*******Odyssey: Console Release ETA. *******

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Best ETA indicator is the state of PC fixes, for better or worse.
How can this be measured? Good, goooder, goooodest? ;) (wrong word playing in terms of grammar intended :rolleyes:)

Somehow I still wonder how the tiny team of hello games (i think its round about 6 guys) made a good game (No mans sky) and created whole bunches of new content every few months, while being such a tiny company. And FDev.... yeah... even a snail is faster - and it was as slow already before EDO. I would guess, there is only one dev on the computer, when I look back at the last 5 years of ED. Yes the graphics of No mans sky is a bit childish, but it's a working game with floods of new content and made by so few guys.... What are the FDevs doing in the same amount of time? Or are the guys from hello games so much more competent and on the way to the nobel prize? I don't know. So many years I saw so few progress in ED. Some "new modules" came, that only tuned the shipx's statistics. Yeah, great dev work. IF moduleX.installed = true THEN jumprange:=jumprange+10,5 LY.... yay. Graphicswise the new content of the last years is very very tiny (thargoids, guardian sites, carriers, ... full stop. Thats all ind the last YEARS). Most things were ship statistics tuning.

Somehow I don't see any measureable progress on the ED issue.

Another comparison: Ghost of tsushima (ps4 title). Within a year after release of an almost completely bugfree game (!) they delivered an additional multiplayer, several modes for it and just now a whole new big single player DLC, which adds a whole new huge island, many new mechanics and stuff... yeah. Looks extremely awesome, even on my basic ps4. Great job, sucker punch studios, great job. And the big dlc is only 10 Euros. Nice deal, compared to the development needed for this. I loved every second of my playthroughs.

For a life service game FDev is underperforming in terms of produced product increment output per time unit. A snail is faster.

To my mind, ED is no life service game. It's a lets-see-if-we-get-the-one-dev-to-do-something-title. Oh nooooo, he just emptied his coffee mug into the keyboard. Mhhh... let's postpone something "indefinitly"...

Nasty sarcasm in this article is free of charge and might contain traces of peanuts....

Last edited:
How can this be measured? Good, goooder, goooodest? ;) (wrong word playing in terms of grammar intended :rolleyes:)

Somehow I still wonder how the tiny team of hello games (i think its round about 6 guys) made a good game (No mans sky) and created whole bunches of new content every few months, while being such a tiny company. And FDev.... yeah... even a snail is faster - and it was as slow already before EDO. I would guess, there is only one dev on the computer, when I look back at the last 5 years of ED. Yes the graphics of No mans sky is a bit childish, but it's a working game with floods of new content and made by so few guys.... What are the FDevs doing in the same amount of time? Or are the guys from hello games so much more competent and on the way to the nobel prize? I don't know. So many years I saw so few progress in ED. Some "new modules" came, that only tuned the shipx's statistics. Yeah, great dev work. IF moduleX.installed = true THEN jumprange:=jumprange+10,5 LY.... yay. Graphicswise the new content of the last years is very very tiny (thargoids, guardian sites, carriers, ... full stop. Thats all ind the last YEARS). Most things were ship statistics tuning.

Somehow I don't see any measureable progress on the ED issue.

Another comparison: Ghost of tsushima (ps4 title). Within a year after release of an almost completely bugfree game (!) they delivered an additional multiplayer, several modes for it and just now a whole new big single player DLC, which adds a whole new huge island, many new mechanics and stuff... yeah. Looks extremely awesome, even on my basic ps4. Great job, sucker punch studios, great job. And the big dlc is only 10 Euros. Nice deal, compared to the development needed for this. I loved every second of my playthroughs.

For a life service game FDev is underperforming in terms of produced product increment output per time unit. A snail is faster.

To my mind, ED is no life service game. It's a lets-see-if-we-get-the-one-dev-to-do-something-title. Oh nooooo, he just emptied his coffee mug into the keyboard. Mhhh... let's postpone something "indefinitly"...

Nasty sacrasm in this article is free of charge and might contain traces of peanuts....
This made my day.

Somehow I still wonder how the tiny team of hello games (i think its round about 6 guys) made a good game (No mans sky) and created whole bunches of new content every few months, while being such a tiny company.

Hello Games are a private company. As long they have enough money to pay their employees and cover their expenses, they can afford to keep going and release free updates (that were supposed - more or less - to be included in the initial release)
Also they are not a publicly listed company and they dont have any responsibility to shareholders

Not at last, you seem to forget that initially NMS was a disaster and that kept going for a couple of years.

But yea, the grass is always greener in the other side. 🤷‍♂️

Hello Games are a private company. As long they have enough money to pay their employees and cover their expenses, they can afford to keep going and release free updates.
But we also know (thanks to Frontier being a public company) they are more than just covering the wages and expenses. What no-one in Frontier seems to have even tried to explain is why Odyssey was released in such a poor state.

Saying that they are aware of the problems and are doing their best to sort them, doesn't really inspire when the ball has been dropped so spectacularly in the first place. If Frontier come back in a similar way to Hello Games, that will be great, it's just they haven't really shown much evidence of that happening yet.

Rumour:
"A currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth."
"- be circulated as an unverified account"

I was beginning to wonder where my weekly response to console launch plans was coming this week 🥺
I do absolutely still hear your concerns and worries over this, but the only thing I can suggest is...keep hanging on to what we've updated you with so far and trust that the absolute truths on any plans will always come from us as...well...a verified source. Even if plans change or go ahead with roaring success, the facts will sprout always from us as the confirmation and never the speculation.

Right now, as I've said through all of the previous weeks on this:

"Ultimately, we believe it is right to focus our efforts on the core Elite Dangerous Odyssey experience for the platforms that we have released on, before opening up to more. We know that the work that we do to improve players’ experiences of Elite Dangerous Odyssey on PC will benefit other platforms in the future, but the dates and details of the console platforms are going to change. We do not want to rush into confirming any dates or changes this has on our console release, as we must remain fully focused on the core Elite experience. Only when we feel that the foundation of the PC release is solid, will we be able to re-lay our console roadmap on top." David Braben, Odyssey going forwards.

We still have...well...I won't lie - much to do to get Odyssey "solid", as David says there - and therefore we're cracking on with it until we're in a position to move forward.
This above statement still remains, because we haven't had any indication anywhere, across all departments and teams, that it's under major threat. Any news further will always come from us when we have it. Sorry it's not more for you.
So,just throwing this out there, how about releasing something for Horizons only( console)?, Like open up the Cole 70 sector, releasing some new ships, something to do with the guardians, c.g. outcomes that actually affect how things play out, new modules, anything. While we console players maybe fewer in numbers, we are still just as loyal, maybe more so, so in closing, I implore you, give us something,please .

So,just throwing this out there, how about releasing something for Horizons only( console)?, Like open up the Cole 70 sector, releasing some new ships, something to do with the guardians, c.g. outcomes that actually affect how things play out, new modules, anything. While we console players maybe fewer in numbers, we are still just as loyal, maybe more so, so in closing, I implore you, give us something,please .
Uh, I don't know, I don't need exclusives, stable game play experience is preferred...

Totally with you on that one mate but can already predict the answer "Presently our focus is on the Pc version of (O) until we get that where we want it Console development suspended indefinitely". The other day asked about plans for console that weren't related to (O) i.e. more about keeping console community engaged and got the response of Unable to say anything until they were at a stage where they could deliver these "plans" so basically another hang on. Tbh I'm started to get jaded with the whole thing so much so that now not sure I even want (O) anymore, don't get me wrong was buzzing initially but now because of Frontier's inability actually.....choice to withhold any information about consoles moving on ( I don't just mean (O) ) has just got me to a stage of meh about the whole thing.

The planetary tech would be nice, but someday we'll get that with Horizons anyway and the longer this drags out with the radio silence the more likely that's what I'll do.
I still do really hope though that they will throw us a bone at some point or maybe even some scraps lol

As an XBOX player who was excited about odyssey, I just want to say that I feel that console has been abandoned by frontier. I get it, the odyssey launch was bad. But then why was it even sent out in such a state?

Okay whats done is done, but no matter what is said, the ball was dropped and console players got NOTHING.

We could of at least been given the graphical updates. At least make things look nice and new for us...

But no.

Can we get ANY fixes?

Instancing fixes?
SLF lag fix?
balance changes (Tired of the FDL being the be-all-end-all.)
Weapon balance changes?
A decrease in Fleet carrier cost since the game has gotten uber boring with a last of progress...

graphical updates? (I know i said it twice. Thats how bad id like them.)

We console players got to watch PC step forward and progress, even with bugs and then we are told..."Yea, we will get around to you...whenever..."

Considering that we console player are as much paying customers as well its kind of unprofessional

As an XBOX player who was excited about odyssey, I just want to say that I feel that console has been abandoned by frontier. I get it, the odyssey launch was bad. But then why was it even sent out in such a state?

Okay whats done is done, but no matter what is said, the ball was dropped and console players got NOTHING.

We could of at least been given the graphical updates. At least make things look nice and new for us...

But no.

Can we get ANY fixes?

Instancing fixes?
SLF lag fix?
balance changes (Tired of the FDL being the be-all-end-all.)
Weapon balance changes?
A decrease in Fleet carrier cost since the game has gotten uber boring with a last of progress...

graphical updates? (I know i said it twice. Thats how bad id like them.)

We console players got to watch PC step forward and progress, even with bugs and then we are told..."Yea, we will get around to you...whenever..."

Considering that we console player are as much paying customers as well its kind of unprofessional
Again: I think they are working to get the PC version right and as soon as they are done fixing, they will start to work on the console version. Nobody said that they will abandon you guys.

And believe me... sometimes it's not a lot of fun to play the bugged stuff ^.^ I think you just have to be patient. I know that it sucks to wait, but I think it's still the fastest way to patch everything for one system first. There's a high probability that your reward will be a working addon from day one and not another Cyberpunk disaster.

Last edited:
Again: I think they are working to get the PC version right and as soon as they are done fixing, they will start to work on the console version. Nobody said that they will abandon you guys.

And believe me... sometimes it's not a lot of fun to play the bugged stuff ^.^ I think you just have to be patient. I know that it sucks to wait, but I think it's still the fastest way to patch everything for one system first. There's a high probability that your reward will be a working addon from day one and not another Cyberpunk disaster.
okay. but what about the any of the other suggestions i made?
...or...
...like...
ANYTHING to show the console gamers that they have been cast to the wind and left flapping in the breeze?

The problem is we would be patience, when we would see some significant improvements in EDO, but the only thing we see is, some little improvements and new feature which caused new bugs, which affected us, but we haven’t got anything to do with EDO.
What we see is, that they push new things out which breake EDO AGAIN, and then they need new updates to fix the new bugs. It’s like the spiral of devil.

THERE is no trace of the statement, braben made a few month ago. Which was clear, first improve and fix EDO on pc, then check the plans for consoles. The fact, that many of the pc cmdrs habe problems with the performance, they mentioned they will increase this point significant on update 8 and now? Update 8 brings some tweaks but the next step is to increase the performance at update 9? I mean cmon, first fix it then being new stuff. I know some pc cmdrs things we are selfish, but this isn’t true, we are wait for our promise, this was to Fix EDO, and not to bring new stuff which break it again.

The present situation has made me think of another question that Frontier probably won't answer.

What is the normal process for Windows and console development for a same day launch? Is the Windows version normally developed first then held until the console version is ready or is there to some degree simultaneous development, so that the development specific to each platform is done at the same time?

I think the question of many is: what is the objective, not subjective, limit for which the PC version is considered "ready"? It is obvious that people are confused and even irritated.
Agreed. But FDev won't deliver any info to measure their progress. It took so many EDO updates already. Things get fixed, things break. This sounds like a never ending story.

What are FDevs objective criteria? Sally said "make as perfect as possible" perfect is a goal, that will never reached.
What is needed to make EDO a MVP ? A minimum viable (functioning) product? Wanting to make something perfect is a foggy phrase.

I even wonder, if the CMs collect our frustration an take it to the management or if they are their firewall to keep the devs and business suit guys free of any negative emotions in ther sunshiny happiness cloud.

I know some pc cmdrs things we are selfish, but this isn’t true, we are wait for our promise, this was to Fix EDO, and not to bring new stuff which break it again.
There's a number of PC cmdrs that will say issues are the fault of consoles, from the UI/UX "it's designed for consoles!" or "we can't have X because consoles!" and definitely don't want to wait for consoles to get launched if it slows the PC side.

The whole - fix pc, consoles, new stuff - is why i'm on the DOOMed side now, as FDevs actions conflict with their words:

No word on console Odyssey release, but instead are working on this new stuff:

• Emotes
  • Four-player multicrew
  • Odyssey Colonia Engineers
  • Megaship interiors
  • cosmetics (for Horizons too, but still new content)
  • Mission additions and improvements
  • Twin-seat combat SRV
  • Moar Mission stuff
  • Fleet Carrier interiors

- console release? :unsure: nope not word...

Their actions are new stuff for PC, developers assigned to this and the next longer term updates, so this is not hopeful and directly contradicts their "roadmap" words.

• Emotes
  • Four-player multicrew
  • Megaship interiors
  • Twin-seat combat SRV
  • Moar Mission stuff
All this new stuff eats time from the coders, who should fix (!) EDO to re-enable console development. Someone said these new stuff is made by different people (designers yadayada...), but EVERY new feature has to implemented by the coders and fixed if implemented broken. This "new stuff" delays console launch even more.

Sorry, but the selfish fraction of the PC guys crys out for more and more features, ignoring us on console, who got NOTHING yet. If it keeps going on like this, this becomes a never ending story.
Do the PC guys NEED emotes right now? Really? This is kind of disrespect to us, that I mentioned here and there. Can't some of these features just wait until the console players could catch up?

Last edited:

• Emotes
  • Four-player multicrew
  • Megaship interiors
  • Twin-seat combat SRV
  • Moar Mission stuff

- console release? :unsure: nope not word...

Their actions are new stuff for PC, developers assigned to this and the next longer term updates, so this is not hopeful and directly contradicts their "roadmap" words.

Different teams.
They're not getting into consoles because of performance issues, maybe (hopefully) for lighting issues too.
None of those mentioned above would fix anything in terms of performance or would make EDO run on consoles.

Different teams.
They're not getting into consoles because of performance issues, maybe (hopefully) for lighting issues too.
None of those mentioned above would fix anything in terms of performance or would make EDO run on consoles.
Wrong. Every feature has to be implemented into EDs bugged spaghetti code base by the coders, too. It eats up their time too. And this is unneccessary, until EDO is available for all. It eats the time, the coders should spent to fix the Codebase to make it work on pc and re-enable console development.

The designer may prepare stuff like emotes, but the coder's attention should not be distracted from the important stuff. Emotes is something for ... later... very late...

Last edited:
yea, there are coders and coders
Yeah, and if there are so many coders that are able of coding, shouldn't they be assigned to help fixing EDO and prepare the porting to console, instead of inventing new bug sources and dev timesinks? Any new feature, that could delay the console release should be postponed "indefinetely".

And no, I don't watch their livestreams anymore. I'm sick of hearing which new things come to PC while there is no single word of real news for console. They can keep their livestreams, sorry.
This kind of communication causes so much players to leave and to be frustrated and irritated. Transparancy would help, but there is none.

The devs and the management live in a happy bubbly cloud, protected by the CMs who repeat the same mantra, that was given to the, by the Management. I strongly believe our frustration does not reach their level of existence.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom