Development Update 3 - August

This is good to see, but a couple things seem a bit irksome.
You've always paid attention to the community, thats not my issue here. But it's the wording to suggest that you're doing this and other updates because some commanders complain is just ludicrous.
To suggest the only reason you're making changed to lighting is to make them in line with some Commanders expectations is meaning to suggest you, at Frontier, were happy with how lighting/the rest of Odyssey was, at launch. And, as extension, that you've only been doing updates for us. Hold up here. The reason you're doing these updates is because your numbers are low. That's it. Don't try and pass this off as you're doing this because of our requests. The reason you're paying attention to our requests may be attributed to the fact whatever you released clearly was not something that increased the player base, as it should have, so now you are needing assistance, with the hope and goal of getting back on track, but don't suggest anything other than you're out of touch.

You've gone through items before, and said they'd be crossed off the list as done. What galaxy are you all in? The one I'm in has proven that while maybe an item or 2 gets solved, others become worse or raise more issues. Please dont raise anyones expectations here to suggest, after loading update 7, that lighting, or anything on this list, with be 'completed'. You're just begging for the 5 minutes after posts of "this isn't fixed". Make an abbreviation... "As far as we know, it's done" AFEWKID. Something like that, but dont mislead folks. And, really, how can you? It may work fine on your systems there, but if nothing else, we know things are not working the same on different setups, etc.

I want to know why you cant make different concourse areas, different asteroid stations, etc. It's nice you can change the railings, or colours. But why cant we have different layouts/models there? To me, things that are copied in such a way, just seem like placeholders and that one day they'll be changed to how it is intended to be. For example, the screens in cockpits are a single jpeg, no movement. That seems like a placeholder since, in reality, maybe the graph being depicted would change. But what I want to hear is whether that, and station concourses, etc, are indeed placeholders, and will change or they wont. But more importantly, if they wont change, I want to hear why they wont. Is it that the models are deeply woven in the code? Is it that the servers will blow up? Why, in a galaxy with more than 400 billion systems, can we only have 1 concourse? What the actual f is the reason we can only have copy/pasted stuff? Can anyone tell me that? Is it some gaming thing, where you can only have 8 assets? If so, I want to hear it, so I know not to expect a second concourse, ever.
There already is a second concourse...

does megaship social spaces also mean that carriers will finally get their well deserved social spaces?
I kind of doubt it but I will also voice my desire to have this, it would add a whole new level of immersion to having a carrier to be able to jump around the galaxy from the bridge.

My guess is they would never want carriers to be full blown stations, but it would be so sweet to be able to buy carrier services like Apex shuttles, Pioneer stores.

Great update though, things are moving in a positive direction I think.

The thing is the changes suggested for the concourses, while good to have, suggest there wont ever be new or different concourses. I want to know why. Do they need a new model? How many here can make them some models? A lot, I'd think, and for free. So what is the actual reason? If it's a reason that makes sense i.e. the amount the game has to handle already is at maximum, I'd be fine with and I'd never expect more and that's sort of what I'd guess is the issue. But it's something that would be good to hear, officially. It would explain only having on SRV for so long, etc.

starfield-artworks-8.jpg

AU REVOIR ÉLITE DANGEREUX

MOUHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

The thing is the changes suggested for the concourses, while good to have, suggest there wont ever be new or different concourses. I want to know why. Do they need a new model? How many here can make them some models? A lot, I'd think, and for free. So what is the actual reason? If it's a reason that makes sense i.e. the amount the game has to handle already is at maximum, I'd be fine with and I'd never expect more and that's sort of what I'd guess is the issue. But it's something that would be good to hear, officially. It would explain only having on SRV for so long, etc.
It takes time to make, and those folks are doing other things. That's it.

One issue I noticed the other day, is that a commander (or commanders) parked in your instance of a station and off on foot to the concourse dont seem to appear in the concourse when you go there.
Would be fun seeing a queue at the suits/weapons guy and deciding "naw I'll goto the bar and chill out there while those doofuses get their suits/weaps sorted"

Bill

And how about a choice of destinations in the stations.... those lifts from the docking bay could take you anywhere...... also the cops waiting for you there and going "You're nicked sonny" when you are caught smuggling stuff

We should be able to pop up a window on which we can play the original Elite while we're waiting!

Doesn't telepresence/multicrew with another cmdr work during the taxi flight? Join in some combat, earn some credits.

It's not like we're kicked out of the taxi on arrival.

Thats a picture of Space Skyrim. If you think that is a 'ED-killer' I have some bad news for you...
A lot of people will go on it though:
EVERYTHING the vast majority of the community asks will be in Starfield.
Interior of ships
Station interiors
Cities and communities
Identities specific to each place
Scripted missions (it's so cool the Odyssey tutorial mission that I often hear)
Quality fps (modify weapons etc)
Real choices about the world
etc., etc...

does megaship social spaces also mean that carriers will finally get their well deserved social spaces?
I don't think it will come in this update, otherwise they would have specified Fleet Carriers. Bringing the social spaces to Megaships is a good start though and I can imagine it being expanded to Fleet Carriers in the future.

New concourses might come with time in the same way they reworked a few of the Ocellus starport over the years.

Right now Frontier doesn't owe you an explanation why they've done what they've done or not done in this case.

A lot of people will go on it though:
EVERYTHING the vast majority of the community asks will be in Starfield.
Interior of ships
Station interiors
Cities and communities
Identities specific to each place
Scripted missions (it's so cool the Odyssey tutorial mission that I often hear)
Quality fps (modify weapons etc)
Real choices about the world
etc., etc...

@Red Anders What was that a day?

This looks great!

Humble suggestion for the new CZ anti-air stuff: keep it balanced in terms of small/large ships. There should be a reason to bring both big ships and small ships to a ground fight: maybe the turrets have a harder time landing hits on smaller ones.

SLFs, in particular, would be great as "ground turrets can't really track them, but they're vulnerable to small arms fire".

It takes time to make, and those folks are doing other things. That's it.
Its a good thing we have time :) Ultimately, I enjoy what they come up with. Watching the SRV from the side, seeing the suspension, etc, is so great. If time is it, I'd be fine with that. But what if it's impossible, as a server load thing? Would be nice to know officially. Or do you mean that is as good as official? Ok.

Are you meaning the planetary ones, or the outpost ones? Good point. Why do we only have 1 layout for each of those, too? Here's an idea. How about 5 or 6, for each?
It's a horrendously glorified and inefficient menu system at the moment. The least they can do is have few enough variations I don't have to hunt around for a minute to find where they've put Pioneer Supplies this time. Once they've given us access to all Odyssey services from our ship, then they can implement a different procedurally generated concourse layout at every station, sure. At the moment massive layout variation would be like the starport menu being in a random order at each station, for me.

Thats a picture of Space Skyrim. If you think that is a 'ED-killer' I have some bad news for you...
Odyssey is kind-of Space Daggerfall, only without the properly large and maze-like dungeons below the base surface.

Its a good thing we have time :) Ultimately, I enjoy what they come up with. Watching the SRV from the side, seeing the suspension, etc, is so great. If time is it, I'd be fine with that. But what if it's impossible, as a server load thing? Would be nice to know officially. Or do you mean that is as good as official? Ok.
I can 100% promise you a second srv type is technically possible. Mind you, I am saying they haven't done it so far is because they chose to add other things instead. That doesn't mean they will add it later, it just means it's technically possible.

But I can also promise you they won't add everything they can theoretically add. We will just have to wait and see.

Top Bottom