Feature Focus: Challenge and Sandbox Mode

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts and opinions about Sandbox and Challenge Mode. To clarify: You can unlock dinosaurs and park features for Sandbox Mode by researching them in any mode. For example, if you research the Brachiosaurus in any level, the Brachiosaurus will immediately be available to bio-engineer in a Hatchery in Sandbox Mode.

As we mentioned in the article above, you'll have access to different ways to tweak Sandbox Mode to your liking, and we'll have more to share about all the settings at a later date.

For Challenge Mode, you can choose your difficulty and jump straight to Jurassic Difficulty if you so choose. We're leaving the unlocks up to you to discover, however!

The Conditions and what you have available to achieve are different from level to level in Challenge Mode, but Challenge Mode doesn't use completely different maps to the campaign.

And we'll have more to share about it in the future!

Will sandbox mode have a weather cycle that moves between weather types based on the biome the map being played is in? JWE 1 sandbox had no weather cycle sadly. It was always just one type or none.

@stefffff I’m sorry but I have to agree. I’m playing the first game as we speak and I’m trying to unlock everything for the Nintendo switch version. I can’t help but think the whole time I’m playing this is totally unnecessary for just wanting to play a sandbox mode. Would not be interested in doing it again for the sequel.

Last edited:
I like hearing that there will be maps for the main campaign/story and the Chaos Theory mode. That means we should have a lot of interesting maps to use. At least I hope they are interesting. From what I have read and seen they should be.

Chaos Theory is said to have what if scenarios from all movies in the franchise. So does that mean we will get maps that are based on the islands from the previous movies? I believe that would be the case. I would like to hear more about that eventually. I really liked the whole idea of building parks on the five islands from the movies. But some of them were kind of small. I know that was part of the challenge. But some of them were pretty good, like the Isla Nublar map we could unlock and the map we got in the RTJP DLC. Size was the only issue. Even the Isla Sorna map in RTJP was interesting just it was too small.

So I hope the maps are based on the islands from the movies, they are bigger and are made unique and interesting in some other way than just size.

I also hope we get a full day and night cycle in the sequel or at least an option.

I like hearing that there will be maps for the main campaign/story and the Chaos Theory mode. That means we should have a lot of interesting maps to use. At least I hope they are interesting. From what I have read and seen they should be.

Chaos Theory is said to have what if scenarios from all movies in the franchise. So does that mean we will get maps that are based on the islands from the previous movies? I believe that would be the case. I would like to hear more about that eventually. I really liked the whole idea of building parks on the five islands from the movies. But some of them were kind of small. I know that was part of the challenge. But some of them were pretty good, like the Isla Nublar map we could unlock and the map we got in the RTJP DLC. Size was the only issue. Even the Isla Sorna map in RTJP was interesting just it was too small.

So I hope the maps are based on the islands from the movies, they are bigger and are made unique and interesting in some other way than just size.

I also hope we get a full day and night cycle in the sequel or at least an option.
Well, in Chaos Theory mode we could have..

JP1: Isla Nublar
JP2: Isla Sorna - San Diego
JP3: Isla Sorna
JW: Isla Nublar
JWFK: Isla Nublar - US Mansion
JWE: Isla Nublar, Sorna, Muerta, Matanceros, Pena, Tacano, Muerta East, Tacano research facility, Nublar North, Sanctuary, Nublar 93, Sorna 93

Definitely hoping for Sanctuary TBH

Last edited:
I'd hazard a guess that these bushes from the dev diary might be the native "forest" for the Desert challenge mode map (the map shown is still the campaign one by that logic though, with Cacti in the background).
Desert bushes cropped.png

@stefffff I’m sorry but I have to agree. I’m playing the first game as we speak and I’m trying to unlock everything for the Nintendo switch version. I can’t help but think the whole time I’m playing this is totally unnecessary for just wanting to play a sandbox mode. Would not be interested in doing it again for the sequel.
Same. I rented the PS4 version of the first game from GameFly, and I gave up on it after about two or three weeks because I got sick of having to do a bunch of tedious busywork just to unlock everything. Literally all I wanted out of the game was a sandbox mode similar to what Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis had, where you're free to research and build stuff as you see fit, but Evolution failed to deliver that. I don't mind going through a tech tree to research new technology or gathering fossils to acquire the DNA to clone dinosaurs, but making it so that the majority of structures and dinosaurs are literally impossible to obtain unless we go play through a 20-hour campaign and complete a bunch of arbitrary chores? That's a deal breaker.

It's a shame, because I was really excited about the expanded roster of animals, especially the addition of aquatic and flying animals. But the game could include literally every species of dinosaur and ancient reptile ever discovered, and it would still be a hard pass if it forces us to jump through a bunch of hoops just to get a proper sandbox mode. Oh well, at least Prehistoric Kingdom still looks amazing.

(I don't know where else to put this, but another big reason I quit on the first game was because of the tedious mobile game mechanics. It's really not fun to have to keep refilling the animal feeders every five minutes. I know you can "automate" the process by sending ranger teams out to do it, but the AI and pathfinding for the ranger jeeps was so horrendous, they would often drive right into my dinosaurs, which just caused more problems, so I would end up having to take control and fill the feeders manually, and when you have a large park with several exhibits that each have multiple feeders, the whole process quickly becomes insufferable.)

Jens Erik

Senior Community Manager
Frontier
Hey @Bojangles123!

You will still need to unlock buildings and mechanics for Sandbox Mode, however you can unlock these by researching them in any mode in the game. You don't have to play through the Campaign like in Jurassic World Evolution 1. You can unlock features for Sandbox Mode in Challenge Mode, for example.

As for the timers, you can speed up time at will to cut down on waiting for things to finish (like buildings being built).

Hey @Bojangles123!

You don't have to play through the Campaign like in Jurassic World Evolution 1. You can unlock features for Sandbox Mode in Challenge Mode, for example.
That still doesn't address the issue that I and others had, that you have to go into a separate game mode to unlock things for Sandbox Mode. Why can't we just research and unlock things directly in Sandbox Mode, and cut out that extra step?

That still doesn't address the issue that I and others had, that you have to go into a separate game mode to unlock things for Sandbox Mode. Why can't we just research and unlock things directly in Sandbox Mode, and cut out that extra step?
"Operation Genesis" is the mode you seem to be referring to in JPOG, Challenge mode is the equivalent of that (In JWE1 it is quite literally the same idea, but with difficulty levels and recording the time taken. For JWE2 it's a bit more variable per map).

The closest JPOG had to a sandbox was "Site B", something quite a bit more restricted, though mods opened that up into a typical sandbox mode (unlimited money, all research done, etc).

Last edited:
"Operation Genesis" is the mode you seem to be referring to in JPOG, Challenge mode is the equivalent of that (In JWE1 it is quite literally the same idea, but with difficulty levels and recording the time taken. For JWE2 it's a bit more variable per map).

The closest JPOG had to a sandbox was "Site B", something quite a bit more restricted, though mods opened that up into a typical sandbox mode (unlimited money, all research done, etc).
There is one difference here between the two games. JPOG developers implemented cheat codes into their game so you could unlock everything from the beginning if you wanted to play it as a sandbox mode. No mods needed. Don't see anything like that in JWE.

There is one difference here between the two games. JPOG developers implemented cheat codes into their game so you could unlock everything from the beginning if you wanted to play it as a sandbox mode. No mods needed. Don't see anything like that in JWE.
It's rare to see cheat codes in modern games, my impression is that it's really a thing of the past (primarily they are dev shortcuts, I'm guessing they've been seen as unprofessional to leave in).

If you want a sandbox with basically everything unlocked from the start, that's fair enough to want/expect, other games of the modern era provide that, like Planet Zoo.

If you want a sandbox with basically everything unlocked from the start, that's fair enough to want/expect, other games of the modern era provide that, like Planet Zoo.
And I think this is the main point that people have when they complain about the sandbox in JWE2. The hurdles you have to take to get there just feel like a time sink for people who mainly enjoy sandbox mode. Just imagine watching a JP/JW movie and it takes 2 hours until you see the first dinosaur.

The weird part is that quite a lot of people criticised this already in the first game. So why Frontier does the same thing again is really baffling to me.

And I think this is the main point that people have when they complain about the sandbox in JWE2. The hurdles you have to take to get there just feel like a time sink for people who mainly enjoy sandbox mode. Just imagine watching a JP/JW movie and it takes 2 hours until you see the first dinosaur.

The weird part is that quite a lot of people criticised this already in the first game. So why Frontier does the same thing again is really baffling to me.
To avoid accidental spoilers.

Top Bottom