State of the Game

Morning team! Good to see the existential quetions of life are being probed, and thus far Brother Ender's Nietzschian nihilism has not yet awoken from slumber...
baby oil.gif

(stolen from a commercial)

If love is blind. How can it be at first sight?

Translation? Romantics are liars.

The first paradox of love that comes to my mind, is that many people claim to "feel free" when they are in a (fresh) love based relationship.

BUT

Actually ("technically") love is the exact opposite of "freedom".
It literally strips you of being able to make ANY choice that is NOT fitting the linear, narrow path restricted to actions that serve (in your opinion) keeping the loved person close happy enough to stay with you.

It's as much "becoming free" as switching from an off-road vehicle cross country trip to a train on a single track railroad.

Freedom is an illusion in all senses - every human is constrained by the social 'programming' of the society in which they grow up, life experiences, genetics, neural anatomy, and that then overlaid on a persons internal representation of reality which in itself is a pastiche of reality tempered by fallacies and expectations.

Generally when someone says they feel "free" what they mean is "free from angst", and for most people, free from angst equates with being happy with one's position in the world and one's lot in life. Given, as you rightly say, love restricts freedom at the expense of feeling comfort, coupled with a tendency to reduce introspection and increase altruism (which is well linked to a sense of wellbeing), it is not surprising that people when asked define that as "freedom"...

Freedom is an illusion in all senses - every human is constrained by the social 'programming' of the society in which they grow up, life experiences, genetics, neural anatomy, and that then overlaid on a persons internal representation of reality which in itself is a pastiche of reality tempered by fallacies and expectations.

Generally when someone says they feel "free" what they mean is "free from angst", and for most people, free from angst equates with being happy with one's position in the world and one's lot in life. Given, as you rightly say, love restricts freedom at the expense of feeling comfort, coupled with a tendency to reduce introspection and increase altruism (which is well linked to a sense of wellbeing), it is not surprising that people when asked define that as "freedom"...
(Almost) exactly my point.

Circumstances when feel free (so, being "in" freedom) are not "in sync" with our descriptive answer to question "how do you understand freedom (in general)".

Those are usually two totally different things.

Do you consider getting stuck on this "nice bank" fitting the idea of freedom?

(I am not asking how does it feel to be there).
I didn't have the freedom to get here any other way, so the alternative wasn't meaningful freedom. I am free to get off and return to the offroad if it doesn't suit (and I am absolutely sure here, because I have done it and remained on good terms with the.. err, train drivers on other lines?). I have lost no freedoms, I just actually like the choices I made and the people I made them with. Saying love is a loss of freedom is like saying you lose freedom by doing a job that fulfils you. The only loss of freedom is the loss of choice. You're not trapped because you didn't throw away the positive consequences of your free choices.

I didn't have the freedom to get here any other way, so the alternative wasn't meaningful freedom. I am free to get off and return to the offroad if it doesn't suit (and I am absolutely sure here, because I have done it and remained on good terms with the.. err, train drivers on other lines?). I have lost no freedoms, I just actually like the choices I made and the people I made them with. Saying love is a loss of freedom is like saying you lose freedom by doing a job that fulfils you. The only loss of freedom is the loss of choice. You're not trapped because you didn't throw away the positive consequences of your free choices.

Well, I understand freedom more general, as an idea not restrained/defined by personal feelings, expectations and rationalising of (already made) choices.

Anything that restricts my freedom of doing ANYTHING that comes to my mind in any following moment of my life is COUNTERING freedom, so it can not be part of it.

Those "freedom interferences" can be both forced by internal processes, or external pressure/environment.

It's a simple as that, but as it ruins the feeling of "safety" we mix with how we FEEL about freedom, so it's not very popular idea/approach.

PS. some "personal" context : I was in "official" relationships for like 90% of my adult life, so it's not like I try to rationalise my problems with building relationships/getting attached emotionally.
I just try to see things from "inside" and "outside" of my personal, emotional filters simultaneously, even if it results in not too convenient conclusions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom