Engineers Ships Random experimental effect applied without option to select

This has happened to me 3 times already. I go to an engineer to apply an experimental effect. I use my mouse to press the "experimental effect" button, and before I am able to select an effect. A random one is selected for me. I have checked over my peripherals and confirmed that there is no ghosting with my inputs, including my mouse. I don't care about credits, but eng materials + the time to fly there was a huge waste of time for me to waste on a random effect. Anybody else get this? Known bug? Any recourse?

I have several times. Be very precise when clicking on the experimental, don't know if it's my mouse or a touchy menu button.
If I really pay attention it does'nt happen.

Also had this issue several times but not recently, it may be server lag related as possibly the server gets two button presses and the second is triggering experimental beneath the mouse pointer.

I can confirm the bug - and is there, eating our hard worked materials, for a long time....
The only way to get around is NOT to use the mouse when you select the effect, but yes, the keyboard ....
I was robbed by this bug at least a dozen times, sadly - like the OP here I thought was some lagging input - but after I changed the mouse 2-3 times - the bug still persist.

True, is not always, but now I am too scared to choose the effect using the mouse - always keyboard and ONLY keyboard. Better be sure....

The same crazy bug affects the rail guns - I use a pair of them or even 3 or 4 Imperial Hammers in many ships / builds - many times with different effects on them - and several times one of the guns only shoots after 2-3 even 5 seconds later, after I press the fire button..... Only 2 of 3 guns fire, or only one of two.... the other will fire only after 2-3 even 5 seconds !
Really, really annoying, that's sure...

Obvious this will ruin your aim, since the target is not there anymore, and is annoying like hell... I did everything - disable - re-enable the rails, log out, restart the game, the PC - no results... only get rid of the bug when I went in the other system.

Many in-game bugs are related to a specific system - remember those engineer planets where you get "frozen" in the jump sequence ?.... when the counting starts, the jumping sequence animation starts, and will keep minutes and minutes there - and only a hard kill of the game will help ?

Some systems are also losing the frame rate and induce a terrible lag if you stay there more than 45 minutes / 1 h, shooting pirates in ResH or just simply doing your mining - the only way around is to log-out and log back, obvious dealing with new pirates if you are mining ....

This is a clear sign, imo, of memory leaks in the game design, in those systems - not really a huge issue, but nonetheless annoying....

Last edited:
Happens to me too. Same thing would also send me in to Open when hitting continue. You can avoid it by opening the experimental choices with the space bar, or whatever you have mapped to menu select.

Last edited:
I have several times. Be very precise when clicking on the experimental, don't know if it's my mouse or a touchy menu button.
If I really pay attention it does'nt happen.

I have found sometimes the game appears to register a single mouse click as a double mouse click, when entering the game it often automatically enters "open" after clicking play, as if I had clicked play and open consecutively. It never does this with the joystick because the fire button is a much more positive click and release whereas the mouse button is sensitive to accidently double clicking, that may be the issue here.

This has happened to me 3 times already. I go to an engineer to apply an experimental effect. I use my mouse to press the "experimental effect" button, and before I am able to select an effect. A random one is selected for me. I have checked over my peripherals and confirmed that there is no ghosting with my inputs, including my mouse. I don't care about credits, but eng materials + the time to fly there was a huge waste of time for me to waste on a random effect. Anybody else get this? Known bug? Any recourse?
Yeah, I've had this. It's like my mouse click goes right through and selects something on the next screen.

What I do is not use the mouse to click those buttons, but instead just hover my mouse over them and hit the Space bar. That prevent the "double mouse click" problem.

Note that this same problem exists elsewhere in the UI, but most times it doesn't matter as much because you just wind up selecting something fairly unimportant. It does, however, happen on the main screen and can dump you into a mode you didn't mean to select.

It's a long-standing bug. Maybe it'll be fixed someday.

Sending you on Open - yeah, old bug also.... but that is just a joke when compared with the loss of materials when applying an undesired effect/unselected - ruin your rare materials stock, and not once this damn bug forced me to make trips of hundreds LY in order to get "more" of that rare raw, or encoded or manuf. materials...

That is, the game "stole" you something what is precious and, somehow, difficult to get by.....

This bug is active, after last update, but is more related to some systems - but also the "hyperspace - dethrottle" bug is up in force again, all my ships are plagued randomly...
The only working solution, by now, seems to involve un- powering the auto cruise module, disable dethrottle, restart client, and re-enable all;
Is working.... but just some time, after 1-2 hours or in next session, the fracking bug is back....

but also the "hyperspace - dethrottle" bug is up in force again
This one yes I can confirm 100%, started again few days ago but it happens after a certain period of playtime for me, also if you land and use the SRV, once in space again the SC assist won't dethrottle anymore until you land/switch ship/relog.

This problem you describe with engineers has been going on since it's inception and the way to avert it is by using the flight stick to navigate the menus
I use a wireless gaming mouse that seems to cause the same double click issue with menus in the game. The game may be a register a click as the mouse button is pressed and another as you release. It never occurs when I use the flight stick to navigate the menu system.
Not sure if it happens with a wired mouse since I've never used one with ED.

EDIT: Come to think about it, there may even be a post by me reporting the problem years ago.

Last edited:
This problem you describe with engineers has been going on since it's inception and the way to avert it is by using the flight stick to navigate the menus
I use a wireless gaming mouse that seems to cause the same double click issue with menus in the game. The game may be a register a click as the mouse button is pressed and another as you release. It never occurs when I use the flight stick to navigate the menu system.
Not sure if it happens with a wired mouse since I've never used one with ED.

EDIT: Come to think about it, there may even be a post by me reporting the problem years ago.
When I am on engineers base, I ALWAYS use only the keyboard to select effects - I lost to many rare materials on this fraking bug to risk using the mouse anymore...
But using the keyboard is safe, from my experience ;

Yes, I can confirm that I have had it happen to me a few times.

I now try to remember to click on the far right of the "Experimental Effects" button and it has never happened when I do, or use the keyboard/stick (most of my stick buttons are mapped to a keypress). Same with the going into Open bug, never had it happen if I click on the right side of the button, or the keyboard/stick

Top Bottom