re: Statement on Harassment

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Heya @Arthur Tolmie,

Obviously this is about your recent Statement on harassment post

I want to firstly say I whole heartedly agree with you that personal attacks should not be tolerated and I feel for anyone (Dev or Community member) who's been on the receiving end of one.

From this point forwards, posts that attack, insult, accuse or are deemed harmful towards individual members of staff or teams, will result in a permanent ban

I would like to ask, who does the 'deeming' and are there review processes that can be taken if someone feels they have been unfairly banned?

I know that this is not your intention, but used wrongly these powers could turn feedback into an echo chamber of "this is fine" because members of the community with valid concerns are too scared to come forward lest they be 'deemed'

Sincerely, Ben Moss-Woodward / Cmdr Eid LeWeise

Heya @Arthur Tolmie,

Obviously this is about your recent Statement on harassment post

I want to firstly say I whole heartedly agree with you that personal attacks should not be tolerated and I feel for anyone (Dev or Community member) who's been on the receiving end of one.

I would like to ask, who does the 'deeming' and are there review processes that can be taken if someone feels they have been unfairly banned?

I know that this is not your intention, but used wrongly these powers could turn feedback into an echo chamber of "this is fine" because members of the community with valid concerns are too scared to come forward lest they be 'deemed'

Sincerely, Ben Moss-Woodward / Cmdr Eid LeWeise

Well said!

Edit: hopefully the forums will not turn into a "this is fine" echo chamber

Well said!

Edit: hopefully the forums will not turn into a "this is fine" echo chamber
Huh?

The statement was crystal clear. How is it open to any interpretation? It's got nothing to do with echo chambers and everything to do with restricting those who wish to be abusive and no one needs to concern themselves with it unless they're intending to be abusive towards Fdev staff (and so this shouldn't cause any controversy whatsover because who wants to argue against that???). Pretty clear to me.

I'm sure it wont, but I felt nervous even asking the question, I value my good relationship with Frontier and the CMs but we can't have the forums become a place where people are afraid to ask questions either.
Why?

Why should you be nervous when asking questions? Did the post Arf made today say asking questions would get you banned?

One can frame questions in a manner that is both polite and to the point - without resorting to abusive language towards others.

Yes, although I'd have thought this was pretty much common sense. Seems a little disingenuous to start stating that the post Arf made has anything to do with being "scared for giving feefback". Fdev have a right to work without fear of abuse. Simple as that! Nothing difficult to understand unless you think you wish to be abusive towards them, an act which is entirely possible to control.

Last edited:
I'm sure it wont, but I felt nervous even asking the question, I value my good relationship with Frontier and the CMs but we can't have the forums become a place where people are afraid to ask questions either.
I think it has less to do with what is asked and more to do with how it is asked. I don't think anybody would disagree that a CM's role includes feeding communication from players back to the devs. But if that feedback is 'you're all crap and I hope you get sacked' then really it adds nothing that anybody would actually want to read, or would take the game forward.

It's not a complicated statement, so why make it so?

If you're saying "I don't like this, because [insert complaint here], and I have this solution [insert solution here]", then that's absolutely fine.

But if you say "This is crap, the devs should be fed to crocodiles" then that's not.

Simple.

(Disclaimer, I don't want the devs fed to crocodiles!)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom