped from a waggon with a broken axle among a herd of robot bisons about 50 times your size, while the injured husband hides between some rocks he fears to get out from.

You try to reach a certain "hunter" rank in the city, by figthing monsters. You are not promoted.
Your tribal outcast status (and being a woman) puts you against the master of the guild, who has stolen fame from the former master too according to your friend in the guild (you are not friends with at first).
You nevertheless get out (with your friend) to help her to slay the one monster everyone is in awe of.
You are waylaid.

When you find the moster, it is already in a fight. Against said guild master.
He does not get promoted. Ever again.
If you play this right, you get our friend on his post. If you both
survive
the monster

Top Bottom