So, frame-rates since the patch, how are yours?

I have significant improvements everywhere, except at settlements on my 6GB RTX 2060 at which point, performance tanks. CPU is an i7 9750H and the machine is running with 32GB of RAM. The game is loading from an NVMe 1TB drive dedicated to E:D.

Attached are a few 2K screenshots showing the range of FPS I'm seeing in different settings. Settings are basically Ultra with the shadows and blur turned down or off.

In supercruise - 130-150fps (up from 110-120fps)
Screenshot_0785.jpg

In the hangar - 60-80fps (up from 50-60fps)
Screenshot_0790.jpg

On foot in a settlement (8-15fps)
Screenshot_0777.jpg

Walked away from the settlement and the fps increased but when I approach my ship, fps tanks again. It doesn't do this unless I'm near a settlement.

Screenshot_0778.jpg

I'm pretty sure observing the framerate at the same time than the bandwidth that, somehow, for reasons that escape me, their network calls are made in the same thread of the graphic thread, or it's causing interruptions on the graphic or main thread. You can observe when your bandwidth goes up, your framerate goes down. Weird...
A blocking sockets/synchronous network implementation could cause this sort of thread resource contention where things are waiting on the network to respond so everything grinds to a halt. It's an interesting observation, I've not looked at my bandwidth usage but ED(O) has typically very, very low network bandwidth requirements. I may see if I can observe the same.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/qjnu4o Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/qjnu4o/scary_halloween_effects/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

I was able to take a video of stuttering while in settlements. This also happens if you're in a ship and hovering over the settlement, then firing thrusters. Like it's checking for something it's not supposed to. I have my monitoring software overlay but it didnt go with the screen capture, i noticed GPU usage goes down to 0%, everything else stays the same.

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/qjnu4o Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/qjnu4o/scary_halloween_effects/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

I was able to take a video of stuttering while in settlements. This also happens if you're in a ship and hovering over the settlement, then firing thrusters. Like it's checking for something it's not supposed to. I have my monitoring software overlay but it didnt go with the screen capture, i noticed GPU usage goes down to 0%, everything else stays the same.
Somebody is offering $$$ if you can make 50 guards dance like that.

I have significant improvements everywhere, except at settlements on my 6GB RTX 2060 at which point, performance tanks. CPU is an i7 9750H and the machine is running with 32GB of RAM. The game is loading from an NVMe 1TB drive dedicated to E:D.

Attached are a few 2K screenshots showing the range of FPS I'm seeing in different settings. Settings are basically Ultra with the shadows and blur turned down or off.

In supercruise - 130-150fps (up from 110-120fps)
View attachment 272233
In the hangar - 60-80fps (up from 50-60fps)
View attachment 272235
On foot in a settlement (8-15fps)
View attachment 272234

Walked away from the settlement and the fps increased but when I approach my ship, fps tanks again. It doesn't do this unless I'm near a settlement.

View attachment 272232

I had the same issue with approaching my ship on the landing pad at a settlement and it froze for a few seconds. Happened a few times. Probably loading the ship interiors 😉😂😁

i7-3930K @ 4.2GHz, Nvidia Titan Black native PCIe ×16 gen 3 cards ×2 in SLI, 64GB quad-channel RAM, Samsung 860 Pro 4TB SSD, Windows 7 Pro SP1

Horizons Vs. Odyssey...

Well, never mind. With the latest update today Odyssey just crashes for me when getting to the generating stuffs spinning things. So here's a pic of Horizons performance for now. We'll have to wait to see about Odyssey.

d4uO5Q3.png

Enjoy.

Alight, finally I have an updated Odyssey performance pic from today for comparison. GPUs are running at a slightly higher clock rate than Horizons, but this isn't anything I changed, just how the drivers work and it doesn't actually make a significant nor even discernible difference in the results anyway.

yyQyWeW.png

The interesting part for me (I mean, you know, other than the 34 FPS vs 232 in Horizons) is that we can see that it is using SLI, just not effectively at all.

Having SLI implemented but apparently unsupported is something Frontier should sort out.

Last edited:
So I did some CZ today.

lol

Average of 20 FPS, sometime dropping to 5 and higher I can get is 35. Quite unplayable...but it's adding challenge though

NOthing.

They did nonthing and things are as before with more bugs added (loading time when exiting sc or ignoble lag in conflict zone).

Lightinign issue on planet still stays after 8 patches.

Definitly an unprofessional product.

Disappointed.

Lightinign issue on planet still stays after 8 patches.
After hearing some positive noises on this forum I tried out U8 over the weekend - out in the black so no combat zones to try out, but what happened to the headlights on the SRV? Not played since U6 but the beams break up, show slivers depending on the landscape undulation* or disappear entirely for a second. I do not remember this ever happening. Also micro stutters when breaking orbit, shadows only slightly better and the entire planet flashing before my eyes when coming out of the loading screen. Things seem to be regressing not getting better.
Not bothered applying for a popularity vote from the bug reporting system (couldn't be arxed to try on various planets as it gave me a headache - felt like it could induce epileptic seizures), I also didn't bother playing with graphical options - will try the game again after Xmas.

* It was a pretty rocky planet to be fair.

The station loading lag is acknowledged and being worked on:

It's strange that it has only been "acknowledged" and "being worked on" now, since the "station popping into existence" thing is nothing new, it has always been a thing. It's especially noticeable in special POI's (around agricultural installations and other non-landable orbital stations).

It's just that in Horizons the delay is much shorter (a fraction of a second) usually. It's an extremely stupid example of shoddy coding because you are literally dropping into these normal space instances after a loading screen (the blue tunnel). Who thought it was going to be a good idea to make the game load 3D assets right after a loading screen has ended?

Last edited:
I've seen about a 10 FPS increase on planets. Even better than that though, AMD CAS and AMD FSR no longer crash my game to desktop (update 7 and below they did). Meaning, I can get better visuals as well as the increased FPS. So for me update 8 has been excellent. Of course, I'd like to see more but that should be coming.

I've been taking a long break from the game, but I bought the Odyssey DLC to see how it runs on my aging PC (I originally bought it for Horizons). Initially I get 60fps when the game loads up the menu screen at the start. This then drops to 30fps after 20 seconds or so. I also get 60fps once I enter the game proper if docked at a space station but it again drops to around 30fps after a few seconds until I'm away from the station where it returns to 60fps. Planets are much lower around 20-30fps, even though I do remember someone said the new planet tech wouldn't be more demanding than the old.

I don't know for certain what's causing this, but at a guess I'd say my PC would be capable of running the game at 60fps around space stations, but something drops my performance to 30fps. As an former games developer, I'd guess the game engine is not culling and is rendering everything all at once, and this is using up resources, so once everything has loaded the fps takes a massive hit.

Culling is all about reducing, and it means to reduce the amount of work an engine has to do by only rendering what the player can see. So if the engine was only rendering what the player needs to see, the game would run a lot better.

TBH, I don't really understand why FDev felt they had to up the graphics. The game looked fine as it was and they'd probably not have had all the backlash from the players and community if they'd left things alone. There'd still be problems with Odyssey, but it would be limited to the usual bugs we get with all Fdev releases rather than the huge performance problems we have now.

I guess they never learned the old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Last edited:
I've been taking a long break from the game, but I bought the Odyssey DLC to see how it runs on my aging PC (I originally bought it for Horizons). Initially I get 60fps when the game loads up the menu screen at the start. This then drops to 30fps after 20 seconds or so. I also get 60fps once I enter the game proper if docked at a space station but it again drops to around 30fps after a few seconds until I'm away from the station where it returns to 60fps. Planets are much lower around 20-30fps, even though I do remember someone said the new planet tech wouldn't be more demanding than the old.

I don't know what's causing this (thought I can take a guess), but at a guess I'd say my PC would be capable of running the game at 60fps around space stations, but something drops my performance to 30fps. As an former games developer, I'd guess the game engine is not culling and is rendering everything all at once, and this is using up resources, so once everything has loaded the fps takes a massive hit.

Culling is all about reducing, and it means to reduce the amount of work an engine has to do by only rendering what the player can see. So if the engine was only rendering what the player needs to see, the game would run a lot better.

TBH, I don't really understand why FDev felt they had to up the graphics. The game looked fine as it was and they'd probably not have had all the backlash from the players and community if they'd left things alone.

I guess they never learned the old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
It seems to always run at about this rate for me regardless of settings with similar behavior.
I even took apart my graphics cards and put fresh thermal paste on them. I got a boost in performance with vsync off (bearing in mind that outside of testing I use vsync) in Horizons from about 190 FPS to 230 FPS.
No change in Odyssey.
Is it somehow unintentionally trying to lock me into 30 FPS in some situations – especially the main hanger menu?

It's really strange behavior and I don't understand how the game could run so comparatively poorly, like it just doesn't care.

Last edited:
Is it somehow unintentionally trying to lock me into 30 FPS in some situations – especially the main hanger menu?
If VSync is on, and your monitor is at 60Hz, then 59fps will become 30 as the sync was missed and the drivers need to wait for the next one.

It isn't on. For me Odyssey runs from like 30 to 35 FPS, pretty much regardless of settings.
Yep, same with me. Like I said, my PC is getting old, but the initial start up runs at 60fps for about 20 seconds or so, both on the menu at when docked at a space station at game start, and then drops to 30fps. It has to be some weird engine behavior (like I said above, I'd look at culling) rather than our hardware, especially as I've seen lots of reports on reddit and the steam forums of people with hardware that exceeds the games requirements suffering the same problem.

Short version:
  • overall performance better (y)
  • settlement stuttering worse (n)
Specs:
  • CPU - i5-6600
  • GPU - GTX 970 4gb
  • Mem - 16gb
  • SSD
Stuff:
Previously running EDO at 1920x1080 with either FSR supersampling set to "performance" (or manually scaled down to effective 1600x1200 - yuck), and other settings generally at med/high, framerates in concourse and settlements were steady ~30fps.
Some specific settlements had very bad stuttering down to ~3fps which generally cleared after a few mins, or once I'd euthanized the inhabitants; OR it stuttered in very specific areas, which when exited, returned to normal.

After update 8, I could run at same settings/resolution with FSR set to Quality and get 50-60ps in concourse and in settlements with some dipping to ~30fps.
Stuttering seems worse/more prolific than before, it seems to happen at more bases and doesn't "go away".

When it stutters, the NPC's seem to stay still, or just dance/twitch on the same spot. They didn't move, but they did seem able to rotate.

Deleted member 182079

D
Went out for a short exploration excursion (about 1k LYs out) to see what performance is like in the middle of nowhere.

I had already set my FPS limiter to 45fps to smoothen things out in the bubble, and the game managed to hit that about 80-90% of the time.

While completely flat, barren planets with no plants were usually stutter free, this wasn't the case in rocky, mountainous terrain with more rocks and plants present.

It's like playing frame rate limbo. Just a little bit lower, and then it'll be perfect. And then just a little bit more. Sigh.

It's a pity because some of the scenery actually looked quite atmospheric, so sure, great for screenshots. But when things start to move... oof. And I haven't even mentioned the lighting, shadows, rock scatter disappearing/reappearing at short distance, plant textures changing (some LoD transition presumably), losing the texture detail of the cockpit (even a relog didn't fix that, eventually it worked again) etc. etc.

So much more work to do, it's neverending.

Top Bottom