State of the Game

I loved X2 but it was at a point in my life when I had plenty of time to both enjoy the flying about stuff and put a lot of effort in to the management element.
X4 looks like everything I wanted back then, but I just don't have the time to dedicate anymore so concerned that I wouldn't get the same enjoyment out of it.

Give it a go if you get a chance and as Ratty says, it's often on sale on steam or GOG.

I'll see if its discounted around xmas which is the only time I really buy games now.

I'm at the stage in Fallout 4 where it is becoming a management game because of the number of successful settlements... But at least I have a huge junk stash this time and can fortify nicely...
I warned you though to not have too many settlements this time around - it is a real chore and makes further exploration nearly impossible, because one of your settlements is always under attack and will get harmed if you don't show up, because the game is cheating in this case and decides randomly.

There is a guy called Tor Nørretranders who talks about how the brain works in The User Illusion (I think, its been a while), and that actions are disconnected from conscious thought for a small amount of time- so although we act, we are unconscious while our brains register 'reality'.

The other is that free will is really (well, chemically and physically) a set of electrochemical processes in matter- free will could very well be just collections of these formed from past experiences reacting to known and unknown events. In a deterministic universe the chain of events of matter would lead to these patterns and matter forming based on prior patterns acting on things before that. So from our point of view everything seems random, while from a universal point of view its inevitable.
deterministic is not predictable or making things inevitable - because there is deterministic chaos - which is a feature of certain functions - read this wiki article about a simple one, which shows this chaotic behavior - the logistic map

I warned you though to not have too many settlements this time around - it is a real chore and makes further exploration nearly impossible, because one of your settlements is always under attack and will get harmed if you don't show up, because the game is cheating in this case and decides randomly.

But they need your help!
In being 'forced' to start over (corrupt saves) a couple of months back I've been playing with acquired knowledge from the first (couple of years worth, but sporadic) play so have made fewer 'poor' decisions and found many more locations. (including another 3 vaults) Nuka World awaits, and the guaranteed carnage from it, with me now knowing how to bias the handing out of assets there to guarantee the 'revolt' which wouldn't happen the first time! Looking forward to being 'proper nasty' there and having Gage as companion for a time.

In being 'forced' to start over (corrupt saves) a couple of months back I've been playing with acquired knowledge from the first (couple of years worth, but sporadic) play so have made fewer 'poor' decisions and found many more locations. (including another 3 vaults) Nuka World awaits, and the guaranteed carnage from it, with me now knowing how to bias the handing out of assets there to guarantee the 'revolt' which wouldn't happen the first time! Looking forward to being 'proper nasty' there and having Gage as companion for a time.

It's a game I'd like to play but honestly, I can't because I hate insects in games 🤷‍♂️

deterministic is not predictable or making things inevitable - because there is deterministic chaos - which is a feature of certain functions - read this wiki article about a simple one, which shows this chaotic behavior - the logistic map

Inevitable was a poor choice of words for what I wanted to express- its more along the lines that 'chaos' is just what we record and experience but from a higher view is part of a predetermined chain- a bit like the theory of least time- light 'knows' the most efficient path so it takes it automatically.

I'd recommend Fallout: New Vegas over 3 and definitely 4 anytime, but the bugs are only a nuisance when you start a new game. Using VATS to expertly dismember them is quite satisfying.

What I meant was I have a severe phobia of bugs/insects/spiders/ender which means I'd turn the thing off as soon as I see one. My other phobia is thalassophobia which means ocean-based games are tricky for me lol

well, eventually a trick from fallout new vegas helps here - start a new game and create a save of it - and before loading your "corrupted" file, load this new game save first - and then your corrupted game - it worked this way in new vegas with corrupted saves, which worked again after doing it like this.

Inevitable was a poor choice of words for what I wanted to express- its more along the lines that 'chaos' is just what we record and experience but from a higher view is part of a predetermined chain- a bit like the theory of least time- light 'knows' the most efficient path so it takes it automatically.
the thing is that tiny changes in the parameters of these functions can lead to totally different outcomes - and in a world, where there is Heisenberg's uncertainty, this kind of tiny changes are plenty of all the time - so the whole thing is unpredictable in it's details - it can have an overall direction though, but the actual outcome will just be known once it has happened, but is unpredictable before it.

well, eventually a trick from fallout new vegas helps here - start a new game and create a save of it - and before loading your "corrupted" file, load this new game save first - and then your corrupted game - it worked this way in new vegas with corrupted saves, which worked again after doing it like this.
That was the second thing I tried... I'd read the same suggestion, possibly one of the Mods I was running broke something as the very early saves would load, but the last 50 or so just sat loading forever... Starting over wasn't bad, probably because, like starting ED over, I knew what I needed to do to get the initial progression dealt with. I'm only getting an occasional 'under attack' currently, as I did take some notice, but think I'm on 21 settlements (I'd meant to stop at 20) so just coming onto the 'management' radar.

Currently just got Curie her synth body and wandering around, hadn't even found her vault first time around!

the thing is that tiny changes in the parameters of these functions can lead to totally different outcomes - and in a world, where there is Heisenberg's uncertainty, this kind of tiny changes are plenty of all the time - so the whole thing is unpredictable in it's details - it can have an overall direction though, but the actual outcome will just be known once it has happened, but is unpredictable before it.
Wasn't it Everett who thought uncertainty across many worlds which were deterministic in nature?

That was the second thing I tried... I'd read the same suggestion, possibly one of the Mods I was running broke something as the very early saves would load, but the last 50 or so just sat loading forever... Starting over wasn't bad, probably because, like starting ED over, I knew what I needed to do to get the initial progression dealt with. I'm only getting an occasional 'under attack' currently, as I did take some notice, but think I'm on 21 settlements (I'd meant to stop at 20) so just coming onto the 'management' radar.

Currently just got Curie her synth body and wandering around, hadn't even found her vault first time around!
she has an investigative mind - wait for her wanting to explore her new humanly features of her body ;)

my favorite companion is Cait though - firstly I like her irish accent, secondly she is a tomboy like me, and as long as there are some caps to gain, she has no scruples - the only thing with Cait is, that she doesn't want you to take drugs after you healed her - you will have to do a whole lot of fighting and looting to compensate the effects it has on her, if you are taking drugs - but if you like to cause havoc she is your gal - always ready for a decent fight - I like her a lot.

Cait can get really angry if you sit around for too long just doing settlement stuff - she needs fighting and looting, just doing management stuff is not her thing and she will tell you clearly, what she is thinking about it in this case.

Last edited:
Top Bottom