Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Questions and Answers

There are 28 A's in the opening post alone. Have you posted a question? What was it?
But are these A's true A's? That's debatable if we're benevolent. I for one find the complete lack of depth to the answers disheartening, and the large ammount of "We can not talk/have no plans" to be depressing. Many questions are things that the community seems to want, by and large for a long time now, yet there are "no plans". Idk, but that's kinda sad if you think about it, that tells me that the community wishes are not heard in that way. You dont need to go overboard in the "Lets add every suggestion" kind of Store Citizen way, actually you should never do that but that's another topic entirely, but if your community keeps asking for the same things for a while now, shouldnt you at least start to make vague plans? maybe release these plans to the community, let them judge, and then you tweak according to feedback?

Idk, I keep hoping that there's more coming, but I dont see it?

The interesting thing is...on the ED Discord the mods say "to get your questions answered look to the forums"...lets face it, the forum is archaic and mis managed
Love ED, but cmon...

Many questions are things that the community seems to want, by and large for a long time now, yet there are "no plans". Idk, but that's kinda sad if you think about it, that tells me that the community wishes are not heard in that way.

Sure but if you go back to the problem of promising something you don't deliver, "I can't talk about that it" is a dead giveaway, right? As good as confirming it's being worked on.

Meanwhile, denying all knowledge of spacelegs, something the community has 'not been listened to' about for years, turns out FD were developing in the back room all along! That's not really refusing to listen to the community .. so much as managing expectations, respecting commercial interests that pay the piper and when it comes to it a nice surprise.

So, sorry you feel the way you do but promise it's not personal. And it is unlikely to change anyway so - as community - we just have to trust that player reactions INEVITABLY impact devs (the customer is always right) but also that it's Frontier's game, they're the ones having to develop, network and design it and it pays their wages, not ours.

I was on the verge of deleting Alpha but finally got this Hotas thing figured out so I guess i'll be keeping it. I probably won't play it much I am not much of a FPS player.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
The interesting thing is...on the ED Discord the mods say "to get your questions answered look to the forums"...lets face it, the forum is archaic and mis managed
Love ED, but cmon...
Frontier don't have an official discord.

If anybody can help I would appreciate it. I am using the cobra in alpha yesterday it started not letting plot a course I can only jump one very nearby system and that's about it. I don't think I changed anything but could have because of the new interface. Sent Frontier a report . Stuff like this makes me want to scream.

Never Mind it's fixed.

Last edited:
Sure but if you go back to the problem of promising something you don't deliver, "I can't talk about that it" is a dead giveaway, right? As good as confirming it's being worked on.

Meanwhile, denying all knowledge of spacelegs, something the community has 'not been listened to' about for years, turns out FD were developing in the back room all along! That's not really refusing to listen to the community .. so much as managing expectations, respecting commercial interests that pay the piper and when it comes to it a nice surprise.

So, sorry you feel the way you do but promise it's not personal. And it is unlikely to change anyway so - as community - we just have to trust that player reactions INEVITABLY impact devs (the customer is always right) but also that it's Frontier's game, they're the ones having to develop, network and design it and it pays their wages, not ours.
Even with my unadulterated mirror-reflective retroactive corrosive sidewinder zingers I agree but, with one caveat...if they would produce more we'd buy more!?

As far as development house we're too often banging on pipes for a drop of water....speaking of water where is it?

I've had a couple of questions also.

First, I found out on the stream today that the Alpha will import the ship from the main game. And, knowing how there are 2 new ranks coming up to grind, will any effort there in the Alpha get imported back to the main game upon release, or will that result in redundant grind?

Also I saw quite a few NPCs with different outfits...including one or two neat military uniforms I really liked. Are players going to be able to get their hands on some nice clothes like that?

1) Will there be drug/alcohol consumables with gameplay effects?

2) Will there be SRV ship kits for my Mad Max pvp squishy run downs?

3) Can we get engineering mats on foot related to ships?

4) If I deploy an NPC slf near a ground-based conflict (I will remain on my ship), will they be able to target pedestrian combatants?

Can I assume that the limited VR will go live on the 19th along with the whole game?

Last edited:
I saw on WIKI that two new ranks are being added. Why? Is there a reason behind adding the new ranks (such as new ships coming) that will require you to get those new ranks to use them

I saw on WIKI that two new ranks are being added. Why? Is there a reason behind adding the new ranks (such as new ships coming) that will require you to get those new ranks to use them
There are two new career paths to go along with Combat pilot, Trader and Explorer neither of which requires a new ship.
But it will mean that it will be possible to reach Quintuple Elite ignoring CQC of course.

unnamed2.jpg

My biggest questions right now are:

What's up with Bloom, or lack thereof? (Forget why they removed it for the Alpha, but shouldn't it be back?)

What's up with the lack of detailed information regarding Stored Ships and contents on them? (Manage Ships doesn't show any information regarding modules on said ship, only that it has X amount of Engineered Modules, X amount of Guardian Modules or SLF capabilities with a little icon)

What's up with lack of detailed information regarding Stored Modules and Engineering on them? I can see the level and type of engineering on the Modules equipped on my ship, but not the Modules in my storage. Just a symbol showing they are engineered and the stats (max range, thermal resistance etc)...

Thank Lord that they didn't bring the new UI over to Horizons. I still have lots of module sorting to do and I guess Spreadsheets matter more now than ever. :ROFLMAO:
Apologies if these topics have already come up multiple times before, I didn't spend much time in the 4th Phase of the Alpha other than screenshotting Ship texture differences and checking out the UI on the surface.

Will Odyssey have the same graphic impact as the current engine in terms of performance or will you need to upgrade your video card?
Odyssey will be optimised to run on your current setting for Elite Dangerous.
We are not changing this engine, we are however looking at any issues and fixing them ready for launch.
Thanks for the blatant lie

Thanks for the blatant lie
For real. My 1070 Ti could run the game at 1440p and still get 90-120fps no matter where i went in Horizons.

In Odyssey, I had to lower my monitor resolution to 720p, turn render resolution to 0.75, and turn everything to LOW or OFF just to be able to maintain 60fps. Hell, it still drops to 50 in station concourses.

How is that "optimized for our current settings?" Pretty sure their shareholders are gonna take them to court on this

Top Bottom