Request for open development and real communication with players.

Exactly. So why were things changed based on feedback? According to Frontier this is not a democracy and they are going to make the game how they see fit. What I am saying is the two things don't fit together.
They dont fit together because they are not the same thing. You think giving feedback === democratic development, it is not.

I make a painting, and ask you if you like it. Is that the same thing as asking you how I should paint my paintings and paint them accordingly?

The fact we're already discussing semantics on the 2nd page is a good reason to never do this :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Learn to keep your money in your wallet until such time as the product is fully released and reviewed. FD is not going to change and you have been around long enough to know it. You will have less frustration by waiting to see the product before paying for it and it’s the best message you can send.
The best message I could send would be not to buy it at all. ...but that would be biting off my nose to spite my face.

Until there is a better alternative Elite Dangerous is the best choice for me right now, despite the developers failings.
They dont fit together because they are not the same thing. You think giving feedback === democratic development, it is not.

I make a painting, and ask you if you like it. Is that the same thing as asking you how I should paint my paintings and paint them accordingly?
No, I don't think that at all.

Looking at your painting analogy - When you asked me for feedback, if I told you that I didn't like something about your painting would you then re-paint it to fix what I didn't like? This is effectively what Frontier are doing. All I am saying is IF they want to take our feedback into consideration and they are going to make changes to their work based on that feedback anyway, then taking on board that feedback during the initial work is going to save them having to redo the work that they have already done.

If I was a developer, I would listen to what fans are saying they want, but line has to be drawn somewhere since our desires are endless and time is limited. Still, more dev feedback and some heads up about future plans from time to time wouldn't hurt.

How about we let Frontier build the game, the way they envisage it. Then, if you like it, you buy it, if not, you don't and move on.

Then we don't end up with these incessant posts on the forum, from people who have no involvement with the development of the game, making various demands on the actual developers to change aspects, be more transparent with their roadmap (take that as : we see what you are doing and don't like it, so change it) and the self appointed "open letter" mob, "who speak for us all" but dont

All I am saying is IF they want to take our feedback into consideration and they are going to make changes to their work based on that feedback anyway, then taking on board that feedback during the initial work is going to save them having to redo the work that they have already done.
Define initial work?

When is the moment when asking for feedback about how something is build turns into telling someone how to build a game? They made that very clear in my eyes, and whether I like this or not isn't even important, I understand why they do it. You do understand the thing they are building is theirs right?

How about we let Frontier build the game, the way they envisage it. Then, if you like it, you buy it, if not, you don't and move on.

Then we don't end up with these incessant posts on the forum, from people who have no involvement with the development of the game, making various demands on the actual developers to change aspects, be more transparent with their roadmap (take that as : we see what you are doing and don't like it, so change it) and the self appointed "open letter" mob, "who speak for us all" but dont
I would be fine with that EXCEPT Frontier keep saying they want feedback from us and want to listen to what we want in the game and are then making changes based on that feedback. This is why I am saying Frontier need to be clear and consistent in what they are saying and doing.

So we should just shut up and say nothing? Neither good nor bad? Or we are allowed to say only good stuff?

Can you explain these rules, please?

Or you could've just ignore OP's post if it bothers you.

I would be fine with that EXCEPT Frontier keep saying they want feedback from us and want to listen to what we want in the game and are then making changes based on that feedback. This is why I am saying Frontier need to be clear and consistent in what they are saying and doing.
Just because I've given feedback, doesn't mean it's going to acted on.

Sometimes, even if a lot of people give certain feedback, doesn't mean it's the right thing to follow it.

Sometimes, a single piece of feedback might make a someone go "yes, that!"

Define initial work?

When is the moment when asking for feedback about how something is build turns into telling someone how to build a game? They made that very clear in my eyes, and whether I like this or not isn't even important, I understand why they do it. You do understand the thing they are building is theirs right?
The definition of initial work is irrelevant to the discussion. There is no moment when asking for feedback about how something is built turns into telling someone how to build a game, it doesn't turn into that ever. Nobody has said that it does.

Please do explain how they have made it clear in your eyes? Yes, I understand that what they are building is theirs.

To me their position is not clear at all.

Frontier have said that this is not a democracy - it's their game and they change it / add to it as they see fit. That seems clear to me, hopefully that is a clear statement to you too. They are saying they will make the game as they see fit and player feedback is not going to be taken into consideration when making their game.

Frontier also regularly say that they read all our feedback, they want to hear from us and that they are listening to our feedback. This is also a clear statement and you can hopefully see that they are saying here that they are listening to player feedback, which directly contradicts what they said in the above paragraph.

Players have historically complained bitterly about some of the features/functionality in the game. Frontier have also taken that feedback into consideration and made changes to their game, which again directly contradicts what they said two paragraphs above.

That to me is not a clear stance at all. Please explain how it is a clear stance to you?

Why? What is unclear and inconsistent about asking for feedback and them determining themselves what to do with it?
Nothing is unclear about that. I never said there was. Of course any feedback at any point should still be Frontiers decision as to whether or not it is implemented. The unclear part is them saying that they are not going to make changes based on feedback and then they make changes based on feedback.

Just because I've given feedback, doesn't mean it's going to acted on.

Sometimes, even if a lot of people give certain feedback, doesn't mean it's the right thing to follow it.

Sometimes, a single piece of feedback might make a someone go "yes, that!"
Of course it doesn't mean that. Nobody is saying that it does. As I said above - feedback should always still be up to Frontier on whether it gets implemented or not. This discussion isn't even about that though. It's about how and when feedback is given and used by Frontier IF they actually do want to take our feedback into consideration.

It is currently unclear as to whether or not Frontier do want to take our feedback into consideration so any discussion on how and when we provide feedback is pointless until their stance is made clear on whether they actually want the feedback so that they can take it into consideration.

If they don't want to take our feedback into consideration when making their game (which is what they have said) then they need to make that clear and stick to it rather than still asking us for feedback and making changes based on that feedback, when they have said that is not what they are going to do.

I think that ship has long sailed.

When you look at what the broad picture of what the players have been saying they want from day one (walking around in their ships, EVA, hostile boadring actions, atmospheric worlds, gas giants, Earth like worlds, complex life forms etc.) and what we're about to be served up in Odyssey it's clear that there is a yawning chasm between the players ambitions for the game and FDev's. It really does seem like a case of "you'll get what you're given and like it", not that I think game design by committee is a better option either.

I often deride game "communties" as free market research. But when a company just appears to ignore what are the main points of feedback from it's customers I'm just left with the feeling that the only point it serves is to show that enough people still give enough of a :poop: about a product that it's still worth milking it a while longer.

My request to Frontier is for them to switch to more open development, to have a public roadmap,
...but they have already done that.

their stock market update at the start of the year said
(paraphrasing)
  1. Elite Odyssey on PC by the end of the financial year (End of May 2021) - tick (19th May)
  2. Elite Odyssey on console by Autumn 2021.

do you want more detail than that?

Frontier already took my 240 USD for the game to the bank.
What I want and expect from the game based on what their stated plans for it were 6 years ago have been demonstrated as being somewhat irrelevant.
Live and learn.

So we should just shut up and say nothing? Neither good nor bad? Or we are allowed to say only good stuff?

Can you explain these rules, please?

Or you could've just ignore OP's post if it bothers you.
Nope, where did I say shut up? say nothing? only good stuff? There is a suggestions part of the forum, where this thing can be asked, where people who are interested, can view, discuss and comment on

That way I don't have to skip past the many posts, from people who believe others want to hear their opinion on a consumer product, one which they have a choice to either buy and play, or not.

If they think Frontier are not listening, they could always go and download the free Unreal engine and build their own game, how they want it to be. But then they will probably have the "mob" come and criticise everything they do as well

FDevs statement and stance is boils down to:

"We want, and Value, your feedback, but we reserve the right to ignore it and do what we want anyway."

shrugs

I am, however, all for more communications and discussion.

Even if that discussion comes down to "thanks for the feedback, but we're going to do it anyway."
What I would like added to that is "because of these reasons..."

...but they have already done that.

their stock market update at the start of the year said
(paraphrasing)
  1. Elite Odyssey on PC by the end of the financial year (End of May 2021) - tick (19th May)
  2. Elite Odyssey on console by Autumn 2021.

do you want more detail than that?
And this is the way they will continue to their business, for perfectly valid reasons. Which makes sense.
It wouldn't make sense to drastically change the business model into something more uncertain.
To achieve what, which strategic goals? Better customer satisfaction?

Or perhaps the opposite happens if everyone get miffed at what they propose every two days, noise and inefficient product development ensues.
How would this change the efficiency, quality of producing the titles as well as the business growth?
Many risks. This wont happen on a whim.

Still, they will have to communicate and align with their customers needs, that's how they can have a successful business in the long run.
But this can be solved with proper managed communication, still no need for open development/open roadmaps.

Top Bottom