Why I and many others will rarely play open

Do you have engineered ships, are you elite, are you maxed out on rank? I find it very hard to believe some stories of open only players who have never tried solo or a private group. Not saying that about you because you have put in almost no details. The ones that I cannot believe are the ones who claim to have over 1000 hours, some claim to have 3000-4000+ hours in open, never having gone into solo or private group modes, have a dozen fully engineered ships, are maxed out on engineering mats, have unlocked at least every engineer near the bubble, max rank, triple elite, and on and on, yet have only been killed twice in 4-5 years of open only play, and have only been shot at outside of being killed twice two to three times by other players.

I'm mostly an Explorer, who comes back to the Bubble to potter around and do whatever.. Missions, CG's, whatever floats my boat. I've got some End'ed Power stuff and a an Eng'ed FSD. I've also got a Guardian FSD Booster. Got the Mats and Plans for more though.. Oh, and I also have some Eng'ed weapons at home, but I rarely mount them. As for Rank, the only Elite rank I have is for Exploration. Expert in Combat, Tycoon for Trade.

Gankers and griefers are always at systems where noobs will jump in the first time they leave the starting systems, they are all around the engineer bases and in the systems waiting near the star if they are not right there close to the base, they are at every CG event, at every gold rush, every hotspot, every popular location, but this guy managed to play in open only starting in a poorly rated starter ship, might have upgraded to an A rated Cobra before leaving the starter system, and evaded meta fully engineered ships, and players or missed them by chance for 4 years as they gathered mats and visited every engineer, , etc times a thousand, lol.

No way, did anyone get that far along from a noob in open only, and only got ganked twice.

There is no shame in saying the truth, that they did all of their grinding in solo or private, and once they had capable skills and ships they finally made open their permanent home.

Not using any terms or names, but I do not believe those stories for one second.

Maybe some of us wised up after the 2nd time.. Just because you don't believe it, doesn't make it untrue. Part of my plan for success is that I don't go to a lot of those 'popular' places, mostly because I no longer have any need to. I've done all the Engineering I want, got the Guardian item that interested me. I don't grind, I've rarely felt the need to, I keep the bins pretty full just pottering around doing 'stuff'. CG's are probably my Number 1 risk for being ganked and it doesn't seem to happen - I wish I knew why. Clearly I've had a different experience playing ED, but you don't see me implying others are a liar because my experience doesn't match theirs.

Which leads me to this question. If you almost never go to places other players are, what is the difference between that and Solo or PG? Empty is empty isn't it?

Nice attempt to twist my words to suit.. I said 'popular' places, not that I avoided all other players. Did you miss that I do CG's in Open? Colonia is a great stop off while Exploring. I've also been enjoying the Alpha, mostly for the peoples..

Yes, I spend about 50% of my time in the Black, but the other 50% is spent running missions, having a crack the the latest CG, doing whatever - in populated systems.

EDIT: I've just realised what this is about.. The fact there are those of us with low gank counts is offensive to some people so they imply dishonesty to cover their salt from not 'killing' us.

Others have mentioned Mobius, you'll see players once in awhile, but they rarely write anything on the comms. I suspect they probably forgot how....

Don't forget instancing and time of day/night can affect who you come into contact with.

My ship got blown up while I was driving around inside a Thargoid structure, not bothered with open since.

That was the ultimate reason for me to turn away from Solo forever. Back when the Guardian ruins were discovered... that tension when I was there for the first time, trying to unravel the mysteries in my SRV, that sense of menace and death....

Then a Brockoli comes along and 'parks' his 'Conda' right above my ship, so that I can't take off with my ship anymore - a clear provocation. No comms' not even an attempt at interaction - just to annoy me. Didn't get flustered, calmly returned my SRV to the ship and then initiated the launch process. The veg, of course, didn't like that I wasn't playing his stupid game so he started firing at me - just about made it into the SC and switched to solo - and stayed there until I discovered Mobius for myself. Never went back since. So, no big deal you say, but that 'first, big moment' was ruined - and that was what hurt me the most back then.

Others have mentioned Mobius, you'll see players once in awhile, but they rarely write anything on the comms. I suspect they probably forgot how....

Don't forget instancing and time of day/night can affect who you come into contact with.

My experience is different; there are always nice conversations and exchanges. I rarely meet another commander who does not respond to my greetings or does not greet me of his own accord. Often it doesn't take much more... a simple 'O7' in both directions and we go our separate ways. Except for the one time another commander stood by me when I was taken out of the SC by an NPC (I was not paing enough attention for a few seconds) and almost got killed - he came just in time to get me out of the mess. We chatted a bit about this and that and then went our separate ways, never to see each other again.

I'd play Open (both PvP and PvE) if ED had a basic functioning bounty/warrant/flag system like PvP MMOs perfected 20 years ago. Also rubber banding.

When the risk/reward balance isn't there, PvP is barely supported to begin with, and the meta is immutable, I don't see a lot of reason to play Open.

Edit: to clarify, I've played for ages and have infinite everything. I don't care about rebuys. It's not the risks that keep me away from open – but rather the LACK of risk for engaging in PvP activities.

Played since day 1

Started in Solo mode, then joined Mobius PG for a while, when Mobius group reached maximum limit & split, Fleetcomm PG launched.......been in that group since.
Also have my own PG's should the grandkids come round & want to play.

Spent very little time in Open

Griefers. For the most part.

Whenever I play open, and happen to cross ways with another player, I get interdicted and killed by a full engineered guy. "I mean, ok, you obviously want to test out your super OP ship and pubstomp little-me, I get it. I hope you were able to pump up that little ego of yours. Now I relogg into solo mode, goodbye." :D

Yee, it's dumb, really.

No really, I am glad that there is solo-mode. I just wanna chill and have fun.
Tho sometimes I get the urge to step into open-play with the hope to find some cool guys to play with. Even though it sometimes tends to end like described above.

Not sure, why I write this, maybe I don't want solo-mode ever to be deleted and I hope it never will be.

I'd be interested to know your experience in ED and whether your ships are engineered.

Of course it's entirely up to you but playing ED in Solo is basically ED with zero risk. We all get our kicks in different ways but a zero risk game to me seems like zero fun.

Of course I'd recommend to most people a visit it Deciat should be in solo because that just gets old and that ain't no fun either.

Open-only player here, I've lost exactly 2 ships to griefers.. What are you doing wrong?
Maybe he's not a min/maxer type of player? Maybe he's not a combat elitest, maybe he's handicapped or has medical problems. Are you assuming that everyone that plays Elite is as good and able bodied as you? I've played since launch and only lost one ship to player combat. Then I went to PG and never looked back :)

Deleted member 182079

D
Edit - you know what, scratch this. Been in this merry-go-round of a conversation far too many times, no matter how balanced or useful any advice given is, people made up their mind already and it's futile to convince them otherwise.

Do as you please, I'm outta here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe he's not a min/maxer type of player? Maybe he's not a combat elitest, maybe he's handicapped or has medical problems. Are you assuming that everyone that plays Elite is as good and able bodied as you? I've played since launch and only lost one ship to player combat. Then I went to PG and never looked back :)

I'm none of those player types either. I'm not even combat interested.. The OP makes it seem like the entire game is crawling with players who will do nothing but shoot on sight, this is untrue.

Top Bottom