"Console development continues behind the scenes with an Autumn release still on schedule"

All we would like is bits of news, me personally I had the date Feb 2022 but after all this I'm pushing back to Autumn 2022 . If we get before then then it's a plus but I shouldn't be disappointed if it takes longer . A little news every now and again would be ideal .

I would gladly accept news of no updates on console until we get PC to a certain point.

I also know for console in addition to Odyssey they have to figure out XSX and PS5 changes.

The addition of AMD FidelityFX CAS (contrast adaptive sharpening) in update 5 suggests that FDev is looking at upscaling as a ticket to bring Odyssey to consoles.

Minimum viable product!

The addition of AMD FidelityFX CAS (contrast adaptive sharpening) in update 5 suggests that FDev is looking at upscaling as a ticket to bring Odyssey to consoles.

Minimum viable product!

I dont think that AMD Fidelity FX CAS is supported on XB1 and PS4. They run on GCN2 cores
However, it may be supported on XB1X and PS4 Pro - since they run GCN4-Polaris cores.

I dont think that AMD Fidelity FX CAS is supported on XB1 and PS4. They run on GCN2 cores
Not even, Durango and Liverpool are GCN1-based as I recall, with a few custom implementations of what went on to be standard GCN2 stuff, but sitting with like, a toe into the second generation.

The point of course being that yeah, as you said there's no way they'd handle FSR. The tech in them's ten years old at this point and FSR isn't uspported on anything prior to Polaris GPUs.

Last edited:
I do wonder how far they can take console development without the PC version being in a stable state.

This is from Frontier's own tech page on the Cobra engine - full page is here: LINK

This engine allows the game teams to develop and debug their titles primarily on PC, without the need to concern themselves with the technical details of the individual target platforms unless necessary. It also makes for clean, structured code where the game logic only needs one set of verification at the beta stage of the project, greatly reducing the amount of testing time required for additional platform versions of a game.

It looks like the console version is still heavily dependent on the PC code, but if the PC code is not working.... ¯\(ツ)

I do wonder how far they can take console development without the PC version being in a stable state.

This is from Frontier's own tech page on the Cobra engine - full page is here: LINK

It looks like the console version is still heavily dependent on the PC code, but if the PC code is not working.... ¯\(ツ)

Oh, absolutely, as long as it's a mess on PC, the console versions will inherit any problems.

Yes, if they actually manage to make EDO playable on XB1/PS4 - it will be running really nice on PC

Aside from that, most development studios that are releasing cross-gen are targeting specific improvements and updates to the current-gen version. Frontier aren't doing that at all, they're simply relying on the OEM's backwards compatibility features to ensure that their Flagship DLC can run on current-gen consoles. To me, this conveys a clear message that Frontier are not willing to ensure console owners of Elite / Odyssey have the best experience possible.

81 games and counting on PS5, from all developers great and small.
I assume most MS first party games have free native current gen enhancements, and the third party developer list of games with current-gen enhancements available is also similar.

81 games and counting on PS5, from all developers great and small.
I assume most MS first party games have free native current gen enhancements, and the third party developer list of games with current-gen enhancements available is also similar.

81 on PS5 vs 3200+ for PS4

Obviously, FDev is not looking to be a pioneer of PS5 Gaming...
Instead they will launch another title on PS4

81 on PS5 vs 3200+ for PS4

Obviously, FDev is not looking to be a pioneer of PS5 Gaming...
Instead they will launch another title on PS4

You might want to re-read the post: "most development studios that are releasing cross-gen are targeting specific improvements and updates to the current-gen version"

81 of them so far on PS5 alone. Many also on Xbox SX including most first party Microsoft games.

This 3200 on PS4 - you're saying there are 3200 PS3/PS4 cross-gen games available on the PS4, and that's why FDev are not targeting XBox SX and PS5 for Odyssey? Erm, ok then 👀

You might want to re-read the post: "most development studios that are releasing cross-gen are targeting specific improvements and updates to the current-gen version"

81 of them so far on PS5 alone. Many also on Xbox SX including most first party Microsoft games.

This 3200 on PS4 - you're saying there are 3200 PS3/PS4 cross-gen games available on the PS4, and that's why FDev are not targeting XBox SX and PS5 for Odyssey? Erm, ok then 👀

Well, so you actually realized all those numbers are pointless. :unsure:

What we know for sure is the fact that consoles are not dead for FD. Not the old, not the new.
FD released Planet Coaster Console Edition on both last gen and current gen consoles
And they're releasing JWE2 for the old and new Consoles.

ED time will come, as soon as they get a working version for old gen consoles.

Lets not forget that Kinectimals was one of the few titles that were packed with the Kinect for XB360 when it launched at the end of 2010.
They have quite deep roots in Consoles world.

Well, so you actually realized all those numbers are pointless

I don't agree. These consoles are coming into their third Quarter of availability and record sales. The current-gen console market is increasing at a faster rate than any of the previous generations. The number I've quoted is a measure of the commitment to current-gen from developers that are releasing cross generation games. Add to it the commitment Microsoft are showing to cross-generation improvements.

It means not targeting the current-gen "at launch" is a clear missed opportunity. Even you can't argue with that.

ED time will come, as soon as they get a working version for old gen consoles.

That's baseless conjecture on your part. The official line from Frontier is that they have no plans to develop a current-gen version of Odyssey or Elite Dangerous for PS5 or Xbox Series X/S.

I don't agree. These consoles are coming into their third Quarter of availability and record sales.

You may disagree, but the new consoles are still vastly outnumbered by the old ones.

That's baseless conjecture on your part. The official line from Frontier is that they have no plans to develop a current-gen version of Odyssey or Elite Dangerous for PS5 or Xbox Series X/S.

It's based on the fact they're releasing games that are using the inhouse Cobra engine for the new consoles.
Not having a proper announcement regarding ED on new consoles does not mean it will not happen, eventually.
Pretty much like not having a launch date for EDO on consoles does not mean it will not happen, again eventually. Hopefully before 21st of December, last day of Astronomical Autumn in 2021.

You may disagree, but the new consoles are still vastly outnumbered by the old ones.

However, at the point of Odyssey's launch, and using official sales predictions to estimate, the player-base for current-gen will be close to 50 million. Not insignificant.
It's based on the fact they're releasing games that are using the inhouse Cobra engine for the new consoles.

JWE2 and Planet Coaster use a later version of the Cobra engine. Just an addendum to that statement.

Not having a proper announcement regarding ED on new consoles does not mean it will not happen

It also doesn't mean it is going to happen, does it? All we have to go on is what Frontier tell us, which is that they have no plans.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator

This has never been in dispute. The problem is 'intent'. Clearly 100s of developers are embracing both XS and PS5. Rightly so, they are the future.

Even FDev themselves are with some IPs! Just not with their supposed flagship IP Elite Dangerous.

You personally may have zero interest in current generation console support, that's how it comes across in your posts and that's perfectly fine.

To me it makes literally no sense for FDev not to support the new consoles unless their resources are stretched so thinly they cannot physically assign people to the current generation of consoles on Elite Dangerous.

FDev should be supporting both the older generation and the current generation as best as they possibly can.

Abandoning the current generation to backwards compatibility, no this just makes no sense to me.

Why anyone would argue in favour of not supporting all the consoles properly is also baffling to me.

If people don't want support for current generation, that's absolutely fine. There are many however that do.

I am really concerned that the lack of ANY nod towards the current Gen consoles is worrying.
I know a number of developers who released games recently started with previous Gen versions and then subsequently provided an upgraded version at a later point (Ubisoft, Crystal Dynamics etc) but they at least told their customer base that this was the case (eventually).

Similar from Frontier would be a good olive branch.

The last note of any substance from Frontier regarding consoles was bounced out of them by a gamer website 11 months ago.

Top Bottom