Newcomer / Intro Some dumb questions!

HI all,

I'm relatively new to Elite Dangerous (Horizons) and exploring around Deciat at the moment.
One thing that I am not clear about...

Is it safe to log off and leave your ship in space? How long does it persist for? Is it better to be docked / landed?
Presumably you can't just log out if you are under attack...

Also - is Deciat still dangerous? I have been in a few times now to Felicity Farseer in open and have still never encountered another commander (is this just luck on my part)?

CHeers

Is it safe to log off and leave your ship in space
Usually (>99.99%) yes. There are a few rare occasions near planets or rings where your ship might be in danger when you log in again (because the planet moved while your ship didn't), but in those cases the game is supposed to instantiate you at a sufficient distance.

Presumably you can't just log out if you are under attack...
If you are under attack (or any other situation where you might encounter damage), you get a (IIRC 15 seconds) logout timer. If you are not in a PvP situation, it's up to you to circumvent that timer (e.g. task kill). In a PvP situation, logging out via menu (and enduring the timer) is legal according to FD, although quite a few PvP pilots more or less strongly frown upon this.

is Deciat still dangerous
Depends - like all unorganized PxP - on your instancing. And on your ship and skills, of course. I haven't seen anything aggressive that would have been bigger than a Chieftain, but YMMV.

As said, no need to dock up before logging out. I'm 35kLy from the bubble - no way I can dock. I like sometimes to land on a planet before retiring, just to get a better view when I log in, but its not necessary.

My alt account has recently done a heap of engineering and encountered no gankers in Deciat or other engineers - I think the seal-clubbers got bored and have moved on. More likely to get attacked at Community Goals.

No need to log out if you are attacked - submit to the interdiction (this is important as if you let them pull you then you lose control of your ship for a period) and then boost away from them as hard as you can (4pips to engines) until you can high wake to another system. Once you have gone they probably wont follow you (many gank ships have poor jump range and they cant be bothered), and if you are worried it will happen again, then you can revert to Solo until docked.

Situational awareness is also key - when you jump in, if there are hollow squares near the star then immediately program a possible jump to speed up your escape, just in case. Also not all CMDRs are gankers - no need to panic. I see many low wake immediately I jump in - that doesnt help them as its easy enough to follow the wake and I'm only likely to give them an o7 and say Hi.

Even if you fail to escape, then as long as you have enough credits, you can always rebuy and switch to solo. Never fly without rebuy :) Credits are easy to come by - its not worth the risk.

I picked up the tip around rebuy. I have to say that I haven't noticed any other real pilots yet, but I may just be being unobservant!

At the moment I am mostly trying to harvest materials to get my cobra a bit more modded via Farseer and to juggle power needs.
My only mistake thus far has been fighting off a pirate and knocking the T button - thus targeting a police viper. Let's just say I got to try out the rebuy function.

Thanks all for the tips. Nice to know that I don't need to dock before logging out - especially when I am chasing materials into deeper space!

Aha - another dumb newb question. WHat's the difference between LOCAL and SYSTEM in terms of Chat?
"Local" means it's in your instance. (Kind of a bubble around your ship in normal space. For example a space station and its vicinity or a planet surface where you landed. NPCs and players you can "see" live here.)
"System" means a system-wide communication. (I.e. every player who's in the same system, even if they aren't in your instance.)

In a PvP situation, logging out via menu (and enduring the timer) is legal according to FD, although quite a few PvP pilots more or less strongly frown upon this.
Well yes, if they're rubbish and slow - like giggling Beavis and Butthead type gankers rather than proper PvP experts. It's set at 15 seconds because any decent PvP pilot will kill you within that time.

Well yes, if they're rubbish and slow - like giggling Beavis and Butthead type gankers rather than proper PvP experts. It's set at 15 seconds because any decent PvP pilot will kill you within that time.
Depends on your definition of "decent".
If "decent" means "posessing a ship that can kill a newbie in 15 seconds" then yes.

But to me, a "decent PvP pilot" is a pilot who doesn't pick fights with ships they can kill within 15 seconds. ;)

Depends on your definition of "decent".
If "decent" means "posessing a ship that can kill a newbie in 15 seconds" then yes.

But to me, a "decent PvP pilot" is a pilot who doesn't pick fights with ships they can kill within 15 seconds. ;)
Yeah - I had my first encounter in Deciat with a would be ganker. I did initially take him on but he was cutting through my shields like butter. Luckily I had engineered my thrusters to the max and running away worked nicely. He then interdicted me again - this time the cops turned up as I was running away. Made it intact though, but with a hefty repair bill!

Top Bottom