Need more time for Odyssey missions

Hello!

I'm speaking from a standpoint of someone who usually does not have a lot of time to play in a single sitting, so always trying to squeeze in that hour of play.

In that hour, I can barely get ANYthing done in Elite. I won't get into the time sinks fans have been moaning about for years, like travel time, though those are a big part of the problem. But Odyssey introduced new ones, like the short time to complete missions and turn them in.

With non-Odyssey missions I'm able to stack at least several missions and have enough time to complete them over several days, saving the time to travel to and fro getting the missions and turning them in.

Odyssey missions have short timeframes, and those include turning the missions in, naturally. This means I can only take one mission at a time, hurry to get to the destination, hurry with the mission execution and hurry back to turn it in. This sadly affects the way I do the missions, too. The hurry I'm in prevents me from using the current stealth system effectively and I do much more mistakes.

Just on a side note, I really like some of the Odyssey missions. I also see (in a non-educated way) how much trouble must have gone into making the AI system allowing stealth etc.. I hope we see more content here and well, more time to do the missions. :D

EDIT: "Odyssey missions" refers to on-foot missions.

My experience is DO NOT stack Missions in Odyssey.

When I'v done this, mainly since update 5, the first can be completed most of the time, the other's seem to bork & have to be abandoned due to bugs.

Though, that then advanced to even single Missions bugging out to.................I'v stopped doing Missions altogether now, until Frontier get them fixed.

When I'v done this, mainly since update 5, the first can be completed most of the time, the other's seem to bork & have to be abandoned due to bugs.

Others have to be abandoned?

I was not talking about same missions that would be completed in a package (like missions from different factions to destroy pirate faction ships etc.), just taking several distinct missions in say same system to save the travel time.

Can this borking happen in such a case, too?

I've never understood why we can't have both un-timed and time sensitive missions in game. Way back we used have much shorter ship based missions, can't really remember how long? An hour or two maybe? It gave a logistical consideration to taking multiple missions I enjoyed.

Obviously this isn't ideal for some players with limited playtime, so they got removed entirely...

Unless I need to bring something back and I am being chased or something: don't ask me to return to hand the mission in at all. Just a message in the inbox saying "thanks, here is the reward". Take a look at CP2077; you can dump any item you need to steal in a local postbox, and collect physical rewards from them.

Would be faster, more convenient and allow for an organic roaming playstyle.

Though, that then advanced to even single Missions bugging out to.................I'v stopped doing Missions altogether now, until Frontier get them fixed.
I usually stack between 3-6 and not noticed it?

Unless I need to bring something back and I am being chased or something: don't ask me to return to hand the mission in at all. Just a message in the inbox saying "thanks, here is the reward". Take a look at CP2077; you can dump any item you need to steal in a local postbox, and collect physical rewards from them.

Would be faster, more convenient and allow for an organic roaming playstyle.

I usually stack between 3-6 and not noticed it?
I'm severely restricted to the Missions that I can do, simply down to my p...poor combat skills. Yeah some say it's easy, but some like me, hate pewpew anyway & simply don't/can't do it.

I was managing to get by on Salvage Missions, until the Crash sites stopped spawning & items weren't in the directed lockers or containers......so I was knackered & had to abandon them, in the end I gave up doing anymore until fixed.

As noted above, unless I’m returning something, no need to return to original point.

It would also allow players to keep moving and visit new places. Do a mission, then just line up the next without travelling back where you were. Makes the stations with long travel times more acceptable, since you only go there once.

As for mission times, it would be nice to be able to designate one mission as having an extended deadline. So you can keep it going if forced to log off. But since it’s one mission, you can’t use it for stacking shenanigans.

As noted above, unless I’m returning something, no need to return to original point.

Agree very much. Ok, I was to collect back boxes - naturally I need to deliver the goods. But if I was to upload a virus into a computer... Why go back? Also, coming back is just an additional risk to both parties.

Seriously Fdev acts like it doesn't take 15+ minutes to get back to a station hundreds of thousands of LS away. Once the mission is done the timer should stop. Anything else is aritificial difficulty, for example having it so that leaving the settlement is a requisite of finishing the mission. Like guys, dude is dead. Everyone's dead. Just let me hop on the AchillesNet and TELL YOU so you can PAY ME.

Edit: just logged in to find I have 3 failed (completed) missions that only failed because I ran out of time to hand them in because I had to turn the game off and do real life stuff. Not awesome. FAILED COMPLETED MISSIONS SHOULD NOT BE A THING.

Last edited:
Try this one neat trick that's solving everyones issues with Odyssey missions ....

... just like with EDH you wouldn't take more missions than you can do before they expire ... do the same in Odyssey - only take the number of missions you can complete before they expire.

HTH (y)

(There is no consensus. Other than than some people seem to have a hard time adapting to change :) )

Try this one neat trick that's solving everyones issues with Odyssey missions ....

... just like with EDH you wouldn't take more missions than you can do before they expire ... do the same in Odyssey - only take the number of missions you can complete before they expire.

HTH (y)

(There is no consensus. Other than than some people seem to have a hard time adapting to change :) )
I used to play 1 hour/day and sometimes that's not enough to finish an EDO mission.
I never had such problems in Horizons.

HTH (y)

EDH missions aren't so short. EDH missions initial timer stops when the mission is complete. You're the first person to disagree, unsurprisingly. (y)

EDH missions aren't so short. EDH missions initial timer stops when the mission is complete. You're the first person to disagree, unsurprisingly. (y)
I don't disagree with allowing the usual EDH time for hand-ins (a week I think?), but I do disagree that you need to be able to stack 20 missions and do them over several days like the OP was asking. Not that that is even possible with most EDH missions ...

Top Bottom