PvP CQC CQC is an Absolute Pain

Not really true. Unlike most of the veterans that specialize in one type of ship and loadout I'm competitive in many different combinations.
Choice of ship and loadout depends on who I face and what ships they use.. and I can switch to a different loadout with no problem whenever the situation in the arena changes.
Other players don't seem to have that flexibility.

Are you denying the fact that Silent Running is easily the most OP utility you can have? :p

I don't begrudge you using it, it's there to be used. But I do think it should probably be removed from CQC as a whole.

Are you denying the fact that Silent Running is easily the most OP utility you can have? :p

I don't begrudge you using it, it's there to be used. But I do think it should probably be removed from CQC as a whole.

Silent running is only OP if your opponents cannot aim.
Many players specialize in silent running but only a few of them are competitive.

Like here in example. Blastard - CQC number ONE on INARA. He flies silent running excusively.. yet when facing opponents that can fight silent runners...

ded.png

If you fight noobs SR or no SR doesn't matter.. they don't stand a chance anyway - they don't know the maps, they don't use PUs, they don't manage their pips correctly.

I think both SR and chaff have their pros and cons.

I disagree that you don't learn when you face better opponents. Quite the opposite! When I started playing CQC this mode was already 2 years old and regular CQC Elite players were playing it. I was farmed relentlesly at the beginning, but I watched them what they were doing and tried to copy them. I spent some time to learn the maps and eventually I started to win matches and farm other players too. It's like that with any PvP game.

Last edited:
Silent running is only OP if your opponents cannot aim.
Many players specialize in silent running but only a few of them are competitive.

Like here in example. Blastard - CQC number ONE on INARA. He flies silent running excusively.. yet when facing opponents that can fight silent runners...

View attachment 259881

If you fight noobs SR or no SR doesn't matter.. they don't stand a chance anyway - they don't know the maps, they don't use PUs, they don't manage their pips correctly.

I think both SR and chaff have their pros and cons.

I disagree that you don't learn when you face better opponents. Quite the opposite! When I started playing CQC this mode was already 2 years old and regular CQC Elite players were playing it. I was farmed relentlesly at the beginning, but I watched them what they were doing and tried to copy them. I spent some time to learn the maps and eventually I started to win matches and farm other players too. It's like that with any PvP game.
I'm not sure if you realize, but you've actually argued against Silent Running. That guy is clearly nowhere near as good as you, and yet by using Silent Running, he is able to be the top player.

If a single ability allows a mediocre player to become top-tier, that utility is clearly overpowered.

He may be top in the ranking due to high number of kills, but it doesn't make him top-tier player.
As a matter of fact he's got more deaths than kills.

I don't say silent running is bad. It's good, and it is likely to be more challenging for noobs to kill silent runner than chaff user. But I wouldn't call it OP, especially when used in matches against competent players.

If there is anything in CQC close to being OP that would be an Eagle with powerful weapons and heat sink spam. That combo is the biggest noob stomper by far.

He may be top in the ranking due to high number of kills, but it doesn't make him top-tier player.
As a matter of fact he's got more deaths than kills.

I don't say silent running is bad. It's good, and it is likely to be more challenging for noobs to kill silent runner than chaff user. But I wouldn't call it OP, especially when used in matches against competent players.

If there is anything in CQC close to being OP that would be an Eagle with powerful weapons and heat sink spam. That combo is the biggest noob stomper by far.
That may be true at the highest level of skill, but anywhere lower than that, Silent Running is blatantly, hilariously op. I'm not a particularly awesome player; I've killed you a few times, and can generally win most matches by a reasonable margin, but at no point have I felt more overwhelmingly overpowered then when I take Silent Running; I'm able to go from dying a couple times and having reasonably Fair fights, to dying no times and having utterly unfair curb-stomps.

Silent Running is only anywhere near fair when playing against highly skilled players on mouse and keyboard; against console players, players using a hotas, and anyone below the highest levels of skill, it's just broken.

And balancing exclusively around the highest skilled players is a bad way to build a game.

Silent Running is only anywhere near fair when playing against highly skilled players on mouse and keyboard; against console players, players using a hotas, and anyone below the highest levels of skill, it's just broken.

I use HOTAS you know. I used dual stick for a period of time too.
The best CQC players I've ever met used either HOTAS or dual stick.

Sure there are some cqc elite players that use keyboard + mouse and there is even one that uses keyboard only!!!

Nothing can beat mouse precision, but it's been accepted that in cqc there is no setup that clearly shows to be superior over the other. I think there is even one cqc elite player (commie) who uses console controller on PC while playing cqc, and he's quite successful with it.

I use HOTAS you know. I used dual stick for a period of time too.
The best CQC players I've ever met used either HOTAS or dual stick.

Sure there are some cqc elite players that use keyboard + mouse and there is even one that uses keyboard only!!!

Nothing can beat mouse precision, but it's been accepted that in cqc there is no setup that clearly shows to be superior over the other. I think there is even one cqc elite player (commie) who uses console controller on PC while playing cqc, and he's quite successful with it.

Regardless, my point about lower-skill players stands. You can't have something that's overpowered at any skill level, or it breaks the game. Sometimes something needs to be useless at one skill level to be balanced at another. Unfortunately, there's little in the way of paths to nerf silent running, so it seems best to just remove it.

I love when there is a mix of silent runners, chaff users, heat sink spammers in the game. It adds the variety and makes the game more interesting. If everybody was flying the same ship with same abilities the game wouldn't me as much fun as it is now.

It's the players who win the matches, not ships.. in my opinion the ships and loadous are relatively balanced (especially compared to the main game) and nothing needs nerfing. So I disagree with you on silent running here.

I love when there is a mix of silent runners, chaff users, heat sink spammers in the game. It adds the variety and makes the game more interesting. If everybody was flying the same ship with same abilities the game wouldn't me as much fun as it is now.

It's the players who win the matches, not ships.. in my opinion the ships and loadous are relatively balanced (especially compared to the main game) and nothing needs nerfing. So I disagree with you on silent running here.

As a top-tier player, you have that luxury. But there's a very good reason why the mode is dead, and much of it comes from mediocre players getting access to overpowered stuff like silent running and crushing all the noobs until they give up and quit.

If you want the game to ever become more than a graveyard of broken dreams, I suggest you adjust your attitude and try to think beyond purely your own enjoyment.

As a top-tier player, you have that luxury. But there's a very good reason why the mode is dead, and much of it comes from mediocre players getting access to overpowered stuff like silent running and crushing all the noobs until they give up and quit.

If you want the game to ever become more than a graveyard of broken dreams, I suggest you adjust your attitude and try to think beyond purely your own enjoyment.

I think the mode being dead has very little to do with that.

There are many reasons, most more impactful than that.

I think the mode being dead has very little to do with that.

There are many reasons, most more impactful than that.

Oh yes, there are definitely lots of reasons. The number one reason is probably the fact that it's dead. Kinda self-sustaining, that one.

But high on the list is players getting crushed as noobs and quitting immediately. I've seen it happen many times. When I play with noobs, I intentionally gimp my loadout to give them a better chance, and every time I've done this, the other players stick around far longer. By contrast, if I use silent running and curb-stomp them, they almost always quit in short order.

I've killed you a few times, and can generally win most matches by a reasonable margin, but at no point have I felt more overwhelmingly overpowered then when I take Silent Running; I'm able to go from dying a couple times and having reasonably Fair fights, to dying no times and having utterly unfair curb-stomps.

What's your in-game name? I don't recognize your Forum name. I don't think I've ever met anyone with that name in the Arena.

I agree with both of you on some of your points. Not being very good or being a noob, when I started CQC I didn't enjoy getting Donald ever time I met Musky or any of the other vets. I've made Prestige level 1 only through length of time really just for the Permit Unlock & to see all the available upgrades. When I get to level 50 again I don't think I'll Prestige again. On the Power Ups, everyone has an opinion and no one can be wrong here. I'm sure few will agree on mine for sure. I go out of my way if possible not to use them. If it's in DM and there are noobs around I definitely won't. In TDM I might take a shield or weapon boost if it appears in front of me but not always. While in DM and I end up just against the likes of Musky or Gibo and they start looping I play until the end of the session but won't even fire back on them. My way of saying let's try to enjoy it...together?

IF the matches are sort of balanced, people have time to learn
But when they get killed without ever seeing their assailant... it's a bit harder to learn something.

If only CQC would have a train mode - where you can practice against NPC and get to learn the maps.
If only.

It's possible to beat silent running without excellent aim - you just have to handle it a bit differently.

Every time they silent run for any extended length of time, they're damaging their own ship. So stay at a reasonable distance - you've got shields and chaff - where you're both suffering weapon damage drop-off, where it's easier to get a lock because the relative motion is lower, and wait them out. At some point they'll have to drop silent running or explode anyway.

I always found the heat beams useful for this:
- they have a 20% range advantage over pulse lasers, but are far too hot to use on a silent running ship
- the beam is easier to lead onto target a little rather than dropping one pulse hit too far left and one too far right
- in theory it also heats them up faster but that's really marginal
- they're not bad weapons versus a standard chaff build either, you just need to manage your pips a bit more
- they don't need particularly high rank

Why would you ever run in silent running for any length of time?

In the main game, silent running is weak because it disables your shields for the entire fight and beyond, but in CQC you can silent run, kill the attacker, kill someone else while running to a shield booster, then grab the booster and be back at 200% shields instantly.

Why would you ever run in silent running for any length of time?

In the main game, silent running is weak because it disables your shields for the entire fight and beyond, but in CQC you can silent run, kill the attacker, kill someone else while running to a shield booster, then grab the booster and be back at 200% shields instantly.

You must be the best silent runner ever then. We still don't know your in-game name.

Top Bottom