State of the Game

You should watch Das Boot if you have not already which was an excellent series about German WW2 submarines.
I guess I have watched it dozens of times meanwhile - the longer TV series and both movie versions - normal and directors cut. I have read the book as well, in german and in english - I wanted to find out, if those german jokes are somewhat good translated to english - decently enough, the english version is actually not bad at all. It is based on true history, but some aspects have been changed by dramatic reasons.

Btw there is a "new" TV series called "das Boot" as well, which is more about the resistance in La Rochelle than actual U-boat action - some of the scenes are harsh and gross though, not for the fainthearted. I find that important, because the contribution of the resistance in France is not often presented in a movie or TV series.

I guess I have watched it dozens of times meanwhile - the longer TV series and both movie versions - normal and directors cut. I have read the book as well, in german and in english - I wanted to find out, if those german jokes are somewhat good translated to english - decently enough, the english version is actually not bad at all. It is based on true history, but some aspects have been changed by dramatic reasons.

Btw there is a "new" TV series called "das Boot" as well, which is more about the resistance in La Rochelle than actual U-boat action - some of the scenes are harsh and gross though, not for the fainthearted. I find that important, because the contribution of the resistance in France is not often presented in a movie or TV series.
Personally I've only watched the original TV series, I hate when series are 'adapted' for film.

2.jpg

Personally I've only watched the original TV series, I hate when series are 'adapted' for film.
I actually think the tv series is the better one, because it shows as well the lengthy episodes of boredom and tediousness on a war patrol. Especially in those years, where the movie takes place. The "golden years" of U-boats are over, U-boat coverage is thinned out and hunting convoys in wolf packs is no longer a thing. People start as well to figure, that there is a huge discrepancy between what the government is telling them and what the actual state of the war is like. Most on the boat are just normal people, not Nazis, they do their duty, because they have to, but aren't conform with the dogma of the regime. The 1WO is a special character though, he didn't have to do that, he lived on a farm in Mexico and returned because he is intrigued by Nazi-dogma, but otherwise, there are no Nazis on the boat - just normal people who do their job because they had to.

and these strange phrases sometimes like - "sach mal, hast du Haare in der Nase? Weil ich hab Haar am Arsch, die können wir ja zusammenknoten" - "tell me, do you have nose hairs? Because I have hairs at my , we could knot them together" - totally silly and abstruse - made out of boredom.

Last edited:
I actually think the tv series is the better one, because it shows as well the lengthy episodes of boredom and tediousness on a war patrol. Especially in those years, where the movie takes place. The "golden years" of U-boats are over, U-boat coverage is thinned out and hunting convoys in wolf packs is no longer a thing. People start as well to figure, that there is a huge discrepancy between what the government is telling them and what the actual state of the war is like. Most on the boat are just normal people, not Nazis, they do their duty, because they have to, but aren't conform with the dogma of the regime. The 1WO is a special character though, he didn't have to do that, he lived on a farm in Mexico and returned because he is intrigued by Nazi-dogma, but otherwise, there are no Nazis on the boat - just normal people who do their job because they had to.
Its why its narrative (for me) works better than the 2018 series which flicks between on and off the boat. In the original you have the last night bravado, then the mission, and then coming home- and that you only really see the surface when the crew pops the hatch.

Its why its narrative (for me) works better than the 2018 series which flicks between on and off the boat. In the original you have the last night bravado, then the mission, and then coming home- and that you only really see the surface when the crew pops the hatch.
well, they have travelled most of the time on surface - the VIIc is much slower submerged and it would drain the batteries unnecessarily. U-boat commanders put as well a great deal on saving Diesel to stay for longer on a patrol - so they run the diesel just at half speed to make enough distance over ground while conserving the Diesel. When I'm playing in the later years, I tend to run submerged during the day at very slow speed in the patrol area - to conserve Diesel, but as well to be able to use passive sonar to detect a convoy or single runner - it protects as well somewhat from being air raided.

Once I have detected a target I surface to get quickly to 2 other locations to triangulate the position of the target - submerging again to do that by sonar, because that ship is normally far away - figure out it's possible course and speed and then plan where a good location is to intercept it - then I surface and run AK to the interception location and wait there submerged - checking the target's course and if I did my job right, the target will appear soon on the horizon and I can start to make the final calculation of it's course and speed, and when it is near enough, figure out what kind of vessel that is, then make exact measures of distance to target, bearing to target, it's speed - then setting up the torpedos - open the tubes - and wait until I can see it's flag - never sink a neutral ship - and once all is ok, I wait for the right moment that my torpedos can run in a straight line to the target - once I've fired my torpedos I just hope for the best, that they don't fail - material quality was not the best - and that I'll hit it in a critical spot to sink it quickly.

This kind of hunting down a target was not presented in the movie - but it is the preferred method - it is rare that one just gets a target location to go to - one has to figure out targets and where to intercept them by oneself most of the time - I like this hunting without to actually see the target for most of the time - and it is a good feeling when it finally appears on the horizon, running directly into the trap.

Last edited:
well, they have travelled most of the time on surface - the VIIc is much slower submerged and it would drain the batteries unnecessarily. U-boat commanders put as well a great deal on saving Diesel to stay for longer on a patrol - so they run the diesel just at half speed to make enough distance over ground while conserving the Diesel. When I'm playing in the later years, I tend to run submerged during the day at very slow speed in the patrol area - to conserve Diesel, but as well to be able to use passive sonar to detect a convoy or single runner - it protects as well somewhat from being air raided.

Once I have detected a target I surface to get quickly to 2 other locations to triangulate the position of the target - submerging again to do that by sonar, because that ship is normally far away - figure out it's possible course and speed and then plan where a good location is to intercept it - then I surface and run AK to the interception location and wait there submerged - checking the target's course and if I did my job right, the target will appear soon on the horizon and I can start to make the final calculation of it's course and speed, and when it is near enough, figure out what kind of vessel that is, then make exact measures of distance to target, bearing to target, it's speed - then setting up the torpedos - open the tubes - and wait until I can see it's flag - never sink a neutral ship - and once all is ok, I wait for the right moment that my torpedos can run in a straight line to the target - once I've fired my torpedos I just hope for the best, that they don't fail - material quality was not the best - and that I'll hit it in a critical spot to sink it quickly.

This kind of hunting down a target was not presented in the movie - but it is the preferred method - it is rare that one just gets a target location to go to - one has to figure out targets and where to intercept them by oneself most of the time - I like this hunting without to actually see the target for most of the time - and it is a good feeling when it finally appears on the horizon, running directly into the trap.
I know, its just a better use of the situation in the series because you feel the same emotions the crew do when on the surface compared to the claustrophobia submerged.

And like the hero we don't need or deserve, he's back to fight the forces of rubbish bacon!

you mean they're back to dilute the truth of the universe, state of game, and funny memes with lies and drivel and poor choices that put the greatest thread in existence at risk.

and also, i agree. uk bacon is rubbish. if fdev wanted some serious player cg action. they would have the bacon wars between a couple large minor factions in the game. that would get intense and be fun. better than this winking cat filler

you mean they're back to dilute the truth of the universe, state of game, and funny memes with lies and drivel and poor choices that put the greatest thread in existence at risk.

and also, i agree. uk bacon is rubbish. if fdev wanted some serious player cg action. they would have the bacon wars between a couple large minor factions in the game. that would get intense and be fun. better than this winking cat filler

We could never add more drivel than Mr or Mrs Logic could.

Top Bottom