ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey PC Launch Date

They had the option to delay a further 12 days and still come in 'on time' for the end of their fiscal year and chose not to.
Either we have been 'testing' a very old build just to stress the net-code etc. or they have a great deal of confidence in the ability of their team.
Or they need some days before the end of the month to account the preorders in the fiscal year.

ME: Andromeda, Anthem, Cyberpunk 2077, Outsiders... it's not like they'll be special, just the run of the mill in game development.
I only know of one of those... And only hated that because of story direction, PC performance was pretty good on release day ;) (and degraded after each patch for me)
(Consoles were not so fortunate - but the Odyssey console release is still months away)

Woohoo!! I finally managed to land on a planet and leave my ship!!! Wait..May 19th??!!! o_O in all seriousness (for once) I hope everything goes smoothly. Odyssey is going to be a great addition, i just hope its not being rushed out! (unless they have heard star citisen is finally being released end of the month and they want to get Odyssey out rather than risk losing players.........)

Do you honestly believe the game would survive a completely unfinished release? The gaming press would be all over it like a rash... (and the salt here would be epic!)
I believe they will put out a minimum viable product at the end of the fiscal year, yes.

They deliberately baited people by calling the Beta they usually do before release Alpha (or trolled Star Citizen)
They didn't do a Beta, which would've helped with the current state of Odyssey. While playable and ok'ish is far from good.
They canned a criticized core element of exploration without replacing it, instead of taking time to fix it/make it better.
I fear for the optimization especially, and if the framerates will stay nearly as they are, the gaming press WILL be over it.

It will be playable, yes, the Alpha is. But it will be like all other updates. Unfinished and way worse than they could be.

Also expect many hotfixes (=3)

Do you honestly believe the game would survive a completely unfinished release? The gaming press would be all over it like a rash... (and the salt here would be epic!)

I think it's par for the course. 🤷‍♀️

E: D has always suffered from being "unfinished", and Odyssey simply makes a whole new section of the game that is also "unfinished".

I lost any faith in anything ever being refactored, worked upon, and "finished" many many years ago. Makes me sad, but no longer surprised. :(

We'll see in about 4 weeks time though...No point in getting knickers in a twist, it's happening.

My knickers are more twisted about what this will mean for Horizons, since I have no choice in whether or not I get that "upgrade". If this were truly a separate DLC, I'd just wait until they ironed everything out before buying it, which will probably this fall when they release the console version. Unfortunately the worst parts of Odyssey (new UI, bad performance, and new lighting) will likely get backported into Horizons, which means I better enjoy it while I can. Not to mention all the bugs that will get backported as well, and you KNOW there will be plenty of bugs.

We'll see you on foot planet-side!

o7
Good news. I'm glad there's a couple of weeks between end of alpha to release, because I have a pluck-ton of other things to do around the house... :)

On foot and forward! See you on the dark side of the moon.

Top Bottom