What does 'interact with data link' actually mean?

I picked up a mission entitled 'Infiltrate the Data Link datalink' which requires you to go a ship (one of those hauler class ones etc) and then 'find and interact with the Data Link datalink'.
I found the ship - found a data link and scanned it with the data link scanner. Then .... nothing. There was nothing to show the mission was achieved, there seemed to be no other datalink and nothing to infiltrate. It's not a ship you can dock in .... so what exactly are you supposed to do?

(10 hours later, this mission was no longer in my transaction list).

View attachment 228396
i done a few you first get the data linked scan twice. And then find the ship uplink comm/data/log and scan that. it will appear in the contacts pages once you get near the mega ship.i think it within 100 ms (but keep your eyes open for ships getting close to you on the radar.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean, but the scan was definitely completed (I do this kind of thing often ;)). There was just no confirmation of mission completion displayed. Even though the mission must have been successful "somehow".
I was referring to the posts implying that not being able to scan the beacons due to distance is a bug. It isn't. I don't think that is your issue, though. If you scanned it, you were close enough...

Thanks for this thread. After several attempts I found this thread and got it to work.

Mission: Infiltrate the Data Link Data Link

1. Accept only one mission. Do NOT accept multiple of the same missions.
2. Approach megaship
3. Deploy Hardponits
4. Target Megaship. Scan megaship. Get message that its scanned.
5. Go find the mega ships's "Ship Log Uplink". Target it
6. Get under 100 meters, then scan it. You get mission complete message.
7. Leave and return to cash in mission.

• You can scan the megaship at any distance and it works.
  • It lets you scan the "Ship Log Uplink" from a big distance but you won't get mission complete. Gotta be under 100m.
  • You can accept multiple missions to the exact same location (?) but it lets you complete only one mission.
  • Supercruising out of the instance and coming back in does not let you complete a 2nd identical mission.
  • Completing the mission, logging out/in and trying another mission to the same megaship doesn't work. When trying to scan the Uplink it says "Uplink Log Already Accessed". You will have to abandon the 2nd mission.

Ship Log Uplink.jpg

Last edited:
Those bugged 'infiltrate/scan the data link data link' titles are so funny to me. Less funny that these were broken in the alpha and still not fixed. Blame me, guys, I thought it was so obvious that it needed no ticket...

Those bugged 'infiltrate/scan the data link data link' titles are so funny to me. Less funny that these were broken in the alpha and still not fixed. Blame me, guys, I thought it was so obvious that it needed no ticket...
Here's the ticket for the issue (and other issues associated with that mission type):

Upvote it to fix it!

I tried one of those and while navigating to get the link, one of the Pirate Attack ring events started, and being within the defensive perimeter of the mega ship, I quickly became unwelcome and split.

Thanks for this thread. After several attempts I found this thread and got it to work.

Mission: Infiltrate the Data Link Data Link

1. Accept only one mission. Do NOT accept multiple of the same missions.
2. Approach megaship
3. Deploy Hardponits
4. Target Megaship. Scan megaship. Get message that its scanned.
5. Go find the mega ships's "Ship Log Uplink". Target it
6. Get under 100 meters, then scan it. You get mission complete message.
7. Leave and return to cash in mission.

• You can scan the megaship at any distance and it works.
  • It lets you scan the "Ship Log Uplink" from a big distance but you won't get mission complete. Gotta be under 100m.
  • You can accept multiple missions to the exact same location (?) but it lets you complete only one mission.
  • Supercruising out of the instance and coming back in does not let you complete a 2nd identical mission.
  • Completing the mission, logging out/in and trying another mission to the same megaship doesn't work. When trying to scan the Uplink it says "Uplink Log Already Accessed". You will have to abandon the 2nd mission.

View attachment 249944
Thank you. The silliest thing that took me a long time to realise was that I didn't deploy the hard points before the data scanner will work.

These missions are bugged, don't take them. The thing you have to scan is the log uplink, which the mission does not make clear.

Sometimes the megaship isn't there (yes, I've exhausively searched the system - I'm aware they don't show until you're close enough). Sometimes the wrong mission completes. Sometimes the mission doesn't complete at all.

i think these missions are for horizons only. i had a one in ED:eek:dyssey and the megaship wasn't visible. Until i scanned the system in ED:horizons then it appeared in odyssey.

but i try another in ED:O see if it wasn't me that buggered up :)

If you take more than one of these at the same time, scanning one ship will often complete a totally different data link scan mission. (This was 2-3 updates ago - I haven't tried it since.)

Last time I tried these I got the uplink info.
Went back to the station and there was a second mission to the same megaship. So thought this will be easy money......

Got to the megaship second time around and was told I had already scanned it! Failed mission.
Haven't done them since.

I've done 4 of these datalink missions over the last two days and the first 2 worked fine but the last 2 have not worked and they were both on Sanchez class ships. In one mission, the ship wasn't added to my contacts after scanning the nav beacon, so I couldn't find it. On the other mission, I got to the ship and scanned everything I could find but no mission completion and I had to abandon it and lose rep.. I am really enjoying Odyssey after a long break from Elite but I do wish these missions were reliable!

Top Bottom