Suggestion on Optimizing Travel Times Without Breaking Current "Game Rules"

As a PvP pirate, I support the idea of in-system star jumping. I'm going to figure out where the points of traffic are anyways, and I'll go stalk the secondary star if I have to. Anyone who is able to high wake out to another system is capable of highwaking out to another star, so I don't see what the issue is.

One thing is for sure, if I'm not able to get the drop on someone, and they beat me into full speed supercruise, I'm damn sure not chasing them 200,000 Ls to the next star. I wouldn't consider them waking to the next in-system star any more of a loss than them waking out to the next star system.

If anyone has counterpoint to my position, I'd love to hear it.

Anyone who thinks flying in a straight line for 20 minutes to get from the A to the B star is "fun gameplay" is out of their gourd.

I was only making the point that I've seen in hundreds of these threads before - it's not something I subscribe to as I said. I agree that it would be better to have these mini jumps, but that's just my opinion, and I thought I'd save the OP some hassle by mentioning it before he got swamped with angry posts! Maybe I wasn't clear enough?

Two new engineering experimentals for FSD.

Hyperscopic Resonance. Allows you to jump to any Star in system.

Residual Wake Dampeners. Increases acceleration and deacceleration in super cruise by 25%.

/thread

Braben that'll be 20k.

Deleted member 115407

D
I was only making the point that I've seen in hundreds of these threads before - it's not something I subscribe to as I said. I agree that it would be better to have these mini jumps, but that's just my opinion, and I thought I'd save the OP some hassle by mentioning it before he got swamped with angry posts! Maybe I wasn't clear enough?
I read your post right. it wasn't a response to you as much as it was one inspired by what you said.

I think the long travel times in some systems is lubricous. I'm all for maintaining supercruise speeds, and having people manually fly to planets within a star system, but every little bit helps when it comes to respecting the player's time. And allowing us to jump to intra-system stars would break nothing that I can think of, and would open up a lot of neglected long-distant settlements in the bubble.

Residual Wake Dampeners. Increases acceleration and deacceleration in super cruise by 25%.

/thread

Braben that'll be 20k.

Two new Engineering stuff for computers.
Steam and Epic Stores: Allows people to find and play the games they like, instead of wasting time trying to change a game they dont like (while others like the said game as it is)

There are so many ways it could be made more interesting.

Gravity ley lines that change acceleration rates in a substantial way (use actual piloting skill to track the line).

Increase accel and decel curves.

Damage hull and modules for accessing ultra cruise mode with faster curves.

Overcharge the FSD and take heat damage to improve the curves.

Burn fuel faster.

Age the pilot so the holo-me sliders have an ever increasing minimum.

For you pirate naysayers, beating NPC interdictions is garbage easy. If you really believed your own press about how easy it is to escape after an interdiction then you wouldn't dare to make this argument. If it is that important to your immersive game play, reduce the time on the interdiction clock.

Deleted member 115407

D
Two new Engineering stuff for computers.
Steam and Epic Stores: Allows people to find and play the games they like, instead of wasting time trying to change a game they dont like (while others like the said game as it is)
Stop and think about that statement. OP isn't asking to fundamentally change the game he is playing. He's simply suggesting that an unnecessary time sink be removed from the game.

Here is the gameplay loop we're talking about.

Highwake to system
Point nose at star B
Sit idly for 35 minutes while the space dust flies by
You have arrived at star B

Wow, amazing gameplay right there.

Here's the alternative that OP is suggesting.

Highwake to system
Highwake to star B
You have arrived at star B

Congratulations, the playerbase has gained the benefit of not having to sit idly for 35 minutes, at the cost of missing out on 35 minutes of engaging gameplay while they watch space dust fly by.

I do have a Fleet Carrier... not talking about jumping straight to a planet but ot the secondary star...
you still have SC time to any planet/location inside the system and still follow the ship you wanna chase

Ok, so you can microjump - for a price.
That should be enough for the occasional in system jump

For everything else we have ships and the various systems, some with single stars, some with close doubles or triples and some with really spread companions.
This means variance.

Any in-system star to star (or any other easily accessible fast travel) will remove this
All systems will be the same
And i'm pretty sure i dont want that.

Stop and think about that statement. OP isn't asking to fundamentally change the game he is playing. He's simply suggesting that an unnecessary time sink be removed from the game.

Yea, check the above post.
With the OP's proposal... Congratulations - all system will be the same. A star and some nearby planets.

Any in-system star to star (or any other easily accessible fast travel) will remove this
All systems will be the same
And i'm pretty sure i dont want that.
It would only remove the boring travel for people that don't want the boring travel.

I have combat ships. I fight in a trade ship because I enjoy it. If you actually enjoyed the boring travel, you could still use the boring travel. Throttle down to go to hutton @ 30kms if you want. No one is trying to take that from you. Enjoy the vastness while reading a book or whatever.

What if your path of jump changed to a slalom and you had to maneuver and avoid space debris while earning pick ups/milestones to speed up or hinder? Even multiplicative jumps to reduce those double digit repetitive, sun no different than the last sun, thank u sir may I have another, exactly the same jump sequence since release without procedural components to offset the monotony of it all!?

Deeper FSS (i.e. more defining)?

Galnet News:

"Sirius Coorporation engineering department made some tweaks on the conection protocols with ship's sensors and is deploying firmware update to all FSDs in the galaxy allowing it to lock on a secondary star once you are already in-system."

There you go! Just like nvidia enabled rezisable BAR for a LOT of systems around the globe including my old X299 Asus motherboard with an intel 7820X. Resizable BAR now fully functional and operational.

Cheers!

Last edited:

/thread

Braben that'll be 20k.
Some actual dilemmas about which FSD mod to choose depending on ship function. Yes!

It would only remove the boring travel for people that don't want the boring travel.

I have combat ships. I fight in a trade ship because I enjoy it. If you actually enjoyed the boring travel, you could still use the boring travel. Throttle down to go to hutton @ 30kms if you want. No one is trying to take that from you. Enjoy the vastness while reading a book or whatever.

So, do what you enjoy.
You like combat, do combat. You dont need to travel for that, so you should not be bothered by travel in any way.

However, there are people that dont do combat at all in ED - yet you dont see them asking for combat to be removed or changed. They are smart enough to minimize or avoid combat all together and they refrain to ask for combat to be removed, maybe because it's part of the game, maybe because others love it, maybe both.

I dont enjoy boring travel, but i do enjoy ED being setup in a 1-on-1 representation of the galaxy, where distances means something and actions have consequences.

As a PvP pirate, I support the idea of in-system star jumping. I'm going to figure out where the points of traffic are anyways, and I'll go stalk the secondary star if I have to. Anyone who is able to high wake out to another system is capable of highwaking out to another star, so I don't see what the issue is.

One thing is for sure, if I'm not able to get the drop on someone, and they beat me into full speed supercruise, I'm damn sure not chasing them 200,000 Ls to the next star. I wouldn't consider them waking to the next in-system star any more of a loss than them waking out to the next star system.

If anyone has counterpoint to my position, I'd love to hear it.

Anyone who thinks flying in a straight line for 20 minutes to get from the A to the B star is "fun gameplay" is out of their gourd.
In system star jumping makes sense, jumping to planets do not.

Top Bottom