Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Hotfix 1

Got an issue with the combat missions not ending after the match had won. Happened twice in a row, go grabbed a taxi back to the station.... Hope that get's fixed. Was working fine before the hotfix....

Could be worse...
1621599530120.png

Yes, that time is in hours.
In the end I gave up, uninstalled, reinstalled. Done in 2hrs.

We expected server and network issues, we always have had them after an update , so this shouldn’t be a surprise. I for one will never pay to test for fdev again . In future I will wait until after the first or second hotfix has been released. I’m dismayed and disappointed. I applaud their efforts in trying to fix the issues, but really, these should have been done before they released it. 500 programmers and this ?
And how many users can those 500 programmers emulate ?

Apparently on Wednesday night (i.e. teh night of the launch) they broke the record for the number of users trying to log on.
Most of the iissues we are getting currently are load and performance which are the hardest to test for, the hardest to predict and often the hardest to fix. This is nothing to do with the number of programmers.

Are there code bugs - yes - but bugs are inevitable not matter how many programmers and testers you have in the team.

Apparently on Wednesday night (i.e. teh night of the launch) they broke the record for the number of users trying to log on.
Most of the iissues we are getting currently are load and performance which are the hardest to test for, the hardest to predict and often the hardest to fix. This is nothing to do with the number of programmers.

Are there code bugs - yes - but bugs are inevitable not matter how many programmers and testers you have in the team.
They chose to close the alpha testing, they chose what features were tested, judging by the hotfixes release notes, they’ve sure been busy and quite rightly so...We as a community need to retain our player base, not disgruntle them , disillusion them until they sack it. I’ve seen lots of posts from frustrated players both on here and on social media. It sticks in my craw that we were asked to pay for the privilege of being their testers, when on previous releases we had betas. So is this release the beta ? Many are billing it as such.

2021...The year where testers pay instead of be payed and developers still release the content in sub par conditions to the other payed masses as a "Full release" beta test, But you know, here's our skin shop, the skins don't work but you can purchase them without issues....
That started a whole lot earlier. There are some Starry eyed Citizens who've Escaped from Tarkov who can tell you about it.

Oh I definitely know that...many have fallen to this unfortunately, its the fact that they can get away with it is the issue.
Personally I don't think FDEV is getting away with anything. If they were trying to 'get away with it' they would be ignoring criticism, locking the forums etc. As it is they are being open about the fact there are issues, and I am sure they will be as open as they can be about why the launch has had so many issues (both code and server). It is worth noting that the hosting of the servers is actually via Amazon flexed hosting so I wonder whether that has been the cause of some issues) - Dav said on the livestream yesteday that originally Amazon had said that FDEV wouldn't need more capacity so maybe something about Odyssey has exposed a frailty in Amazon hosting (I am speculating of course).

The Long and the short is that I don't think FDEV are attempting to get away with anything - they are more than aware that this launch will be brand damaging, and will remain long in the memory. FDEV might have hiccups, but they aren't a scam grabbing money for no reason, they have delivered a great game, great enough that we all care about it when we can't play. Lets be honest about that - FDEV wont get away with this, and it was never their intention. I am personally sure that everyone in FDEV did what they could ahead of time to ensure that the launch was smooth and that everyone can play smoothly - sadly a few major things have got through the net - but did they mean this to happen: no. Did they want this to happen: no. Did they expect it - almost certainly not.
I am pretty certain that FDEV fuly believed that Odyssey was launch ready.

Having been at the sharp end of software development and delivery for almost 30+ years I get how complex this stuff can be, and how upgrades and launches can go from ok to disaster at the blink of an eye.

We expected server and network issues, we always have had them after an update , so this shouldn’t be a surprise. I for one will never pay to test for fdev again . In future I will wait until after the first or second hotfix has been released. I’m dismayed and disappointed. I applaud their efforts in trying to fix the issues, but really, these should have been done before they released it. 500 programmers and this ?

They chose to close the alpha testing, they chose what features were tested, judging by the hotfixes release notes, they’ve sure been busy and quite rightly so...We as a community need to retain our player base, not disgruntle them , disillusion them until they sack it. I’ve seen lots of posts from frustrated players both on here and on social media. It sticks in my craw that we were asked to pay for the privilege of being their testers, when on previous releases we had betas. So is this release the beta ? Many are billing it as such.
The problem with Alpha and in the past Beta testing as I see it is that they have probably never got much more than around 10% of the player base to get involved which while it is going to be a goodsized number is nothing compared to the stress placed on everything at launch and the days after.

A longer period of Alpha testing probably would have thrown up some more issues but duration is the same as numbers.

Anyone notice now after the update in combat zones enemy team is comprised of mostly commandos while your team is scouts running in circles...lol Not to mention the god awful missions a gazillion ly or ls away for even less credits now....

Last edited:
Personally I don't think FDEV is getting away with anything. If they were trying to 'get away with it' they would be ignoring criticism, locking the forums etc. As it is they are being open about the fact there are issues, and I am sure they will be as open as they can be about why the launch has had so many issues (both code and server). It is worth noting that the hosting of the servers is actually via Amazon flexed hosting so I wonder whether that has been the cause of some issues) - Dav said on the livestream yesteday that originally Amazon had said that FDEV wouldn't need more capacity so maybe something about Odyssey has exposed a frailty in Amazon hosting (I am speculating of course).

The Long and the short is that I don't think FDEV are attempting to get away with anything - they are more than aware that this launch will be brand damaging, and will remain long in the memory. FDEV might have hiccups, but they aren't a scam grabbing money for no reason, they have delivered a great game, great enough that we all care about it when we can't play. Lets be honest about that - FDEV wont get away with this, and it was never their intention. I am personally sure that everyone in FDEV did what they could ahead of time to ensure that the launch was smooth and that everyone can play smoothly - sadly a few major things have got through the net - but did they mean this to happen: no. Did they want this to happen: no. Did they expect it - almost certainly not.
I am pretty certain that FDEV fuly believed that Odyssey was launch ready.

Having been at the sharp end of software development and delivery for almost 30+ years I get how complex this stuff can be, and how upgrades and launches can go from ok to disaster at the blink of an eye.
Wise words!
I agree with you. However this does seem to highlight a severe problem with FD management. They dropped alpha and beta testing in the past, got severe adverse reaction on release performance and only reinstated alpha testing when the player base pressurised them. It’s clear from the performance of the current release that beta testing should also be reinstated, because this release has far too many bugs to be called a release version, even for those people who can get it running at all. So FD should sort out their organisation, then they should formally reinstate beta testing.

What is causing me some concern is the networking issues. Now as I understand it the game runs on the machines of the player base; the FD servers are there to control those game aspects that need central coordination such as adjudication, missions etc. So are all these networking problems down to FD/Amazon server issues? or is it down to the playerbase PC capacity being insufficient to run this type of game with the current p2p networking philosophy? Because if the latter then there is a very serious issue indeed which wont be rectified until FD do a thorough overhaul of the the game code and significantly improve its performance. They clearly haven't had sufficient time since the alpha to do that yet.

Wise words!
I agree with you. However this does seem to highlight a severe problem with FD management. They dropped alpha and beta testing in the past, got severe adverse reaction on release performance and only reinstated alpha testing when the player base pressurised them. It’s clear from the performance of the current release that beta testing should also be reinstated, because this release has far too many bugs to be called a release version, even for those people who can get it running at all. So FD should sort out their organisation, then they should formally reinstate beta testing.

What is causing me some concern is the networking issues. Now as I understand it the game runs on the machines of the player base; the FD servers are there to control those game aspects that need central coordination such as adjudication, missions etc. So are all these networking problems down to FD/Amazon server issues? or is it down to the playerbase PC capacity being insufficient to run this type of game with the current p2p networking philosophy? Because if the latter then there is a very serious issue indeed which wont be rectified until FD do a thorough overhaul of the the game code and significantly improve its performance. They clearly haven't had sufficient time since the alpha to do that yet.
Not quite in terms of the networking - what appears to be failing (certainly in the Orange Sidewinder case) is the clients connecting to the central servers trying to find the previous state/instance for the user - What is p2p is when multiple players are in an instance, but getting to an instance itself requires connections to the central servers. It is that piece that is down to the amazon hosted servers.

Ah, yes. That makes sense.But I note the hotfix2 still hasnt corrected my commander ranks not showing correctly on the right panel status page. Thought that data should be held locally?
How do I verify files for the downlaod? Im sure that used to be under option but cant see it
Ah, just spotted it! Need more coffee!!!
Selected Validate Game Files, now seems to be doing a 20minute download?? 🧐🤔🙁

Edit: the Validation didnt fix my commander data bug. It is clearly in the game code since EDDiscovery has propagated my incorrect rank data into my EDSM account. Pah! 😱

edit2: it seems that others are suffering this same rank information bug, but have raised separate reports with different titles and are not supporting each other to get it to the coders' attention. I suspect if this is not confirmed by sufficient people it will just expire and be forgotten, it's the way FD bug fixing seems to operate nowadays! If you get the same problem (I think it only shows in Horizons or Baseline ED) then please support issue https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/33402 to push it up the confirmation pending stack!

Last edited:
Bugs bugs bugs, just collected a cargo, went to deliver it and cargo isnt there lol, also why does it take so long to deploy landing gear, was instant before now there is def a lag, I am not enjoying this game and I am not happy, I am going back to the old version and staying there until they sort this crap out, its a joke, why are gaming companies so bad at building games now ? It seems in every walk of like in the 21st century poor quality is rife

Top Bottom