So, frame-rates since the patch, how are yours?

A tale of two screenshots, no difference in graphical settings between them (1440p/Ultra/NoFSR), the only difference is one is from first loading the game while the other is from playing the game a bit.

Notice the GPU (6600 XT) is using half the power once it's frames start to tank.

20211029174400_1.jpg

20211029173657_1.jpg

Just took a mission to Uchida Munitions Hub in Tabit. Unplayable as I'm getting sub-1 fps when approaching.

1-2fps while in the settlement:

Last edited:
After about 8 or so changes in graphics settings, I gave up and just clicked on the 'MEDIUM' setting and let everything fall where it may. Getting between 60-90 FPS a few meters to 1 km off the ground at full speed, and between 70-95 FPS in the SRV. I'm about 14,000 ly from Colonia so I won't see any "in station" effects on these settings for a few weeks yet.

While I'd prefer to be able to set them back to ULTRA like it was for Horizons, I guess I'm stuck with it until update 9 or 10 fix it so ULTRA can be welcomed back with open arms.

I'm no programmer, but in my humble opinion, all FD had to do was keep the planets the way they were and just add atmosphere and a few plants. No idea why it had to break so much. Just my 2¢.

Last edited:
Consistantly better across the board until... one particular settlement.
Update 7 I was getting on average 30-40, now its 70-90. However I noticed a strange problem at one site and I don't know if it is related.

Donoso Hydroponics Collection on Baramanago 1

I was getting the usual ~70fps but then sudden drops to single digits for a few seconds, after which it would recover.
After repeating several times, turning off/on, open/solo etc etc.
I found one thing consistent, after killing all NPCs there would be a single invisible NPC I could target via the panels:

1635550619628.png

They would show as blank in the panel, then after going back then in staff list again, they would display.
Lat: 74.4189 - Long: -57.3145
Build 4.0.0.902

Feel free to try and reproduce it. I only hope it leads to a solution for all.

o7

P.S. Soneone pointed out I should bug track it, so here it is: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/44285

Last edited:
It's better overall but still got huge issues in settlements. FPS dropping to 5-10 for a good 15-20 sec quite often...have to stop moving, wait and then it'll raise back around 50. Not very gaming friendly right now in settlements.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Consistantly better across the board until... one particular settlement.
Update 7 I was getting on average 30-40, now its 70-90. However I noticed a strange problem at one site and I don't know if it is related.

Donoso Hydroponics Collection on Baramanago 1

I was getting the usual ~70fps but then sudden drops to single digits for a few seconds, after which it would recover.
After repeating several times, turning off/on, open/solo etc etc.
I found one thing consistent, after killing all NPCs there would be a single invisible NPC I could target via the panels:

View attachment 271995

They would show as blank in the panel, then after going back then in staff list again, they would display.
Lat: 74.4189 - Long: -57.3145
Build 4.0.0.902

Feel free to try and reproduce it. I only hope it leads to a solution for all.

o7

P.S. Soneone pointed out I should bug track it, so here it is: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/44285

I believe the missing NPC in the settlement monitor staff list is most likely a separate issue from the performance drops you were having and probably also independent from the invisible NPC bug. That monitor list missing NPC bug has been there for a while. After a few scrolls or log off / in to the monitor it tends to fix itself. All the cases where I had it happen the NPC was normally visible.

Alright, so I didn't actually try using FSR yet in Update 8 (which obviously always marginally improved my FPS). I've just landed at a settlement and got the usual 30-40 FPS at High (no downscaling). I've just enabled FSR and I'm getting... 30-40 FPS.

Ryzen 7 5800x
ROG RX 5700 XT OC

60 plus on settlements, drops to 30 on occasions.
80 in station's
Higher in other areas

Resolution at 1440

Good job

My own experience so far is that planet surfaces minus any settlements nearby have gotten a little better, at small settlements a truly miniscule improvement when on foot (so small that i wonder if it's my imagination) but every other location, largely the same as before. At a settlement i can just about scavenge for things, but couldn't really have a firefight. My buggy is still the worse method of experiencing low frame-rates, and still gives me motion sickness from the 'clash of the titans-esque' stop motion effect. This patch then not much use to me, but i have been hearing other people say they've noticed improvements, how's it been for you?
As poor as the rest- this really is a train wreck.

I'll take some pics and share them later.

i7-3930K @ 4.2GHz, Nvidia Titan Black native PCIe ×16 gen 3 cards ×2 in SLI, 64GB quad-channel RAM, Samsung 860 Pro 4TB SSD, Windows 7 Pro SP1

Horizons Vs. Odyssey...

Well, never mind. With the latest update today Odyssey just crashes for me when getting to the generating stuffs spinning things. So here's a pic of Horizons performance for now. We'll have to wait to see about Odyssey.

d4uO5Q3.png

Enjoy.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure observing the framerate at the same time than the bandwidth that, somehow, for reasons that escape me, their network calls are made in the same thread of the graphic thread, or it's causing interruptions on the graphic or main thread. You can observe when your bandwidth goes up, your framerate goes down. Weird...

I see significant improvements in space (from 120-180 to about 210)
On foot (in the black) seems to be 50+ easily (I think I've seen 80-100).
Ironically, SRV and ship near the surface tends to be 40-50.
This is all with Ultra but gpu terrain work cranked all the way down (had to, otherwise flying over terrain caused horrible stuttering).

In the bubble, I was still using High, but even that felt significantly better.

i7-6850K CPU @ 3.60GHz
GeForce GTX 1080 (8GB mem)
64GB mem
Linux/proton

Probably the biggest improvement for me is frame rates tend to recover more often without having to restart the client (a very nice thing as the first 5 minutes or so are horrible with long stalls).

[edit]Forgot: 1920x1080

Deleted member 182079

D
Was going to leave a positive comment last night - it's not perfect at all, but locking my frame rate to 45 eliminates most stutter and actually made for a reasonable experience as the game could hit that in almost all scenarios I played - but then I tried a High CZ (haven't done them a lot yet). Barely playable jankfest with regular drops into the red zone.

Combined with the bullet sponge enemies requiring constant reload and weapon switching that was a pretty unpleasant experience. Still a very very long way to go it seems.

EDIT - just tried another location (High CZ still), and it was better. Frontier have truly mastered the art of RNG.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the missing NPC in the settlement monitor staff list is most likely a separate issue from the performance drops you were having and probably also independent from the invisible NPC bug. That monitor list missing NPC bug has been there for a while. After a few scrolls or log off / in to the monitor it tends to fix itself. All the cases where I had it happen the NPC was normally visible.
Separate perhaps, but there is a definate correlation. I have seen it in several settlements now. Whenever I find a 'ghost' NPC that cannot be found on the grounds, per is awful. I even had a case where after I shut the power off, the NPC appeared and the perf was then 60+ from there after.

A difficult bug to repro for sure, but there is absolutely some link there.

Running better now, but I’m finding the graphics settings to be confusing these days.
Either way, it’d be nice to get SLI support back.

:D S

Running better now, but I’m finding the graphics settings to be confusing these days.
Either way, it’d be nice to get SLI support back.

:D S
From what I could tell of update 8 when it was still running for me and earlier versions of Odyssey, they do actually use SLI from being implemented in earlier versions of the game, it just doesn't play nice with it, unfortunately.

Anyway, yes, getting SLI working properly in Odyssey would be a great benefit for me. It works brilliantly for me in Horizons (see my former post in the thread).

Cheers.

Top Bottom