General / Off-Topic mRNA future?

Since the success of mRNA vaccines, smart money is moving to venture capitalize the tech for all kinds of purposes:

Moderna executives tout the company’s pipeline often—so we’ll be brief here. A cytomegalovirus candidate is the furthest along in the company’s prophylactic vaccine program, while other mid-stage assets include a personalized cancer vaccine and a localized regenerative therapeutic for the heart condition myocardial ischemia.
BioNTech, meanwhile, has dozens of assets in development for a host of common conditions: malaria, tuberculosis and even certain allergies. But where the German biotech is really making a mark is in oncology, where dozens of vaccines and therapeutics are in development. Just one is in phase 2: the Roche-partnered melanoma therapy BNT122. That drug is combined with Merck & Co.’s blockbuster Keytruda to treat metastatic melanoma in a study conducted with Roche’s Genentech.

Several Big Pharma peers have rushed to grab hold of a technology that could have incredible promise in developing therapeutics and vaccines for everything from oncology to lung diseases. Pfizer, for instance, sees mRNA taking a bigger bite out of its pipeline in the years to come after the success of the BioNTech partnership.

Last edited:
I believe this to be the case. I did look at some Lancet articles on this tech and read around one of it's main developers/innovators.

mRNA tech is prime stuff for doping. suddenly your own body produces the doping substance and nobody knows why.

If they are testing for a given substance, it's source is largely irrelevant.

Give me a break, even the quadruple jabbed get sick and spread the virus, I don't see it as a success and either does millions of other people.

They are objectively successful. Shorter development delay, with a demonstrably higher efficacy, and more robust immunity, than their more conventional alternatives/counterparts. Those that don't see the success are acceding to biases, or can't math.

It's true that even the fully vaccinated and boosted can still get sick and transmit the virus in question. However, such a statement ignores the significant degree of protection generally provided, protection that significantly reduces risk of becoming infected, the odds of getting sick from an infection, and the severity of symptomatic infections when they do occur. Body armor doesn't have to make the wearer invincible for it to be way better than going naked.

One of the few positive effects of this pandemic is in bringing mRNA vaccines and treatments into the mainstream.

One of the few positive effects of this pandemic is in bringing mRNA vaccines and treatments into the mainstream.

Yep, as always (and mostly unfortunate) - a crisis (wars, pandemics, etc) is the most efficient way to accelerate tech breakthroughs

There were some articles last year about mRNA divergent technologies used to restore optical nerves in mice while also helping cure cancer.

If they are testing for a given substance, it's source is largely irrelevant.

It's hardly an illegal substance when the body produced it? The crafty doper would do it with natural stuff. I'm not sure if you can actually use it for artificial substances. That is probably more future technology.

It's true that even the fully vaccinated and boosted can still get sick and transmit the virus in question.

Also the fact that even traditional vaccines never provided 100% coverage for the vaccinated, of recipients of the measles vaccine between 93% and 97% (depending on dosages and age) developed full immunity, the point with vaccination is they provide enough coverage so the virus or whatever we are vaccinating against can't spread easily, once you do that it's far easier to isolate and treat the few cases and eliminate it entirely from the population.

So no, being vaccinated doesn't mean you are automatically immune, but it might mean you don't die!

It's hardly an illegal substance when the body produced it? The crafty doper would do it with natural stuff. I'm not sure if you can actually use it for artificial substances. That is probably more future technology.

Well yes it can. In fact, you can, with some trouble, create a syndrome called auto brewery syndrome where your body produces alcohol and you are permanently drunk, but try driving and claiming this as a justification, driving drunk is driving drunk, where the alcohol comes from doesn't matter, you are still drunk!

Often it's not the substance that is banned, it's the concentration of it. Almost everyone makes testosterone, but if you have a comically high testosterone level for your sex and age, and no specific condition that can justify it, it's going to be seen as doping, even if the source cannot be determined. Same sort of thing applies to blood doping, where a competitor in an endurance event will store blood, have the red blood cells centrifuged out then reinjected a few days before an event. There is nothing illegal about using your own blood this way, but it's still extremely against the rules of most competitive endurance sports and having an elevated red blood cell count that cannot be explained will typically get you disqualified.

I'm sure there are countless other examples.

Well... There were some recent studies regarding placebo effect that proved that our brain can be tricked to make our body produce chemicals having the same effect with the chemicals taken as cure by the non-placebo group. And it kept working even after revealing the placebo simply by what was seemingly noted a perceived Pavlov conditioning effect
Sure, it was mostly about painkillers - but the ways our brain control our bodies is magical at times (think only about the mysterious instances of cured cancer with no traditional cures involved)

Now think of an Adrenaline rush and people doing seemingly impossible stuff while under its effects. And then imagine being able to have some controlled Adrenaline rushes
Would it be illegal to use a controlled Adrenaline rush in sports? Most probably yes if it's not a technique available to anyone else or if it contravenes to the spirit of the sport itself

Well... There were some recent studies regarding placebo effect that proved that our brain can be tricked to make our body produce chemicals having the same effect with the chemicals taken as cure by the non-placebo group. And it kept working even after revealing the placebo simply by what was seemingly noted a perceived Pavlov conditioning effect
Sure, it was mostly about painkillers - but the ways our brain control our bodies is magical at times (think only about the mysterious instances of cured cancer with no traditional cures involved)

Now think of an Adrenaline rush and people doing seemingly impossible stuff while under its effects. And then imagine being able to have some controlled Adrenaline rushes
Would it be illegal to use a controlled Adrenaline rush in sports? Most probably yes if it's not a technique available to anyone else or if it contravenes to the spirit of the sport itself
Yes, I mean - if it's not regulated by law properly then it's not legal / illegal. Legislation tends to lag behind technology sometimes.

Often it's not the substance that is banned, it's the concentration of it. Almost everyone makes testosterone, but if you have a comically high testosterone level for your sex and age, and no specific condition that can justify it, it's going to be seen as doping, even if the source cannot be determined. Same sort of thing applies to blood doping, where a competitor in an endurance event will store blood, have the red blood cells centrifuged out then reinjected a few days before an event. There is nothing illegal about using your own blood this way, but it's still extremely against the rules of most competitive endurance sports and having an elevated red blood cell count that cannot be explained will typically get you disqualified.

I'm sure there are countless other examples.
I imagine it is just way harder to prove that rules have been broken when it's doping by using own body substances. I remember there is this woman that technically is a man and the big discussion about whether she is allowed to compete in women's tournaments.

Off topic but there was this south african athlete handicapped with leg prosthesis and he was arguing his spring leg prostheses were legit and giving no advantages. I don't get how this was actually debated - anyone running with these can run faster, jump farther, higher.

Those that don't see the success are acceding to biases, or can't math.
Or we just see it as it is, 89% of people in Denmark infected with the Omnicron are either fully vaccinated or had their first booster,
77% of the population in Denmark is vaccinated and still the infection rate is going through the roof.

Israel same thing.

Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, must be an artifact.

is you can't discuss science it's not science it's propaganda and THAT'S THE TRUTH!!

Top Bottom