State of the Game

Ouch!

An ex was born in Florence (Italy), that now routinely gets over 40c in summer. The city, esp its residental buildings, was never designed for such prolonged extreme heat.
Yeah, I mentioned earlier, Europe doesn't have much AC (if at all, really). That's very much an American thing. We never really planned for global warming either, most of our building were built 10-20years ago, and our cities are hundred years old. Narrow road, "no car" town areas, that kind of stuff. They build now with better isolation and solar panel, but it's recent. And old part of town are historical, so it's a nightmare to put "new technology" stuff.

The Mediterranean coast was used to have hot summer. 40°c was not unusual in Italy, Spain or south of France. And people adapted to that. They built differently (lots of shadows for the streets, for example). The siesta, to sleep during the worst of the day, or Spain open its store much later in the day, and eat dinner around 9-10pm, when it's cooler.
But the 40°c didn't last for weeks, months even. And that's quite difficult.

It's even worse for countries like Sweden. Last year a Finnish guy said he had 30°c, while in Finland summer are at most 25°c (which they find hot). Poor dude was red and suffering. Those countries have always build for cold, not heat.

Last edited:
Yeah, I mentioned earlier, Europe doesn't have much AC (if at all, really). That's very much an American thing. We never really planned for global warming either, most of our building were built 10-20years ago, and our cities are hundred years old. Narrow road, "no car" town areas, that kind of stuff. They build now with better isolation and solar panel, but it's recent. And old part of town are historical, so it's a nightmare to put "new technology" stuff.

The Mediterranean coast was used to have hot summer. 40°c was not unusual in Italy, Spain or south of France. And people adapted to that. They built differently (lots of shadowse for the streets, for example). The siesta, to sleep during the worst of the day, or Spain open its store much later in the day, and eat dinner around 9-10pm, when it's cooler.
But the 40°c didn't last for weeks, months even. And that's quite difficult.

It's even worse for countries like Sweden. Last year a Finnish guy said he had 30°c, while in Finland summer are at most 25°c (which they find hot). Poor dude was red and suffering. Those countries have always build for cold, not heat.
Yep. I'll take cold any day over heat. There is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing (Danish saying).

:D S

It always makes me laugh when I hear them say "Paris - France" like.. really dude??
No laughing matter, my friend.

Little known fact: As everybody knows, Paris is in Texas (not far from here). So, anyways, back in the 40s, a local dispute broke out (as they do) and it started to escalate (as things tend to do around my neck of the woods), so much so that eventually it was decided to deploy the Armed Forces to settle the issue, them being the only ones who speak Texan properly.

So far, so good.

But that's when things went pear shaped, because the top brass put a butterbar (2LT for those who don't speak proper English) in charge of drawing up the invasion plans. As a result, June '44 happened. As Bob Ross would put it: "a happy accident", but an accident nonetheless.

Moral of the story? Never, EVER hand a butterbar a map and a compass.

You'll find yourself in BFE, the compass will be pregnant and the map will be folded up all kinds of wrong.

Here endeth the lesson.

Last edited:
Top Bottom