Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
I'd agree, from my view he's doing Star Citizen some disservice by repeating oft read or heard frilly nonsense rather then concentrating on how the game plays, good and bad. He doesn't show active gameplay or what the people who play SC every day are doing or even talking about. They're SC tourist videos.

I've said it a few times on here, but Kate Byrne's videos are very honest. She shows current gameplay as it is which is why her videos have been well received by SC backers. There's very few fluffy scenic shots or fanboi speak except in context with what she's doing as a player. Everyone I've spoken to amongst the regular players who have seen them give her videos a thumbs up. She's fast becoming my favourite Star Citizen content creator...and I'm not alone in that sentiment considering she's a newbie.

Her main saving grace...for me in particular is that she doesn't seem to be trying to punish her regular ED viewers or have an agenda of belittling FDev by creating content of her gameplay in SC as a fairly well known ED content creator. She's made comparisons between the two games, sure, especially in her first videos as many folk do...but as a fan of both games myself, I really can't fault her approach 🤷‍♂️
While I would agree Katie’s SC videos seem more natural than Blakmaze’s I wouldn’t go as far as saying she is not out to belittle Elite or FDEV. She is actually on record asking for Piers Jackson, Elite’s Game Director, to be fired.

Last edited:
I'd like to hear an example of the sound of footsteps in SC so I can compare.
They are pretty good. You have various sounds of quality for each surface you walk on. The sound is modified also by speed and the atmosphere density for the same surface. You even have echo in caves and when leaving the cave, the switch from echo to non echo is really immersive.
I don't have a specific video about it..

The question that has been looming on my mind about Kate videos is - How much more is there left to show? When she gets to the " I have seen everything in SC " part - than what?
She'll either just do what the rest of us do and keep on doing it along with what else Ci¬G manage to shoehorn in every quarter as well as play all our other games when we're not :)

While I would agree Katie’s SC videos seem more natural than Blakmaze’s I wouldn’t go as far as saying she is not out to belittle Elite or FDEV. She is actually on record asking for Piers Jackson, Elite’s Game Director, to be fired.
She hasn't made that comment on any of her videos though...what she says on forums or elsewhere about Elite or FDev isn't being passed on via her videos to the many of her SC viewers either...she's not being held up as some sort of trophy as championing SC over the dread Elite Dangerous...folk just enjoy her videos ;)

Last edited:
Take all these Youtubers with a massive bucket of salt regardless of what they say. They make money off the content they make, not like they don't have a vested interest. Katie has referral codes for SC on her videos..

Ok, my first hit from right now is not that impressive:
Source: https://youtu.be/ohDKHMxwRvs

Can you show me something better than that?
OA does the occasional SE video - here's a recent one although he doesn't get down on the surface and captured most of it with the atmospheres off:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRzZTRsERf0

This guy hasn't done a vid for a while (so some of the newer surface/weather effects aren't in his vids), but for some curated content he's one of the best I've found for "showcasing":
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UebzzgMgUzw
Edit: As usual and probably due to the music usage I didn't get his latest video even though I'm subbed - this one is also rather wonderful:
Source: https://youtu.be/ZUlFVJtHeTo

Last edited:
Take all these Youtubers with a massive bucket of salt regardless of what they say. They make money off the content they make, not like they don't have a vested interest. Katie has referral codes for SC on her videos..
She's not the only one, I used to give them out like sweeties a few years ago ;)

But only if you are exclusively interested in screenshots from a certain height or from orbit. I have yet to see a really convincing screenshot of SE at surface level. Sometimes it feels like I'm the only one who is primarily interested in the views on ground level... I strongly doubt that this awesomeness would survive my 12000 hours spent in ED.
I can't say if you will play the current alpha a lot but for it's actual 45$ price, you will find hours and hours of really beautiful and varied surface level vistas. You have more variety and beauty on Stanton planets/moons than all planets/moons of ED's galaxy. But ED beats hard SC at the level of stars, black holes and other stellar phenomenon, SC have just one fake circle star atm.
You have exploration at surface level. Some planets have multiple and very different biomes (for instance 6 on Hurston : Acidic, Desert, Trash, Savannah, Strip Mined, Polluted Coast) and on each biomes you'll find marked and unmarked POI. Each planets have some unique biomes and assets. And that's without counting all you will find in the cities.
You have exploration too in caves and some hidden spots.

@[ACTIV DREAMER] Frillop Freyraum

One of the place I love to explore, New Babbage
1626949560749.jpg

if you will play the current alpha a lot but for it's actual 45$ price

My, what an absurd price for an alpha.

Although many ED refugees seem to be opting for the $84 (incl vat) Avenger Titan instead...

You have more variety and beauty on Stanton planets/moons than all planets/moons of ED's galaxy.

Beauty is of course subjective. And I'd agree that SC's planets generally look better, and do more with 'biome' crossover too (providing a varied experience in that sense for sure).

In terms of variety of tones / combinations (and stellar backdrops) etc, EDO most likely has the edge though.

Source: https://imgur.com/a/yQ6R31o

Here's some stuff I've seen on my own travels, and I'm pretty sure SC doesn't have a pastel pink desert planet for a start ;)

And of course, honourable mention, you can't appreciate any of it as a 'dimensional' world in VR in SC, which does add a lot :)

Source: https://i.imgur.com/tU2ogZS.mp4

There's definitely something to be said for scudding your SRV past a mountain, or under a 50ft heat vane, which genuinely seems to tower over you ;)

My, what an absurd price for an alpha.

Although many ED refugees seem to be opting for the $84 (incl vat) Avenger Titan instead...

Beauty is of course subjective. And I'd agree that SC's planets generally look better, and do more with 'biome' crossover too (providing a varied experience in that sense for sure).

In terms of variety of tones / combinations (and stellar backdrops) etc, EDO most likely has the edge though.

Source: https://imgur.com/a/yQ6R31o

Here's some stuff I've seen on my own travels, and I'm pretty sure SC doesn't have a pastel pink desert planet for a start ;)

And of course, honourable mention, you can't appreciate any of it as a 'dimensional' world in VR in SC, which does add a lot :)

Source: https://i.imgur.com/tU2ogZS.mp4

There's definitely something to be said for scudding your SRV past a mountain, or under a 50ft heat vane, which genuinely seems to tower over you ;)

Another space game just sold me a forty dollar alpha.

What's funny is after reading this thread a few years and seeing other space games recently they use two sides of the same coin.

SC tells players it will eventually have everything to keep the dream and hope alive.

The other space game I won't name to be courteous doesn't tell people what the future holds so they cant write it off for not having their make or break feature potentially dropped.

Two different approaches which amounts to the same thing. Keeping as many people hooked as possible without letting anyone down.

The more time goes by the more I see these games and communities have much more in common than I first thought those years ago.

Buy SC so you can alpha test sight seeing.

Or go for a walk in your city and do it for free with less bugs and more NPCs. 🤷‍♀️

Another space game just sold me a forty dollar alpha.

What's funny is after reading this thread a few years and seeing other space games recently they use two sides of the same coin.

SC tells players it will eventually have everything to keep the dream and hope alive.

The other space game I won't name to be courteous doesn't tell people what the future holds so they cant write it off for not having their make or break feature potentially dropped.

Two different approaches which amounts to the same thing. Keeping as many people hooked as possible without letting anyone down.

The more time goes by the more I see these games and communities have much more in common than I first thought those years ago.

On giant carrot dangles I'd agree.

Where they diverge is in the sheer degree of active and perpetual monetisation of those carrots ;). And that does make a differences to me. It's kinda like one big bad act, vs a lot of medium sized repeated ones ;). Over 8+ years that naughtiness does add up.

And you have to give one of them its due. It may have arrived in a total muddle, and taste somewhat stale, but they have at least provided half of the promised salad...

I'm sure the more glorious meal will arrive eventually though, and stop falling through the bowl. Because I watched the hour long dev video on 'leaf greening v4', and I bought the optional $1000 Copa D'Oro 5000, with its own salad mixing facility. That'll doubtless arrive in the post soon. And in the meantime my subscription means I get to test the noodle technology early, and I've got the option on the ebony chopstick holders too. Wait how did I spend $450 on a menu entry again...?

I have been playing Star Citizen for 8 years, i have witnessed the birth of the PU with its one station (Port Olisar) The gas giant Crusader and its 3 moons Daymar, Celin and Yela, none of which you could land on at the time.
Through all the tech being added and the system filling out to what it is today.

Its fascinating watching these Elite Dangerous players experience the Stanton System with their eyes as it is today being new to it all, not just because they are in awe of it all but also because they are realising things that to me have just faded into the ether, for example the way my ship reacts to the atmosphere is muscle memory to me, i automatically react to the way the wind is pushing my ship around, i don't even notice it.

Anyway, in the spirit of that, instead of taking the tram i drove across the frozen lake at New Babbage to get to the Commons last night, i was greeted with a beautiful sunset, so i stopped, got out and watched it set.

5QSX0Ss.jpg

nnoSOuT.jpg

xl77H0z.jpg

On giant carrot dangles I'd agree.

Where they diverge is in the sheer degree of active and perpetual monetisation of those carrots ;). And that does make a differences to me. It's kinda like one big bad act, vs a lot of medium sized repeated ones ;). Over 8+ years that naughtiness does add up.

And you have to give one of them its due. It may have arrived in a total muddle, and taste somewhat stale, but they have at least provided half of the promised salad...

I'm sure the more glorious meal will arrive eventually though, and stop falling through the bowl. Because I watched the hour long dev video on 'leaf greening v4', and I bought the optional $1000 Copa D'Oro 5000, with its own salad mixing facility. That'll doubtless arrive in the post soon. And in the meantime my subscription means I get to test the noodle technology early, and I've got the option on the ebony chopstick holders too. Wait how did I spend $450 on a menu entry again...?

The price of SC ships and people willing to buy them is nothing short of astounding to me. But at the end of the day what I get from it is space gamers are passionate and are desperate for a good game and are willing to support a vessel that can potentially take them there.

I think the state of gaming is sleazy in general these days.

But the point is of my original post is these communities arnt much different. The people on both sides of the arguement...

SC has Joe Blobbers. We have classier more intelligent versions here I won't discuss because rules lol.

But yeah two sides same coin.

Top Bottom