General / Off-Topic Go for Launch, Captain

William Shatner's mission to space has been green lighted for tomorrow.
ZYTKlUsm.jpg

Shatner as seen in 1966, playing Captain Kirk during the real Space Race era.
He's the voice of the Orion voice pack for ED. Although he's going on his Star Trek cred, there's a little piece of Elite going to space too.

Update: new uniform-
oKzoG7Cm.jpg

Fortunately, no red shirts.

Last edited:
I've got this on in the background too because fair play, the actor formerly known as James Tiberius is 90 years old!
Countdown was held for about half an hour on 45 minutes, has restarted now though .. T - 34 minutes.

Every time I see Shatner I wonder if he's thinking "But it was only a part! I'm an actor, not a spaceman! I never signed up for this!". Peer pressure at its strongest :)

Phew - Glad it all ended well. The Blue Original capsule landings always look a bit amateur - a bunch of guys pulling on the parachute cables to no effect followed by the same set of blue steps that don't really reach up as far as the capsule door. Though I'm sure it all makes sense :)

Phew - Glad it all ended well. The Blue Original capsule landings always look a bit amateur - a bunch of guys pulling on the parachute cables to no effect followed by the same set of blue steps that don't really reach up as far as the capsule door. Though I'm sure it all makes sense :)

I get that from it as well. It reminds me a bit of recovering a hot air balloon but even getting aboard only happened about 20 minutes before lift off or something? Go on, hop in. lol

Quite a short flight, the Virgin experience might take it's time a little better. Mr Shatner sure seemed to enjoy the perspective though.

Quite a short flight, the Virgin experience might take it's time a little better. Mr Shatner sure seemed to enjoy it though.
I think I prefer the BO to V, just because it is an actual rocket, V seems more like an 'extreme' plane flight. Though really SpaceX with multiple days in zero G seems best - 3 days is long enough to take it all in and relax - the others seem to give 2 minutes to float & look at the view which isn't enough for me. I really don't see either BO or V getting many paying customer once the newness wears off.

I think I prefer the BO to V, just because it is an actual rocket, V seems more like an 'extreme' plane flight. Though really SpaceX with multiple days in zero G seems best - 3 days is long enough to take it all in and relax - the others seem to give 2 minutes to float & look at the view which isn't enough for me. I really don't see either BO or V getting many paying customer once the newness wears off.

I think one nice thing with Virgin's system is the similarity in the launch system with the Bell X-1, which has a pioneering Chuck Yeager romance to it and I suppose we are talking pleasure (or at best see the blue marble) flights after all. I like the engine on the Blue Origin but you're right, seems to be much more flexibility in payload on the Falcon rocket.

edit : back to the old ISS live feed then. Very disappointing, still no word on any Vulcans making first contact ;)
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDU-rZs-Ic4

Last edited:
“I’m overwhelmed. I had no idea. We were talking earlier, yeah, it’s going to be different – whatever that phrase is that you have a different view of things, it doesn’t begin to explain, to describe what, for me," he said upon exiting his Blue Origin flight.

This piece on the Ultraview effect was posted Sept 9, 2020:

Star Trek was first aired on Sept 8, 1966. It's good to see that the effect is salutary enough to affect Mr. Shatner, a man whose career depended on pretending he was there.

Top Bottom