Feature Focus: Challenge and Sandbox Mode

Because I don't want to spoil myself accidentally. And because I enjoy unlocking stuff, while learning how to play.
Then you can go into challenge or campaign right away. I still don't get your point.

Or you can adjust sandbox before entering it like in Cities:Skylines or Megaquarium.

Select if you want to unlock everything: yes/no
Select if you want to unlock all dinosaurs: yes/no
Select if you want to unlock all buildings/technologies: yes/no
Select what star level you want to start at: 1/2/3/4/5

And I think this is the main point that people have when they complain about the sandbox in JWE2. The hurdles you have to take to get there just feel like a time sink for people who mainly enjoy sandbox mode. Just imagine watching a JP/JW movie and it takes 2 hours until you see the first dinosaur.

The weird part is that quite a lot of people criticised this already in the first game. So why Frontier does the same thing again is really baffling to me.
It's hard to say why, what can be said is the reason behind doing it originally likely still exists (whether a Universal stipulation, or a belief that kids should be taught to work for things, as examples), and that reason isn't likely to go away.

Then you can go into challenge or campaign right away. I still don't get your point.

Or you can adjust sandbox before entering it like in Cities:Skylines or Megaquarium.

Select if you want to unlock everything: yes/no
Select if you want to unlock all dinosaurs: yes/no
Select if you want to unlock all buildings/technologies: yes/no
Select what star level you want to start at: 1/2/3/4/5
That's a more elaborate version of the switch I proposed?

I don't like that way of reasoning as it implies there is no work involved in sandbox if there is no obvious reward system.
When dealing with children specifically, I would think the obvious reward is the way to go (that said, I was certainly not a smart child).

When dealing with children specifically, I would think the obvious reward is the way to go (that said, I was certainly not a smart child).
As someone who studies to become a teacher, I can tell you that this is a complicated topic. It heavily depends on what you want to achieve.
If you, for example, want to train the creative abilities of your child by dropping a bucket with legos on it, you probably won't use obvious rewards that much (unles you hold half the pieces hostage and will only allow the child to play with them once he build certain structures).
Instead your child has to make up his own rewards and work towards self made goals. Also a skill that is highly important.
Because I don't think the engine can re-lock things once they are unlocked.
I kinda doubt this as Planet Zoo needed an extra Update so that your research is shared across your franchise zoos (Update 1.2).
But even if it isn't possible I still don't see why sandbox should be locked. If you want to research your way up, that's fine and you have already two modes for that. Why do you need a third?
What prevents you from ignoring sandbox and jumping right into one of the other modes?

"Operation Genesis" is the mode you seem to be referring to in JPOG, Challenge mode is the equivalent of that (In JWE1 it is quite literally the same idea, but with difficulty levels and recording the time taken. For JWE2 it's a bit more variable per map).
Yes, the Operation Genesis mode is exactly what I was referring to. A mode where you build a park from scratch with complete freedom to do it however you want, and the only restriction is that you need to research new structures before you can build them, and you need to gather fossils to get DNA before you can breed dinosaurs, but eventually you will be able to build/breed everything, without having it gated off until you fulfill some requirements in a separate game mode. Looking at the OP in this thread, it does not sound like Challenge Mode will be like that, because it says there will be specific requirements you have to fulfill, and maybe restrictions such as only being able to breed 15 types of dinosaurs on higher difficulties.

The old Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis game had different gameplay modes, as well (I think they were called Exercises and Missions, if I remember correctly), but you weren't required to play any of them to unlock content for the Operation Genesis mode. You didn't have to complete X mission before you could breed a T. rex in Operation Genesis mode, for example. The only thing you had to unlock in that game was Site B, which wasn't really a sandbox mode because you couldn't build a park in it, you would just breed dinosaurs on an island and let them roam free.

Yes, the Operation Genesis mode is exactly what I was referring to. A mode where you build a park from scratch with complete freedom to do it however you want, and the only restriction is that you need to research new structures before you can build them, and you need to gather fossils to get DNA before you can breed dinosaurs, but eventually you will be able to build/breed everything, without having it gated off until you fulfill some requirements in a separate game mode. Looking at the OP in this thread, it does not sound like Challenge Mode will be like that, because it says there will be specific requirements you have to fulfill, and maybe restrictions such as only being able to breed 15 types of dinosaurs on higher difficulties.

The old Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis game had different gameplay modes, as well (I think they were called Exercises and Missions, if I remember correctly), but you weren't required to play any of them to unlock content for the Operation Genesis mode. You didn't have to complete X mission before you could breed a T. rex in Operation Genesis mode, for example. The only thing you had to unlock in that game was Site B, which wasn't really a sandbox mode because you couldn't build a park in it, you would just breed dinosaurs on an island and let them roam free.
Challenge mode is closest thing you'll get to Operation Genesis. Fundamentally it is about reaching 5 stars, but you have the option to continue with the park afterwards. The time taken is recorded, but not used for anything apart from achievements. If you have negative funds for too long it ends the playthrough (same as Operation Genesis).

You have the entire roster and tech tree at your disposal in JWE1 (in JWE2 I'd suspect it's the same, even if restricted to breeding 15 on a specific map & difficulty, you can still select what those 15 are from the entire roster. Judging from the fact easy has such conditions, I'd imagine you can fail it and keep playing without potential for reward, or that the conditions lift after reaching 5 stars, it's something to ask about I think).

Hey Mr Jens Erik! I hope the team and you are excited to show off all your hard work as launch date approaches, just as the rest of us are. I do have one small question if you wouldn’t mind answering. Will buildings/ aesthetics from the campaign be accessible in sandbox? I’m specifically asking about the fence signs and skins spotting the Department of Fish and Wildlife logo. I love the idea of created a reserve, but would like it the fences and vehicles with said logo.

Top Bottom