State of the Game

This is the bit I'm trying to put my finger on.. I was so sure I wanted to play Odyssey, now I'm not so sure... I think I may need to go back to being a Horizons kinda pilot for a while and see how I go?
Yeah, you need to fall in love with spaceships again, I think.
I dunno if you're an original '84 player, but just trading and shooting is still the best part of Elite for me.

This is the bit I'm trying to put my finger on.. I was so sure I wanted to play Odyssey, now I'm not so sure... I think I may need to go back to being a Horizons kinda pilot for a while and see how I go?
Sorry to ask this (in this most hallowed of threads) but how does Horizons differ from Oddy? Is Oddy not just Horizons + legs + bad performance and dodgy shaders? (I've really not been paying attention.)

I'm not sure.. It's hard to put my finger on it... I used to spend hours per night playing (had my HOTAS bolted to the arms of my chair, and wore a baseball cap with IR LED's for head tracking), from the early beta through to Horizons (Which was a long time!), then I started to peeter a bit during the "Beyond" season... and stopped playing for a while. I was really geared up for Ody (even paid to play the Beta), and really enjoyed the first week, then they started making changes to it, and I started to go off it.... I think Ody looked (and played) best in that first week (or few days) of Beta, before they started tweaking things.

I'm not sure, I think I'm grasping at straws here... I think I'll have to start with a clean slate (and bolt my HOTAS back on!) and start from scratch, and maybe see if that head-tracking baseball cap still works...
I took a full year off - being away then coming back encouraged me to try stuff that I'd gotten bored or jaded by, and was able to approach it again with an open mind. I find I'm enjoying things more now that I was for maybe a year before my hiatus. Core mining itself is fun, but flying around looking for cores is beyond tedious.

Haven't tried Odyssey and probably won't until it's $10 in a sale. It isn't the kind of Elite I want to play.
I've been playing Ody nearly every day since it dropped, sometimes with friends, mostly alone, occasionally in Open.

Its all still new to me as I started playing in September 2020 and I have 1.3B in the bank.

Right now I'm just bopping around in a T7 visiting all landable atmospherics, some stations, some settlements and occasionally taking on-foot missions or ring mining. I'm really enjoying flying the T7.

Here is a screenshot I got recently...

Unbeatable_Squirrel_Girl_Beats_Up_the_Marvel_Universe!_Vol_1_1_Wraparound_Textless.jpg

Probably a take on the similar Deadpool comic, but as Stan Lee said "Whoever wins a superhero fight is whoever the writer wants to win".

:D S

Sorry to ask this (in this most hallowed of threads) but how does Horizons differ from Oddy? Is Oddy not just Horizons + legs + bad performance and dodgy shaders? (I've really not been paying attention.)
Oddy is much prettier, and you get to walk across pretty landscapes scanning the exact same organics skin over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Probably the most wrong comparison of anything ever made, but also unsurprisingly so.

i could have compared squirrel girl to he-man. One punch at least is also unbeatable, a comic character, not very strong looking, not very overwhelming personality wise. All things similar to squirrel girl.

Top Bottom