Species Field Guide - Stegosaurus

Deleted member 275623

D
We dont even know how a stego looked….only skeletal and maybe that is not even correct 100%. Muscle, flesh no idea it could look completely different than we think. So its pointless discussion

Jens Erik

Senior Community Manager
Frontier
I'm not sure how plates are held there actually, so it could maybe over stretch a ligament or muscle rolling over too much.
According to the sources I could find, the plates are "highly modified osteoderms" (bony-cored scales), similar to the ones we seen in crocodiles and some lizards. They weren't directly attached to the skeleton, but rose up from the skin. Since they have a bone core they're probably not very flexible, but I'm assuming the Stegos of old didn't fully roll onto their backs.

According to the sources I could find, the plates are "highly modified osteoderms" (bony-cored scales), similar to the ones we seen in crocodiles and some lizards. They weren't directly attached to the skeleton, but rose up from the skin. Since they have a bone core they're probably not very flexible, but I'm assuming the Stegos of old didn't fully roll onto their backs.
Maybe they did to get rid of parasites after all crocs do love their barrel rolls

We dont even know how a stego looked….only skeletal and maybe that is not even correct 100%. Muscle, flesh no idea it could look completely different than we think. So its pointless discussion
Then why are you complaining and facepalming.

Good response and scientifically accurate! They were not attached to the skeleton as far as we could tell and appeared to be connected by flesh and muscle. As for that rolling animation, I think its adorable and genuinely hope more dinos have unique animations like that, especially raptors and the rex. I wanna see the rex rub against a tree or roll in the dirt or just lounge around. Raptors should play fight/chase or scheme/test fences. These new behaviors and animations are definitely the right way to go and look really good!

Good response and scientifically accurate! They were not attached to the skeleton as far as we could tell and appeared to be connected by flesh and muscle. As for that rolling animation, I think its adorable and genuinely hope more dinos have unique animations like that, especially raptors and the rex. I wanna see the rex rub against a tree or roll in the dirt or just lounge around. Raptors should play fight/chase or scheme/test fences. These new behaviors and animations are definitely the right way to go and look really good!
Don't give me hope!

Maybe they did to get rid of parasites after all crocs do love their barrel rolls
Crocs do the 'death' roll to tear meat from a carcass and mostly in water. Either way, Stegos rolling on thier sides and partially on thier backs is anatomicly possible and fully plausable. The animation helps to povide some personality to them. Keep up the good work as I'm excited to see more unique and surprising animations.👍

Deleted member 275623

D
Because you know the anatomy of a species that died out over a 100 million years ago.This forum is to much to handle😂😂😂😂😂

Yeah, you can! Just make sure there's enough room for the different types of foliage.
Excellent. Is the Paleobotany mechanic back where they get a longer lifespan and bigger rating when they eat their preferred foods, or was that dropped since you put their preferred food directly on the ground and they'll always have it to eat?

Jens Erik

Senior Community Manager
Frontier
Excellent. Is the Paleobotany mechanic back where they get a longer lifespan and bigger rating when they eat their preferred foods, or was that dropped since you put their preferred food directly on the ground and they'll always have it to eat?
Not having their preferred food will cause your dinosaurs to starve, significantly shortening their lifespans. Or causing them to break out.

Not having their preferred food will cause your dinosaurs to starve, significantly shortening their lifespans. Or causing them to break out.
Interesting, so they don't ever eat what's bad for them? Or is it a case of not getting the nutrition they need from non-preferred plants?

Jens Erik

Senior Community Manager
Frontier
Interesting, so they don't ever eat what's bad for them? Or is it a case of not getting the nutrition they need from non-preferred plants?
I think it's more the latter case. Short version is that they won't be happy if they don't have their preferred food source available to them.

I think it's more the latter case. Short version is that they won't be happy if they don't have their preferred food source available to them.
So it's just about availability?
So if I have a Trike and an Anky in an enclosure and the Trike eats plant X and Anky eats plant Y and both are available in the enclosure, both dinosaurs will be happy?

I haven't played the Claire's Sanctuary DLC but iirc the dinosaurs could be harmed if the wrong paleo feeders were inside the enclosure. This is not the case for JWE2, right?

So it's just about availability?
So if I have a Trike and an Anky in an enclosure and the Trike eats plant X and Anky eats plant Y and both are available in the enclosure, both dinosaurs will be happy?

I haven't played the Claire's Sanctuary DLC but iirc the dinosaurs could be harmed if the wrong paleo feeders were inside the enclosure. This is not the case for JWE2, right?

As for x/y plants, yes, just remember they may not get along so need thier own territories in the enclosure.

No paleo feeders for herbavors in JWE2, you must put prefered plant for that species in enclosure. Not enough info yet about what happens if you mix plant types like in JWE (poisoned dinos), but I suspect that has not changed.

As for x/y plants, yes, just remember they may not get along so need thier own territories in the enclosure.

No paleo feeders for herbavors in JWE2, you must put prefered plant for that species in enclosure. Not enough info yet about what happens if you mix plant types like in JWE (poisoned dinos), but I suspect that has not changed.
Yes I know that there are no paleo feeders anymore, but that isn't the question. The question is: Do dinosaurs get harmed if there are other plants, besides their favourite food source, inside the enclosure?
I hope this isn't the case as this greatly limits the possibilities for mixed habitats.

Top Bottom