New ships? Ever?

I would rather them fix the existing ships that have become obsolete, or were just always terrible (Asp Scout).
These days, I struggle to find a reason to fly anything other than my Python, my ExploraDolphin, my mining Orca, and my bulk trading Cutter. Now and then maybe my Combat Krait (simply to rank up my now-Dangerous NPC pilot), but that's about it. Not sure what they could add to a new ship that would entice me to fly it for more than a week just to say I gave it a try.

All I want is a ship exclusive to people that preordered Odyssey - don't even care if it's rubbish like the Cobra 4, I just want to see people moan while I watch my CPU burn.
They won't repeat that mistake for sure. And the Cobra IV is not and was never rubbish. In fact it got even more valuable in Odyssey with it's many small pad only settlements.
I still don't get how they got the idea to wave that ship into the face of new players in the Odyssey tutorial, knowing that those players can't get it.

Thing is.. alot of ships are, trying to be diplomatic, useless.
So very true. Unless one is just into RPing in game, most of the ship are just hangar fillers.
Credits are easy to make, and if one is into doing something efficiently, thing will boil down to 5 ships or so, out of the 38 we have available.
While some ships had their use when starting out, and credits were far and few inbetween, fuel cost an arm and a leg, the slow progress from Sidewinder, to eagle, to hauler to Adder etc was a thing.
Today a handful of missions and you will be flying your AspX for Exploration in no time, or haul Cargo in a T6 for more efficiency before switching to a Python for good.

New ships are long overdue.

Thing is.. alot of ships are, trying to be diplomatic, useless.
Presumption is you can earn a billion in a week easily.
Seems to me that if they added a zero to the price of all ships. Now that would make em all relevant again hehe.
I suspect that ships like the Asp Scout and the Diamondback Scout were added to be "destroyable ships" for players in CZ. They made them playable because otherwise players would complain, but really, their use is... limited... mabye an ingenious player will know how to work with them, but that's beyond me.

All I want is a ship exclusive to people that preordered Odyssey - don't even care if it's rubbish like the Cobra 4, I just want to see people moan while I watch my CPU burn.
I doubt it. We must face it, we PAID to be alpha testers and I can't say that I was completely fooled, because it said cleary "Alpha release". I foolishly asumed that once the DLC was properly released, they would give me something else than the pioner suit. I mean, when they incorporated Horizons to the game completely they gave out ship paints for all ship, so I thought that maybe "1,000 ARX thanks for your help and trust on us".

Nope...

I suspect that ships like the Asp Scout and the Diamondback Scout were added to be "destroyable ships" for players in CZ. They made them playable because otherwise players would complain, but really, their use is... limited... mabye an ingenious player will know how to work with them, but that's beyond me.
Nah, I don't think so. Even today, those ships have a use. Have you flown an Asp Scout recently?
They have a slow top speed and are a rather large target. Yes, it is flawed. But Mon Dieu, that ship is so maneuverable! It's pretty fun to fly.

Diamondback Scout. PvP tournaments have been won with that ship. The heat mechanics of a DBS are, well, they're the best in the game. Like hot weapons? That's your ship. Also the hardpoint placement is really nice. If you want to fly an ice cold space attack helicopter, there you go.

If you are "bored", with the ships you have, I suggest you try fa off if you have not already.

If you are bored with combat, I suggest fa off combat with plasma accelerators and rails.

Of course, organized PvP will take most Commanders' abilities to the limit. If one eschews PvP, well I am afraid one will probably not experience the full capabilities of Elite Dangerous' glorious flight model. You know how many Commanders decry the Community Managers' flying abilities? Well, that's how PvPers view most of the community's flying abilities, AX pilots excluded.

Nevertheless using PAs against elite Viper3 npcs is fun. And the large Thargoid Interceptors are absolutely superb and challenging to fight for PvE action.

I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song and the white sail’s shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea’s face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick’s over.

John Masefield

we need interesting ships as goals. Most ships are wedges and what not other than the Chieftain. They already started giving ships extra slots for military equipment. They should do the same for exploration and trading. At least on new ships to give them some flavor.

I agree some of the ships are less than amazing. But that has nothing to do with the price. Paying ten times as much for a T-7 wouldn't make it any better.

Sure it would. Players right now can skip it entirely, so it's completely useless. But if you actually needed to spend more than an hour before jumping straight into a t9, you would have more reason to use the lower tiers of ship, like the t7, or Adder.

Sure it would. Players right now can skip it entirely, so it's completely useless. But if you actually needed to spend more than an hour before jumping straight into a t9, you would have more reason to use the lower tiers of ship, like the t7, or Adder.
I have a Cutter and still run a Clipper, two Vipers, and a Krait Phantom. Getting a top-tier ship doesn't necessarily make others obsolete. The Clipper and Krait are both currently outfitted to run cargo. Different roles. What makes the Adder and T7 obsolete is just that they aren't very good ships. The Adder especially just doesn't need to exist. The T7 carries a reasonable amount, but it flies like a barn. Making them more expensive would definitely force people to keep flying them. But it wouldn't make them better ships. You'd just have people mad about flying junk.

Something like NASA's Mars Rover prototype wouldn't look out of place in Elite.
mars-rover-nasa.jpg

Remind a bit the MAKO from MassEffect though.

Interesting, and quite humorous since all the moaning I hear is FROM people who bought Odyssey. :)

Attachments

• Tango_and_cash_RV_from_Hell_1989_04.jpg
    Tango_and_cash_RV_from_Hell_1989_04.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 35
The solution to this is volume based design. If you give the ship hardpoints and then the rest of the ship is built to your specifications, not to Compartments, the validity of the ship becomes a matter of your design philosophy rather than what you are forced into.

I don't understand what this means.

I don't understand what this means.
Take a ship, gut it except for the hardpoints. This is what the shipyard sells.

You have the option to permanently remove the hardpoints if you are not going to use them, but it IS permanent. Hardpoints are the only thing that is unchangeable because they are reinforced to address the stresses of weapons fire.

Now, you build the ship you want to use. If it is a haulage vessel, you build minimum life support, fuel processing and stow, and an engineering plant. The rest becomes cargo hold. Exploration or racing would have larger engineering plants, etc.

The game evaluates whether your ship meets minimum criteria (enough life support, lift, etc) and that is it. Whether it is a Good Design is determined by how well it functions.

You create the ship you want in the hull you choose. If you can't make that ship, you either make changes to the configuration, or buy a different hull.

P.S. This fixes the PFM nature of the Anaconda...

Top Bottom