State of the Game

Oh, so THAT'S the power of suggestion. "all it takes..."

If only that were true; then Elite Dangerous would be the game that "everybody" wants it to be. ;)
Only if those players wished to fly / walk / die alongside another player or two...
With us being on opposite sides of the pond, timing is a little more 'difficult' then being in the same part of the world ;)

ETA: ED 'could' be the game 'everybody' wants it to be, all it takes is a willingness to play it - and to play the version best suited to the playmates: Misha can't play Odyssey currently, so rather than exclude a squadron mate I'm very happy to play on the version both of us can enjoy.
Really that is all it takes - a little willingness to make a small effort to get along!

Last edited:
Well, I understand freedom more general, as an idea not restrained/defined by personal feelings, expectations and rationalising of (already made) choices.

Anything that restricts my freedom of doing ANYTHING that comes to my mind in any following moment of my life is COUNTERING freedom, so it can not be part of it.

Those "freedom interferences" can be both forced by internal processes, or external pressure/environment.

It's a simple as that, but as it ruins the feeling of "safety" we mix with how we FEEL about freedom, so it's not very popular idea/approach.
The only freedom we ever really have is the freedom to choose our own behavior/mind set. Its just that sometimes the number of choices are limited, and each have some undesirable side-effect making it seem like we have no choices. But we always do, unless we're dead or otherwise incapacitated.

EDIT: added "otherwise incapacitated"

Last edited:
The only freedom we ever really have is the freedom to choose our own behavior/mind set. Its just that sometimes the number of choices are limited, and each have some undesirable side-effect making it seem like we have no choices. But we always do, unless we're dead.
Well, there is the next paradox - choices vs freedom.

Problem with choices is usually not the path we eventually decide to follow,
it's realising that we are gonna miss the other, unchosen possibility that COULD HAVE led to better outcome and make us more happy.

We all know this on some level even if we never realised this directly, this is why choices are the curse of our life for most of the people - because they force us to deprive ourselves from "potential happiness" thousands, millions of times before we finally rest in peace.

And this is absolutely incompatible with our "emotional layer".
Because deep inside everyone has a soul that screams:

Source: https://youtu.be/Je6y_xHnoT4

So, this is why we tend to FEEL free when we actually are on a RESTRICTED, linear path, when we don't get to and do't have to choose a lot.
Like when we are in love with someone that seems to love us back.

Anything that restricts my freedom of doing ANYTHING that comes to my mind in any following moment
Then, as what comes to mind is frequently interacting with my family, taking them stories I have found, playing games, staying in your off-roader would have, by definition, restricted my freedoms too, because the opportunities to do these things would be lost. Honestly, if you define freedom so broadly you can fit anything into the increasingly large rubber bag marked "restricts my freedom", and I think you reach what a mathematician would call the trivial solution.
as it ruins the feeling of "safety" we mix with how we FEEL about freedom
Going by your definition here my freedoms are both restricted by looking before crossing the road (because for some reason safety has to be excluded from freedom) and by being hit by a truck, because it will leave me unable to pursue other things that come to mind. Words are tools, and abstract words tend toward semantic drift depended on the cultural context of the speaker, but I this version of freedom seems too semantically light to have much use.

I did a few relogs in Update 5 to get some Weapon Schematics from Irregular Markers.

Relogging at POIs doesn't work anymore. Tried on Impact Sites, Irregular Markers, etc... Don't know if it works via SC but just relog is dead.

Thanks Frontier... thanks.

Going by your definition here my freedoms are both restricted by looking before crossing the road (because for some reason safety has to be excluded from freedom) and by being hit by a truck, because it will leave me unable to pursue other things that come to mind. Words are tools, and abstract words tend toward semantic drift depended on the cultural context of the speaker, but I this version of freedom seems too semantically light to have much use.
Of course, because freedom doesn't exist.
It can't exist in this reality, you'd have to be a god in a solipsistic world.

I did a few relogs in Update 5 to get some Weapon Schematics from Irregular Markers.

Relogging at POIs doesn't work anymore. Tried on Impact Sites, Irregular Markers, etc... Don't know if it works via SC but just relog is dead.

Thanks Frontier... thanks.
Try blue, mission POIs.

Of course, because freedom doesn't exist.
It can't exist in this reality, you'd have to be a god in a solipsistic world.
Or we can use the word differently and retain its ability to mean something. To avoid being Socratic (i.e., to avoid acting like nit-picking other people's positions is a whole, legitimate school of thought) I think a good definition accepts that all freedom is relative, and that in increase in freedom means an increase in opportunities to choose something that will enrich and make better your experience of life. If a multitude of choices were all unpleasant it certainly wouldn't seem like a good candidate for a free situation. This means that incarceration is less free than (ho ho) freedom, that laws can exist to balance, rather than just to curtail freedoms, and that there is space to discuss autocracy and tyranny sensibly as being generally less free than, say, total democracy, as well as the denial of opportunity through poverty being a meaningful denial of freedom.

Also, everyone should read Ursula LeGuin's The Dispossessed (but you're free not to!).

Or we can use the word differently and retain its ability to mean something. To avoid being Socratic (i.e., to avoid acting like nit-picking other people's positions is a whole, legitimate school of thought) I think a good definition accepts that all freedom is relative, and that in increase in freedom means an increase in opportunities to choose something that will enrich and make better your experience of life. If a multitude of choices were all unpleasant it certainly wouldn't seem like a good candidate for a free situation. This means that incarceration is less free than (ho ho) freedom, that laws can exist to balance, rather than just to curtail freedoms, and that there is space to discuss autocracy and tyranny sensibly as being generally less free than, say, total democracy, as well as the denial of opportunity through poverty being a meaningful denial of freedom.

Also, everyone should read Ursula LeGuin's The Dispossessed (but you're free not to!).
Thank's but I have never read a single philosophical book or in my life and I purposely restrain myself from this.
Nor summaries of philosophical models/theories, with exception of definitions of some terms.

Still, in my 20s, when I was "partying" a lot what brought me to many hours of pointless blubbering on after-partys I was "inventing/improvising" some pretty sophisticated models/ideas describing reality, that after sharing them with someone from "humanistic" background turned out to be another already created model, that made some guy famous at some point.

Really, philosophy is so overrated, if an intoxicated guy can expel content that others DENY to accept as his own, because they are one of philosophy classics.'

EDIT: well, LeGuin is more into anthropology, sociology and psychology then philosophy, so I can actually follow your advice, thanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom