Recommended joysticks? (stick only)

Looking for some recommendations for a joystick for the game. I currently have Honeycomb Alpha yoke and Bravo throttle along with Logitech rudder pedals that I use for flight sims and a friend just got me into this game. I've quickly realized that while the yoke is fine for trade/transport type stuff, it's going to be a pain for combat mostly because of the bands it uses to simulate elevator forces in an airplane on the pitch axis. So I'm thinking of picking up a stick to use with the throttle I already have as that part seems to be working great since it has lots of buttons etc. I had been thinking of picking up a Thrustmaster TCA Airbus stick already for flight sim use, it's swappable left or right hand and has about 16 buttons on it. Another friend that has a dual stick setup with a gaming chassis has VKB Gladiator NXT Premiums and was recommending those.

Just wondering if anyone has opinions on either of those sticks or recommendations for something else? I had originally been leaning toward the thrustmaster Airbus stick since it can be swapped between L/R hands as in the flight sims and IRL sitting left seat means the stick is in the left hand for those aircraft, but being right handed I definitely would want that for space combat I think.

The airbus stick is essentially a repackaged slightly higher spec. T16k. they're good at the budget end of the spectrum. The T16k sometimes has issues with the yaw potentiometer, some will fail very quickly (I've had 2 out of 3 fail) if you're happy to mod it yourself, there are guides to replace the pot with a hall sensor. I don't know if the airbus stick fixes that issue or not, but you're limited by the number of buttons on the stick itself. (base buttons are cumbersome in combat). The stick itself (T16k) is very accurate though and a pleasure to use.

Lots of peeps like the Warthog, I haven't had one so can't give much input except to say it doesn't have yaw so if that's important to you something to consider.

I had a Saitek (now Logitech X52 pro) looked the part, had loads of buttons and served me well for many years but ultimately I'd say the accuracy of the stick was sub par. The x56 is probably a better stick but it's a stick throttle combo so not ideal if you just want a stick.

CH products are worth a look, they look very basic but are well built and lots swear by them, I've not owned anything from them though so can't advise.

VKB or Virpil are the higher end stuff and if you have the money definitely worth looking at. I'm rocking dual Virpil Alphas and would hands down say they are the best investment I've ever made for gaming, high build quality, lots of buttons, accurate and you can swap out springs and cams to adjust the feel and behaviour of the stick to your requirements.

I would say if you just want to test the water with a new stick without committing too much money, go for the T16k or Airbus. If money is less of an issue have a look at the Warthog and see if it meets your needs or better yet go for the Virpil Alpha, just don't tell your significant other how much it cost ;)

The airbus stick is essentially a repackaged slightly higher spec. T16k. they're good at the budget end of the spectrum. The T16k sometimes has issues with the yaw potentiometer, some will fail very quickly (I've had 2 out of 3 fail) if you're happy to mod it yourself, there are guides to replace the pot with a hall sensor. I don't know if the airbus stick fixes that issue or not, but you're limited by the number of buttons on the stick itself. (base buttons are cumbersome in combat). The stick itself (T16k) is very accurate though and a pleasure to use.

Lots of peeps like the Warthog, I haven't had one so can't give much input except to say it doesn't have yaw so if that's important to you something to consider.

I had a Saitek (now Logitech X52 pro) looked the part, had loads of buttons and served me well for many years but ultimately I'd say the accuracy of the stick was sub par. The x56 is probably a better stick but it's a stick throttle combo so not ideal if you just want a stick.

CH products are worth a look, they look very basic but are well built and lots swear by them, I've not owned anything from them though so can't advise.

VKB or Virpil are the higher end stuff and if you have the money definitely worth looking at. I'm rocking dual Virpil Alphas and would hands down say they are the best investment I've ever made for gaming, high build quality, lots of buttons, accurate and you can swap out springs and cams to adjust the feel and behaviour of the stick to your requirements.

I would say if you just want to test the water with a new stick without committing too much money, go for the T16k or Airbus. If money is less of an issue have a look at the Warthog and see if it meets your needs or better yet go for the Virpil Alpha, just don't tell your significant other how much it cost ;)
Thanks for the input everyone. Yeah I did some looking and it seems like the Airbus stick does also have issues with the drifting yaw so that's no good. Although I'd still use rudder pedals but the yaw axis could still be used for something else so it would be preferable for it to work. I understand about the X52, I actually have one of the 1st gen ones that's like 15 years old sitting on the floor that the Honeycomb stuff replaced. It's ok, but so old that the "soft coating" on the stick part turned sticky and had to be stripped with alcohol last year and the throttle part has had drifting sensor ranges for years.

I'm going to go check out my friend's HOSAS setup with the dual VKB NXT Premiums and see how those are. I could go that route and then since I'd have a L and R handed stick I could use the L hand one in flightsims later for the airbus aircraft etc. The Virpil is definitely a bit much $$$ right now for sure.

Once you go from potentiometers to hall effect gear you'll never settle for anything less.
My old X52 supposedly had that but maybe it was just in the stick side and not on the throttle side. Would explain a lot. The stick still had full range though it was just never smooth because of that spring they had in it. The throttle however has "Topped out" on it's travel when looking at the axis in Windows well before it physically would stop at the full forward position for years. The ring twist controls on the throttle side would also "bottom out" virtually on one side before hitting the full travel physically as well and one of them wasn't even centered when it was in the center detent.

Virpil Alpha here as well - from X55,X56 , not comparable in quality/operation, the Virpil is a dream but not interchangeable L/R of course as you have to order either.
But if you had the $ you could have the one base and the L/R sticks.

There are better built bases than the Warthog, but overall the hog is solid, dependable, and at least for now - obtainable.

The one weakness is that the base will eventually wear out after several years but I find them pretty easy to repair. You can tear them down, grease the ball and change the springs to not only repair them but even improve the feel. That said, they are a huge improvement oob and anyone coming from a pot based stick will be stunned by the improvement in feel and accuracy.

I'd also recommend the MFG Crosswind pedals if you've been saving your lunch money for a few years...

I have a Slaw Device, but I don't know if he still makes them anymore. If so, I'm sure they are ridiculous expensive and would take months to get.

Also Virpil Alphas :).
If you want an ambidextrous stick, see if you can find a (used) Virpil Constellation Delta (sold mine when I switched over to the Alphas).

I have a Virpil base and I like it. It is more difficult to program and there is a rebound effect that I didn't like. It is certainly well built and I never did fully explore every combination of springs and cams available. Nice unit, but a bit more effort getting set up and customized to get the feel you want.

For that reason, I'm back on a stock Warthog and not unhappy about it. I'm sure I'll comeback to the Virpil base someday, but not anytime soon.

YMMV - Virpil makes great stuff

So I got to go try out my friend's dual VKB NXT Premium setup. Wow, uh I'm hooked. Still debating whether to start with a single RH stick and pair it with that Honeycomb throttle I have or just go all in get get a LH and RH VKB and be done with it.

edit: I did think about getting the LH one to match with the Airbus airliners I'd fly with it in the flight sim outside of Elite but I'm not sure that would work too well for space combat and aiming since I'm actually right handed

If you can - use different setups for ED and for other flight sims, especially if you are not flying combat planes.
I have Virpil grip, base, throttle and pedals for ED and i have Logitech yoke and throttle quadrant when i am flying planes in X-Plane 11. I don't fly airliners. Only small GA planes.
It sucks as i don't have enough space to keep them both out and ready. That's the reason i usually play ED for some period then switch to X-Plane.
Also i am considering switching to Honeycomb yoke and throttle in the future. These looks way better than the Logitech.

If you can - use different setups for ED and for other flight sims, especially if you are not flying combat planes.
I have Virpil grip, base, throttle and pedals for ED and i have Logitech yoke and throttle quadrant when i am flying planes in X-Plane 11. I don't fly airliners. Only small GA planes.
It sucks as i don't have enough space to keep them both out and ready. That's the reason i usually play ED for some period then switch to X-Plane.
Also i am considering switching to Honeycomb yoke and throttle in the future. These looks way better than the Logitech.
The Honeycomb stuff is really nice. It's like a medium price point between the Logitech and more expensive stuff. Yeah I think I'm really leaning towards a dual stick setup for ED. That leaves the other stuff including rudder pedals for the flight sims and the occasionally use of a stick instead of yoke in them.

Uh so yeah I did it. Just ordered dual VKB NXT Premiums. No mounts since I might try to do something custom instead of spending a couple hundred on two of theirs. If I can mount them to a plate or something I could theoretically use the clamps from my Honeycomb gear I already have to hold them down.

Sticks showed up Tuesday afternoon. Still working out bindings, but got at least the stuff I had bound to my other gear transferred over. Just have to remember where I put it all. I ran the profile through the edrefcard site though and downloaded them to have handy on a second monitor which helps. Still need to work on my combat skills now, but at least it doesn't feel like I'm trying to dogfight with a flying brick lol. Really liking these VKB sticks so far.

Top Bottom