Horizon. (another non sense)

I didn't use Horizon for over 2 months now because I'm stubborn and I wanted to believe Odyssey is as good but some circumstances (I'm not going to talk about it) forced me to launch Horizon so I play it and so I did for over 1 hr and I dare any and all of you who think Odyssey is worthy, go and play Horizon for ONE hour and tell me that Odyssey is GOOD.
Come on White Knights, come out from the shadows of Odysity and fight for what is DOOOOOoom.

R.jpg

I dare any and all of you who think Odyssey is worthy, go and play Horizon for ONE hour and tell me that Odyssey is GOOD.
Come on White Knights, come out from the shadows of Odysity and fight for what is DOOOOOoom.

I played Horizon for little more than one hour last Saturday and had fun rebuilding my wealth from nothing on my alt. Also played Odyssey yesterday for a couple hours on my main, had fun with that. But played Quake late in the evening, although I still have both the last DooMs installed.

QUAAAAAaake!

No, you are right, it doesn't work as well as "DOOOoom!". You just can't beat the real classics.

Deleted member 182079

D
I'm playing mostly Odyssey when I feel booting up Elite, although I've given Horizons a go a few times now and have to say it plays, feels and looks a lot more pleasant all-in-all. Odyssey in comparison feels it's about to CTD any minute, stutters, freezes (which made me re-enable FSR again last night, and I still had occasional drops into the red fps zone, in the docking bay of all places). I mean, even the opening splash sequence stutters.

What draws me to Odyssey are the planetary environments, I do think they look better there, at least when standing still - the problems begin when things start moving; LoD pop-in/out, jank, frame drops, lighting doing weird things, shadows flickering, textures not loading etc. It can look great but the stars (hur-dur) really need to align for that.

The other reason is that while I remain underwhelmed by EDO gameplay, it is more than what we have in Horizons, so purely from a variety perspective I feel like I'm missing out on something when I boot up Horizons - the problem is, when I actually engage in EDO stuff it's not really that much fun at all ... did a CZ yesterday, it was pretty boring and the AI was exceptionally dumb, standing still in the open waiting for me to shoot at them - all while the game chugged along at an inconsistent 30ish fps and lots of jank, despite FSR enabled.

I'm hoping performance improvements (whenever they actually appear) will make the entire experience more pleasant, but my concern is that it'll only highlight the shortcomings of the gameplay additions even further.

Deleted member 182079

D
The opening sequence stutters when played by an external movie app too.

I did wonder if it was the game or the recording - it is the latter! ;)
It's hilarious tbh and so much in character with what's to come (when you play the actual game)... and it reminds me of the days of the PS1 - the early models had a heat issue where the disc laser was too close to the chipset which got quite hot, and the heat couldn't dissipate properly - this resulted in stuttery FMVs (usually the often quite nice intro videos games had back then), and the solution was to flip the console upside down.

Spoiling for a fight OP?

I think the consensus is Odyssey still needs work.

I'm also stubborn like you in that I refuse to launch Horizons and fire up Odyssey when i do play (which isn't that often at the moment as i'm still waiting for performance improvements so i can enjoy it).

But no point bemoaning what has changed. I mean, apart from performance the main things that come to mind are the new UI and planetary generation. The former might be improved through suggestions, but in general, its here to stay. Same with planetary generation, they aren't going to revert that.

So, depends on what you think specifically is better in Horizons, but i'm waiting for performance improvement. The rest i'll live with.

Deleted member 182079

D
Spoiling for a fight OP?

I think the consensus is Odyssey still needs work.

I'm also stubborn like you in that I refuse to launch Horizons and fire up Odyssey when i do play (which isn't that often at the moment as i'm still waiting for performance improvements so i can enjoy it).

But no point bemoaning what has changed. I mean, apart from performance the main things that come to mind are the new UI and planetary generation. The former might be improved through suggestions, but in general, its here to stay. Same with planetary generation, they aren't going to revert that.

So, depends on what you think specifically is better in Horizons, but i'm waiting for performance improvement. The rest i'll live with.
Depending on how much one values the look of their cosmetics, various effects that seem to have gone AWOL in EDO, or at least been muted, and the wonky lighting (EDO to me still feels less vibrant and a lot of detail is lost in darkness, despite the various updates).

For me this is almost worse than the performance issues as I have to constantly look at something that I personally consider worse, when comparing it to Horizons' visuals. And that's on top of the stutter, jank and half cooked gameplay that EDO bolts to the side of Horizons.

If I had the choice I would've preferred if EDO didn't change the way the game looks as a whole. Whether it was necessary to make new planet-tech work/look the way it does, not really sure but I think it was a poor call. But it means that Horizons as we know it will eventually cease to exist, and I'm not sure yet how I feel about it. I will probably get used to it but I always thought that graphics should improve over time, not get worse. Again, just to be clear, I'm talking about pure Horizons gameplay/environments here, mostly in space/stations/asteriod belts. Not planetside stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom