Game Discussions PS5 players won't get future Bethesda games

Nearly all media publishers are rent-seeking ip/copyright/patent trolls that would rather stifle competitive innovation than engage in it, and for damn good reason. Terrible companies are par for the course in a system that mandates terrible practices to be competitive.

Microsoft is bad. Nintendo and Sony are worse.

Their loss I guess. It won't put people off buying PS5s. 🤷‍♀️

Err, it absolutely will. The console market revolves around exclusives. There certainly will be a share of people for whom the "next Skyrim" will be a decider when picking a console.

Err, it absolutely will. The console market revolves around exclusives. There certainly will be a share of people for whom the "next Skyrim" will be a decider when picking a console.

Honestly, I think Microsoft have massively overestimated Bethesda's current reputation amongst gamers.

Fallout 76 was an absolute train wreck, and people haven't forgotten. Skyrim and Fallout 4 are still full of bugs.

Currently, the decider will be backwards compatibility for the games they own (Xbox users will stick to Xbox, PS players will stick to PS), and the actual availability of hardware... which will be the key factor for those buying a new console for the first time.

Bethesda's bug-ridden releases that may happen in the future will be pretty far down on the list of reasons to buy IMO. 🤷‍♀️

Honestly, I think Microsoft have massively overestimated Bethesda's current reputation amongst gamers.

Fallout 76 was an absolute train wreck, and people haven't forgotten. Skyrim and Fallout 4 are still full of bugs.

Currently, the decider will be backwards compatibility for the games they own (Xbox users will stick to Xbox, PS players will stick to PS), and the actual availability of hardware... which will be the key factor for those buying a new console for the first time.

Bethesda's bug-ridden releases that may happen in the future will be pretty far down on the list of reasons to buy IMO. 🤷‍♀️

And I think you're confusing "gamers" with the wider population that buys consoles and games. Gamers hate microtransactions and the evil EA empire, yet EA sells millions of copies of FIFA and tons of extras for their Ultimate Team. With a 10 year old Skyrim being still relevant and selling today, TES6 will sell millions, even if internet gamers decide they don't trust Bethesda. At the end of the days, games are the reason people, including kids, choose a console. In my youth, it was a case of Mario or Sonic. Now stuff like the Sony exclusives are incentives, the MS ones are others, and Bethesda will certainly be part of the picture.

Last edited:
I dont really have a horse in this race but I do know one thing, I agree with the comments above about Bethesda and any future releases of their franchises. I buy based on many factors but track record counts highly. I've seen that record diminish in my opinion over the years.

PS1 players: Hey look at my new console! And it plays CDs!

PS2 players: Oh look, Microsoft has an ugly console. And we have God of War, MGS, and Kingdom Hearts! We rule! We don't need Halo.

PS3 players: Everyone's going to want a Blu-ray player, so of course I'm happy to spend an extra $100. Microsoft got GTA4, but we still have mad exclusives. Do you have The Last of Us or Uncharted? Didn't think so.

PS4 players: HA HA HA MICROSOFT KINECT SUCKS!!!111!1!! COME BACK WHEN YOU GET SOME EXCLUSIVE GAMES!!!

PS5 players: hey, wait a minute... I can't play ESO6 when it comes out? That's not fair...

The solution is easy. Spencer said exclusive to platforms where Game Pass is offered. If Sony wants to play those games... offer Game Pass on the PS5. If "games play better on PlayStation", as Sony claims, it's the hardware that's important... right?

Microsoft proved back in the 80s and 90s that it wasn't the hardware (IBM) that was important, it was the software (Windows). Sony is learning that lesson now.

And I think you're confusing "gamers" with the wider population that buys consoles and games. Gamers hate microtransactions and the evil EA empire, yet EA sells millions of copies of FIFA and tons of extras for their Ultimate Team. With a 10 year old Skyrim being still relevant and selling today, TES6 will sell millions, even if internet gamers decide they don't trust Bethesda. At the end of the days, games are the reason people, including kids, choose a console. In my youth, it was a case of Mario or Sonic. Now stuff like the Sony exclusives are incentives, the MS ones are others, and Bethesda will certainly be part of the picture.

Part of the picture, sure, but I really don't think it will influence things as much as you suggest.

Let's face it, when (if) TES6 is released, it will probably be a very good game but absolutely chock full of bugs. Look at CDPR and CP2077 for example. That is what will ultimately grab the headlines in the mainstream, with youtubers showing off the more hilarious ones, and the game itself will ultimately be forgotten by those unable to play it as "that buggy Microsoft game". That's how new PS5 owners will justify it to themselves and others, and something else will come along for the PS5 that is just as good if not better than TES6. Perception is everything.

Now, if either Sony or Microsoft had bought R* and done the same thing, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.

For myself, I played Skyrim to death on PC and PS4, and if I can't play the sequel on a PS5 when I get one, I'll be a bit miffed but I'll get over it. It won't make me want to rush out and buy an Xbox.

For myself, I played Skyrim to death on PC and PS4, and if I can't play the sequel on a PS5 when I get one, I'll be a bit miffed but I'll get over it. It won't make me want to rush out and buy an Xbox.

Exactly. Its doubtful it would persuade PS owners to jump ship, the brand is far too strong. So given that, why deny yourself the PS revenue by making it exclusive?

TES6 alone on PS5 - were talking hundreds of millions in game purchases and expansions.

Everyone has different priorities. For me it's accessible modding and paid mods and cheats is a nono in my book. They lost most of their cred since FO4 with me. Most of it due to creator club, proprietary launcher and nickel&dime marketing with FO76. Lots of lying, shelling out a MP game while having no clue about MP. There is a lot they effed up really.

Deleted member 110222

D

This happens not long after Microsoft takeover.

Finally, ESO is offering cosmetics for daily gameplay.

Still think Microsoft is bad? It really isn't. We were predicting something like the above news over in the UESP since the day the news broke. And it is being implemented on the first major expansion for ESO since the takeover. They worked this in fast.

Widely debunked. Only 10-15% make it into the hands of scalpers.
Sony sold 4.5m PS5 in first 2 months so 675,000 in scalpers hands reselling at 000s over rrp. Sony sells at a loss so relies on % of game prices thats why console games are double pc games

Well, I see this reported as “official” now:

Not surprised but quite disappointed - for me there is a big difference between developing unique IP to sell your hardware (Mario, Sonic, Halo, Gran Turismo, Forza, Uncharted, Tsushima) which are exclusive from Day 1 vs what Microsoft has done with Bethesda which is to simply buy existing IP and then pull it from availability on competitor platforms. Pure and simple monopolistic, anti-competitive behaviour.

Top Bottom