I may have set a record in Elite Dangerous today.....

...by crashing my Type 7 a few minutes after I bought it.

Turned out I had forgotten to get the docking assist module. I was able to take off from a station but landing was an entirely different matter. Even though the station was rotating, I was able to get in without bouncing off too many things. I was able to find the landing pad but from that point, things got out of control.

I wasn’t able to lower the ship to the pad. Then I ran out of time, so I figure it’s time to leave. Now, I’m trespassing so I’m trying to get out as fast as I can. As I approach the exit, I can see I’m too low as will hit the bottom of the exit. Just before that happens, I was fired on and the ship exploded.

Got sent to a detention center. I had my Sidewinder transferred there so I could swap the docking module. So all ended up well. Thankfully I listened when you guys said “Don’t fly without rebuy!” 850 k made me whole again.

How do you lower a ship to the landing pad? Is there thruster control?

Last edited:
do you have the Rotational correction(?) turned on? this will stop the station from rotating after you fly through the mailslot.

i use a HOTAS, so i have the downthrust tied to one of the buttons on the throttle control.

it's been so long since i used a controller i can't remember how to downthrust with one.

probably push down on the left thumbstick to switch to alternate controls and then down on the right thumbstick.

regardless, you change the control setup by pushing start, selecting controls and scrolling through all the options.

I once smashed a T-6 into the mailslot, last thing I saw was all my cargo floating around in the station.
Not sure what system you're playing on, R and F are vertical thrusters on PC.

My best crash was accidentally clicking the boost key inside the station. Smash into the back wall, then had some issues turning around and getting control over the ship. :D And of course, like Dysonl, I also have lost a ship after getting stuck in the mailslot. I think it was Beluga or another of the big ships.

do you have the Rotational correction(?) turned on? this will stop the station from rotating after you fly through the mailslot.

i use a HOTAS, so i have the downthrust tied to one of the buttons on the throttle control.

it's been so long since i used a controller i can't remember how to downthrust with one.

probably push down on the left thumbstick to switch to alternate controls and then down on the right thumbstick.

regardless, you change the control setup by pushing start, selecting controls and scrolling through all the options.
I don’t know if rotational was on. Thanks for mentioning that.

I tried clicking the sticks down but nothing I did gave me thruster control.

My best crash was accidentally clicking the boost key inside the station. Smash into the back wall, then had some issues turning around and getting control over the ship. :D And of course, like Dysonl, I also have lost a ship after getting stuck in the mailslot. I think it was Beluga or another of the big ships.
I did I that too. But the ship didn’t boost. I thought it must be disabled inside a station.

Planetary bases can be tricky too. It's worth doing a Google search and find the point on your hud that shows the gravity of the planet your landing on.
This will prolly be the next thing that catches you out.

A good way forward for you may be to jump into the training simulations.
Any mistakes here are free so you wont be risking your credit ballance.
Pick a trade one but dont bother with the mission.
Fly outside the station and practice your flight controls and inputs.
You may need to reassign some of your bindings in the comtrol scheme until they suit you.

Stick with it man its all a learning curve.

Last edited:
Some thrusters dont have a key assigned by default on XB so yes into settings and find Vertical thruster and set a stick to them. gl

Maybe recheck the bindings. It can get confusing.

default.jpg

classic.jpg

A good way forward for you may be to jump into the training simulations.
Any mistakes here are free so you wont be risking your credit ballance.
Pick a trade one but dont bother with the mission.
Fly outside the station and practice your flight controls and inputs.
You may need to reassign some of your bindings in the comtrol scheme until they suit you.

Stick with it man its all a learning curve.
Good idea👍🏼

Top Bottom