Development Update 1 - June

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
I'm definitely not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs, and I'm no expert. I'm just trying to understand Frontier's stance of:
Appreciate you, OA! No bad vibes taken and I know you and many come with great intent.

Thing is, I COMPLETELY agree with something like this:
1) Plan: Publish dev update on xyz
2) Situation: Something changes (it's game development!!), for one of a million reasons xyz is either not happening, or not happening within a set timeframe.
3) Option A: Dev diary posted!
4) Option B: Dev post discusses the plan for xyz, what went wrong and how that affected things.

As a team we're regularly talking about this kind of staging of events and are really flipping excited for a time we can execute it!
The frustrating side of things is that it's not our intention as a team to...not do it. Nor do we think it's a bad idea.
Infact, reading suggestions like this when we know it's a solid way to do things and then not being able to execute it, is frustrating for us because it makes us look like we have no idea what we're doing (or doing nothing at all/game is "dying", all those quotes).

It's the set of factors "behind the curtain" that people like your super self don't see, which we need to abide by at the moment. We can advise, we do. We're attentive every day and I completely understand that because we can't share that "curtain information", many of you will go "look....why don't you just do X?! It's so easy!!!".

We are...very VERY much excited to be able to turn this current situation out and get into something pristine for you all as soon as we are able. Honestly.
I can't stress that enough. We're like...little grayhounds at the gates, I swear!
There really is so much we can do, more to come and once we get our little green light, my gosh.
We will be soaring (see me doing that popular thing people are doing with manifesting right now, haha).

Grateful to you all for your thoughts and STILL continued support.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Appreciate you, OA! No bad vibes taken and I know you and many come with great intent.

As a team we're regularly talking about this kind of staging of events and are really flipping excited for a time we can execute it!
The frustrating side of things is that it's not our intention as a team to...not do it. Nor do we think it's a bad idea.
Infact, reading suggestions like this when we know it's a solid way to do things and then not being able to execute it, is frustrating for us because it makes us look like we have no idea what we're doing (or doing nothing at all/game is "dying", all those quotes).

It's the set of factors "behind the curtain" that people like your super self don't see, which we need to abide by at the moment. We can advise, we do. We're attentive every day and I completely understand that because we can't share that "curtain information", many of you will go "look....why don't you just do X?! It's so easy!!!".

We are...very VERY much excited to be able to turn this current situation out and get into something pristine for you all as soon as we are able. Honestly.
I can't stress that enough. We're like...little grayhounds at the gates, I swear!
There really is so much we can do, more to come and once we get our little green light, my gosh.
We will be soaring (see me doing that popular thing people are doing with manifesting right now, haha).

Maybe you need write an open letter to the community :D ;)

That's really encouraging to hear and says enough about behind the scenes that I think we can feel for you in your sitution Sally, stay strong, we'll all be on board soon enough by the sounds of it.

Well maybe not all.. but a good portion of us! (edited)

sallymorganmoore

I feel for you and the CM team Sally - It must be really frustrating knowing that the CM team have listened to the community, collated feedback and done your part but silenced with internal politics. Reading your messages this morning I sense that you're bursting at the seams to tell us some exciting news, which you know would appease a lot of the player base but simply can't due to the nature of the business and NDA agreements etc. I feel the community and the CM team want openness with communications and direction of the game and sadly without change beyond the CM team internally we might not get that. I'm a director of a software business and empowering the employees and trusting their decisions is the greatest power you can give.

I haven't posted for a while as I haven't been playing Elite of late, however I do hope these restrictions will be lifted for the CM team soon.

I appreciated you won't be able to comment/reply on what I've discussed here and I potentially face a ban from the forums for speaking my mind but please take care, you're an amazing team and I hope to be joining you all again soon.

Know what, blackice? I WILL reply to this. Darn right I will, because I need to send you my silly thanks for the massive thought here.
I don't blame anyone for some of the assumptions (I don't like the nasty side and the personal ick), the constructive ones are very valid - but until we are in a good position on ALL fronts from all sides of development and appoval, we remain eager little beavers on the team, with a lot of love to give.

Truth still lies that no one is "hiding" anything maliciously from you all, even if it may seem it sometimes.
Many people want this to develop into a perfect scenario based on everything you lot and us could ever wish for with Elite - and it's taking time and a bit of bag shaking.
It'll feel like a lifetime to you all, which is why I'm forever saying how grateful I am to many of you for your input and engagement in the ways you do.

My little flashlight of cheerleading and positivity for the future still flashes, whether you all see it or not some days - but we have things to truly look forward to. A LOT due to the fact many of your have supported us with so much great feedback and thoughts, sharing your true passion with us for Elite.

We may end up making some more mistakes, it happens...I'm ready for those moments too...but I want us to learn and just get meatier as we straighten things out.
I'm excited! Call me crazy haha!

Thanks millions. WE ARE SO READY!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know why but I've got the A-Team stuck in my head. You and the other CMs stuck in a cell of silence and you lot building a tank to break out from the materials you find within the cell. Arf sucking on a fat cigar saying "I love it when a plan comes together" as you all burst out of the cell. All this whist the A-Team theme tune is playing in your heads.

Also, I speak for the community here : Green light is a GO! :ROFLMAO:

sallymorganmoore

I don't know why but I've got the A-Team stuck in my head. You and the other CMs stuck in a cell of silence and you lot building a tank to break out from the materials you find within the cell. Arf sucking on a fat cigar saying "I love it when a plan comes together" as you all burst out of the cell. All this whist the A-Team theme tune is playing in your heads.

Also, I speak for the community here : Green light is a GO! :ROFLMAO:

OMG ARF GENUINELY CALLS US 'THE B TEAM' - HAHAHAHHA! No joke!!!!!

Yeah please don't forget that some of us players are stuck internally between a rock and a hard place, that being "I want to be positive about the game I love.. but I don't want to back off being vocal about what needs changing lest it gets ignored like many issues have been for years"

I personally don't want to be here on the forums complaining, you shouldn't see me when the game is running correctly.. so forgive some of us our anger and schizo comments at times!

How about something about the persons who are responsible for overall game design and production introducing themselves and (re)stating the overall "vision" for the game and where it's suposed to be in, say, one year? There hasn't been one of those since DBOBE was mermerising people with his hands in Kickstarter updates. Development Updates are all fine and dandy, but Production Updates would IMAO be more useful at this point when the game is still idly meandering about with no clear goal in sight. Doesn't matter if things work, it'd be more interesting to know why they're even there.

Thank you for still remaining a part of the Forum community here today though! Despite how you feel, having left and having uninstalled, you're remaining an active speaker and part of the journey of the game without even playing...that's huge! o7
Sally, I try to just make comments which are constructive in some form - well, or entertaining maybe, like a weird cat meme - but I would be dishonest, if I would say, that I still have hope for Elite - not in comparison with it's competitors and that is why I won't come back to Elite, even I still care for what happens to Elite and would rather see Mr. Braben proving me wrong and coming up with something great than to see Elite die a slow and painful death. It wouldn't make me come back though, Elite is not my kind of game, took me just over 700+ hrs to find out, that I rather play a game like NMS instead. I always had a hard time to play ED for more than a few hours, whereas in NMS it is just like in EVE, I have a hard time to logout, because there is always the next exciting or important thing to do - I never had that feeling in Elite at all - so it is definitely not my kind of game.

How about something about the persons who are responsible for overall game design and production introducing themselves and (re)stating the overall "vision" for the game and where it's suposed to be in, say, one year? There hasn't been one of those since DBOBE was mermerising people with his hands in Kickstarter updates. Development Updates are all fine and dandy, but Production Updates would IMAO be more useful at this point when the game is still idly meandering about with no clear goal in sight. Doesn't matter if things work, it'd be more interesting to know why they're even there.
THIS ^^ so much this.. I've called for David to reiterate in videos where this game is going and if he still plans to hold to his promises or if they've changed he should really tell us.

Sally, I try to just make comments which are constructive in some form - well, or entertaining maybe, like a weird cat meme - but I would be dishonest, if I would say, that I still have hope for Elite - not in comparison with it's competitors and that is why I won't come back to Elite, even I still care for what happens to Elite and would rather see Mr. Braben proving me wrong and coming up with something great than to see Elite die a slow and painful death. It wouldn't make me come back though, Elite is not my kind of game, took me just over 700+ hrs to find out, that I rather play a game like NMS instead. I always had a hard time to play ED for more than a few hours, whereas in NMS it is just like in EVE, I have a hard time to logout, because there is always the next exciting or important thing to do - I never had that feeling in Elite at all - so it is definitely not my kind of game.
Then why are you here? I genuinely thought you were here trying to make the game better, but if you're never coming back no matter what they do, what is the point of you being here?

sallymorganmoore

Thanks so, so much for sharing this!!! Really appreciate it :)
Just for my own curiosity - and I mean nothing nasty by this I'm just genuinely intrigued :)
If you have massively awesome and engaging feedback AND an interest in seeing the game progress and not die (it's not dying) but with no intent to ever play again, what do you get from engaging? Is it more the friendships you've made and just enjoying company of old Commander friends?
I understand why people who DO want to play again may not play during these turbulent times, but WILL come back when they feel the time is right for them, but not your unique standpoint.
Like, I want to learn what people like your super selves get from adamantly expressing no wish to ever play again but are active within the community? Maybe there's something valuable for me to learn.

Then why are you here? I genuinely thought you were here trying to make the game better, but if you're never coming back no matter what they do, what is the point of you being here?
Oh I would like the game to be better, but I had to realize, that for me personally it's not the right game, I have more fun in a game like NMS, Subnautica or EVE on the other side. Elite isn't offering what I personally want, but that doesn't mean, that I wouldn't like Elite to succeed and be the best game it could possibly be. That I personally won't play it again doesn't really matter, I still want it to be a good game for those who have fun in Elite. You see, I had to come to the sad conclusion, that I never really had fun in Elite at all, I tried to pretend having fun, because I wanted to love Elite - but the truth is - I very rarely had moments in Elite, which are any near to "having fun" despite me trying to have fun.

Oh I would like the game to be better, but I had to realize, that for me personally it's not the right game, I have more fun in a game like NMS, Subnautica or EVE on the other side. Elite isn't offering what I personally want, but that doesn't mean, that I wouldn't like Elite to succeed and be the best game it could possibly be. That I personally won't play it again doesn't really matter, I still want it to be a good game for those who have fun in Elite. You see, I had to come to the sad conclusion, that I never really had fun in Elite at all, I tried to pretend having fun, because I wanted to love Elite - but the truth is - I very rarely had moments in Elite, which are any near to "having fun" despite me trying to have fun.
All that I can accept and is valid for you ... but it does sort of beg the question why you are here commenting on a game that is clearly not for you and you will not return to, you want it to do well but won't partake if it does. Is it like checking up on an ex on facebook or something?

sallymorganmoore

All that I can accept and is valid for you ... but it does sort of beg the question why you are here commenting on a game that is clearly not for you and you will not return to, you want it to do well but won't partake if it does. Is it like checking up on an ex on facebook or something?

The facebook bit....finshed me for the day :')
We've all done it.

Top Bottom